how do I streamI would like to do my song live on here im a reggae artist and rap artist

ten30theartist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

Until Karen, our resident expert, comes along, read http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Streaming_Music to get some background.  That page may answer most of your basic question.  If any of it is confusing or leaves you wanting to know more, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

One thing to note, which is at the start of the link Rolig provided, is that your streaming server/relay has to be able to maintain a stream of data to EACH person who is listening.  The technical bit is that you don't send your sound into SL, you just send the connection information to SL.  Each person listening then gets this information from SL and connects directly (it's like a sound-only web page) to your stream.

Sending text to lots of people is easy for any stable broadband connection.  Sending live sound is much more demanding, hence the strong recommendation, if not requirement, for a host/relay.  The situation is even worse for films and, predictably, films with sound - most people's broadband would struggle to stream films to even one other person, which is why YouTube and the 'video on demand' sevices have such massive infrastructure setup costs.

It can be really simple though, at the cost of some reliability and quality: how about just turning on voice in your viewer and singing?  That's free and will let you get started without needing anything extra :-)

• Like 1

Hey There Ten30theartist,

I'm tickled to see another artist making the jump into SecondLife to share their art with us all.

OKies here are the basics:

PREREQUISITES

1) A great PC or Mac with an excellent Sound System and Live Mixing software to start with. [ You should be able to play and record your performances for playback as a start. This allows you to set the leveling characteristics of your performance! You might add an external mixer as well to assist when using more than one mic.]

2) A Excellent Internet Service and connection: You need to pay attention to the speed up in the case of a live performance. I have a service that provides 10 mbps down and 1.5 mbps up. This serves me well when I choose to Live DJ at up to 192 kbps to my listeners

3) A broadcast streaming application such as Sam Cast that allows you to send the performance to a ShoutCast or IceCast Relay service.

4) a 50 or 100 listener ShoutCast or IceCast Relay Service. You can pick up one of these in SL for very little $$. This service provides the IP address and port that is plugged into the Land Music URL for all listeners to hear your performance.

GETTING IT DOWN

I also advise that you use a 2nd PC to monitor your chat traffic in SL and have someone man that for you while you perform. Using this PC to listen to your performance is not an option as the relay service causes a 10 - 45 second delay in the stream being sent to the listeners.

More to come...

A previous discussion regarding DJing and other slightly related topics.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Art-Music-and-Photography/DJing-in-SecondLife-The-2012-Version/m-p/1560779

A recommended mic system...

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/microphones/sm/sm58-x2u-usb-digital-bundle

A nice tutorial

http://irez.me/2013/03/01/singing-live-in-second-life/

P.S. - There is no reason for you to become a Premium Member unless you want to purchase land in Mainland or desire to avail yourself of one of the Premium Member promotional goodies.

• Like 2

Proof: http://community.secondlife.com

One word. It's "acceptable" to me. Then perhaps I'm just a more relaxed and accepting person. The urge to spend my life writing rants to people in green ink* has never struck me.

[*Green ink is a cultutal reference. Any letter written in green ink is 'known' to be a lunatic rant in media circles.]

I check my bank statement using a green pen to tick off transactions that match - has this got any significance to my mental state? o.O (or sometimes I use a purple one)

And sometimes I say SLife if I can't be arsed writing Second Life out in full.

And I've just realised this isn't in the General Discussions section whupps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3882 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.