Sign in to follow this  
Wolfee Yaffle

I've been noticing an increasing amount of group invite spam with fees enabled

I've been an active estate manager in SL for about 6 or 7 years now and I know a scam when I see one. As of the past 6 months I usually get some random free account pop into the sim, spam group invites to everyone, then leave before they can be caught. On top of that theres a fee for entry to the group. I always have to remind people not to fall for it. As of the past few months however the number of times this happens in starting to increase. The sim I EM is a small residential estate, and after I'm done writing this post I plan to talk to my Owner about it to see if theres anything that can be done on his end. We like to keep access public so visitors can come in though. Has anyone else noticed this problem getting worse lately? I'm sure theres a legitimate reason out there somewhere why someone would need to have group fees, but in all my years I've never once used it. However I don't see a reason why the fee should be enabled for invites. Now if you're joining it from search, thats different, but for an invite I think the fee should be waved. That might knock out a lot of this activity once its no longer profitable. LL really needs to get on the ball and find some way to detect or combat this scam, because I've heard about it even as far back as 2004 yet it's still possible to do it.

I haven't seen an increase in that, but I always noticed somekind of scam and spam in chats and groups. It has always been here.

It's the newest scam. The avis will frequently be named close to the real person's name and create a "VIP" group for well known groups like Belleza (that already charges), Redgrave, etc. The group makers then grab the money and run. Basically, if you want to join a group, do it at the store not some random shout. We've had the same problem in the sim I'm an admin in.

Nods, scammers are here and active. Just this week several groups I belong to were SPAMed with a Phishing link to a Fake SL Login Page.

Wishing for those responsible to enjoy a special room in purgatory.

Wow. I never expected a backwater estate like where I work to be hit by such a thing. I would say I hope LL does something about it, but if they had plans to it would have been done in 2004 when I first heard about it going on.

It probably has nothing to do with the estate.  These people gather names from other groups, from search etc and use a bot to send the invites  in mass.  They don't have to be on your estate when they do it or anywhere near it at anytime.  So there is nothing you can do as an estate manager to stop it.  Just encourage your residents to file AR's against the offender for illegal spamming and fraud.

nothing new, been going on for years. Don't see an increase either, roughly the same level been going on for as long as I've been in second life, meaning 1-2 per week on average.

Then it's probably just either increasing for that particular sim, or a bot joined one of the sim groups. Either way this is something LL needs to take time to address.

Honestly, I'd prefer to just have invites negate the fee. It makes sense.

It will cut down on the spam, and people would be more likely to invite only if they really want that person in their group.