I can't get my viewer to open

Mookie Firebrand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have done a dozen clean installs and almost everything to get SL to open on this laptop. Windows 7 . I did an update to phoenix and haven't been able to get on since. The program starts to open then sends report to server 1 that's it... HELP!------------------------------

OK to set the record straight . I am trying to run V3. This all started from updating FROM Phoenix to a new viewer. I have followed the directions to do a clean install. cleared temp files, cashes and any Second life file. I have tried a few different viewers also... I never can get to the window in time for the send to server1 message. I am also Not using the same download each time.. This has me baffled.. I thought I was semi computer savvy. So Please still Help!??

4 answers to this question

I'm not that good at technology questions, but one basic thing: Don't use Phoenix. This viewer doesn't work anymore in SL. More technical informations and general informations about your problem may help others to answer, because just the OS doesn't say much.

It sounds like corrupted install, have you downloaded a new version of the viewer each time you've done the install, seeing as the download itself could be corrupted.

Otherwise, I find it hard to suggest anything in particular, there are a few things you could attempt behind this link: http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/kit-login-fails-lots-of-logouts-summary.html

Also, as someone stated, Phoenix is very unstable with current SL, and might not wor at all for some.

You have guessed correctly that the message you are getting often means that one of your user settings files has been damaged.  Deleting the settings file or doing a completely clean re-install usually clears the problem.

Regardless of whatever else may be causing a problem, however, you should not be using the Phoenix viewer any more.  It is now obsolete, unsupported, and within weeks (or less) of being non-functional.  You should be trying to get a different viewer to let you log in.  If your machine can't handle V3 or Firestorm, or if you simply would rather not use either of them, you may want to try Singularity, Exodus, or Catznip.  Remove all traces of your current viewer first so that you start fresh.

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Mookie

Just to add to what others have already advised, Phoenix has become rather unusable, but the good news is that the Firestorm viewer does have a one-button option to use it in Phoenix mode.  (You can get Phoenix/Firestorm-specific advice once you are back inworld from the Phoenix/Firestorm support group - please see my profile groups list if you are not already in this group).

Back to your current problem though, when the "sending report to server1" message comes up, can you not just click the cross in the corner of it? This does sometimes happen when I log in, but if I just click to close the crash report message, the viewer does actually load.

As this Answers section doesn't have a "reply" button, you can add more to the thread by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit", or to respond to an individual post, you can use the "permalink" option bottom left hand corner of each post.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.