Current crop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I wonder if the so-called moderators will spot the current crop of one-off spam posts, or if the posts will survive if nobody reports them. I'm not going to report them.

ooooooooooooooooops

i reported one but they had three posts with links to non SL related services

i doubt very much that they would catch a "one-off."

jwenting wrote:

because we care about these forums, maybe?

You're also not paid to whine and complain, yet you do so incessantly. Why?

Perhaps for the same reason you do; i.e. I do it when I see something that merits it. Why do you do it?

Nevertheless, there are good things and bad things concerning this forum, SL, and LL. I only ever complain about things that genuinely merit it. I give praise where it's merited too.

jwenting wrote:

Whinning and complaining is what the internet was invented for. Complaining and looking  at pussies......................on lolcats.com, obviously.

Porky Gorky wrote:

jwenting wrote:

Whinning and complaining is what the internet was invented for. Complaining and looking  at pussies......................on lolcats.com, obviously.

meow, can I haz cheezeburger? :matte-motes-nerdy:

Phil Deakins wrote:

There are people who are paid to monitor the forums and deal with spam. We aren't paid to help them, so why do it?

If the only requirement or motivation to do anything was pay, then why do anything at all?

Firemen are paid to douse fires but if I were standing near your mother with a flame retardant blanket in  my arms and she were, Heaven forbid, on fire, would you ask me, "Why oh why did you extinguish her?!!" (that is, of course, assuming you have an inkling of care for your mother. If I knew she beat or hurt you I would let her burn.)

A3123 wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

There are people who are paid to monitor the forums and deal with spam. We aren't paid to help them, so why do it?

If the only requirement or motivation to do anything was pay, then why do anything at all?

Firemen are paid to douse fires but if I were standing near your mother with a flame retardant blanket in  my arms and she were, Heaven forbid, on fire, would you ask me, "Why oh why did you extinguish her?!!" (that is, of course, assuming you have an inkling of care for your mother. If I knew she beat or hurt you I would let her burn.)

Forum spam has always been upsetting to me, but I never really understood why.  I see now, as it rates in severity to my mother being on fire.

A3123 wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I've omitted your nonsense about a burning parent.

I didn't say or suggest anything about only doing things that we are paid to do, and the suggestion that I did is ridiculous.

The point about the so-called moderators here is that they *don't* do what they are here for and paid to do. Yes, they remove the spam but they are also here to moderate (a moderator moderates), and they don't do that. When they show that they actually moderate (do what they are paid to do), then I will be more than happy to assist by reporting the spam. Until then, I won't do it.

I'm thinking specifically about the warnings they issue without first engaging their brains.

Phil Deakins wrote:

A3123 wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I didn't say or suggest anything about only doing things that we are paid to do, and the suggestion that I did is ridiculous.

The point about the so-called moderators here is that they *don't* do what they are here for and paid to do. Yes, they remove the spam but they are also here to moderate (a moderator moderates), and they don't do that. When they show that they actually moderate (do what they are paid to do), then I will be more than happy to assist by reporting the spam. Until then, I won't do it.

I'm thinking specifically about the warnings they issue without first engaging their brains.

While they may be wearing the label "Moderator," actually we don't know the job description, requirements and responsibilities that Linden Lab has assigned them.  The onus is really on Linden Lab here, not the so called Moderators.

That thought has crossed my mind a number of times, Perrie. And their 'job description' may excuse them to some extent, but it can't excuse them for warning and suspending users when the users haven't done anything against the ToS, or in any wrong. But they do, and I can only think that do they do it without engaging their brains (laziness). I can't imagine that LL would tell them to warn and suspend merely on the receipt of RICs, regardless of whether or not the RICs are justified. That's what they do though. Surely, not even LL would tell them to do that. I am sure that it's just down to laziness. I.e. they don't *have* to check things out because nobody is looking over their shoulders, so they don't bother.

Phil Deakins wrote:

<snip>

And their 'job description' may excuse them to some extent, but it can't excuse them for warning and suspending users when the users haven't done anything against the ToS, or in any wrong. But they do, and I can only think that do they do it without engaging their brains (laziness).

</snip>

Oh, I agree with this also. 

We do hope that this gets taken into consideration when they do performance reviews.  But that may be a pipe dream.

Phil Deakins wrote:

A3123 wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

You asked why do i bother if I do not get paid for it, but the moderators do. My answer was life is more about doing things whether or not you get paid to do them.

If the moderators did not do their job wouldn't these forums be filled with spam? Yes. They are from time to time, but eventually it all gets removed. What is it specifically you have an issue with?

A3123 wrote:

You asked why do i bother if I do not get paid for it, but the moderators do. My answer was life is more about doing things whether or not you get paid to do them.

If the moderators did not do their job wouldn't these forums be filled with spam? Yes. They are from time to time, but eventually it all gets removed. What is it specifically you have an issue with?

I didn't ask you specifically but you are a forum user so you are included in the word "we". Your answer was absolutely correct - life is more about doing things whether or not we are paid to do them. But I already addressed that in detail, in my reply to your "mother" post.

In post #17 I already answered your question. Perhaps you've been replying to earlier posts as you read them and hadn't read post #17 when you wrote the one I'm replying to now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3878 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.