Does anyone remember the AOL Rhy'Din chat rooms?

Oryion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to live in those Old World taverns and forests. The adventure, the characters, the story lines... I couldn't get enough of it. If you ever had AOL back in the day and were an RPer then you probably ended up in the Rhy'Din rooms at some point. The role play in those rooms became tangible - you could smell the wood of the beams mingled with spilt ale in the taverns and could hear the breeze moving through the oak trees in the forests. The characters were my family and my friends, but eventually everyone grew up or went to college, killing off characters and bringing story lines that had been ongoing for a few years, to an end.
A decade later, I discovered these rooms don't exist anymore. I have to say, when I realised I can't find them because they aren't there anymore, I was upset. I felt like an important piece of my past was missing.
But now, we have Second Life, a beautifully complicated means of role playing that can grant me this wish - revive Rhy'Din!
Who will join me on this quest?

I'm relatively new to SLbut I easily qualify as a veteran of AOL RPActuallyI just left that platform last year

due to the dwindling availability of quality roleplayI'm interested in applying my RP skills in SLso if you don't 

mind that I'm a beginnerplease IM me sometime.

Yes yes yes! I was in old Rhy'Din in the Medieval Tavern.. good times in those old day with REAL roleplay!

Right now I built a medieval sim with the goal to gather actual real roleplayers, its called Artemis Island. Feel free to contact me in SL under "Cathereine Night" back in the old days I used the AOL screennames LadyMystica and AroraCRose.

• 1 year later...

God that brings back memories. I was 14 and the Rhy'Din chat rooms were the first places I ever RP'd. I learned about RP from them and I've loved every moment of RP I'd had since my very first one. A decade and a half later I'm still RPing up a storm when I can.

I stopped RPing in AOL chatrooms over a decade ago, thanks for brining those memories back. Makes me want to revive my old character from back then.

I am SO excited that someone made a thread regarding Rhy'Din.  Thank you!!  I have not had AOL in ages.  I'm in my 20's now, but I was just a kid when I role-played in those rooms.  I made so many lovely friends and the quality of writing was amazing.  It inspired me to become a fantasy-fiction writer.  Do they still have any of the old taverns and other fantasy chatrooms up at all?  That would be my only reason to reactivate AOL. 

These are bittersweet memories.  I've been desperately searching for something comparable lately.  Second Life is not my cup of tea.  I am now longing for the "old days".  :matte-motes-not-even:

R.I.P Cerise Eventide/Rhy'Din childhood

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, ok, so I guess I wasn't expecting any response so I made the thread then didn't even pop back to check on it.... It's awesome to see there are people here on SL who followed the same path as me when it came to RP! Well even a few years after I created this thread, I'm still game for some Rhy'Din RP. Feel free to hit me up on SL you guys <3

• 10 months later...

I was involved in the AOL chat rooms for many years before I found Gemstone 3 myself been there ever since, left  for a while but return to gemstone 4 a year or so ago, i use to  play a few  chars in  the old AOL chat Rooms, including Shadowkillz, nitedeathh, been to long since i  RP in the old AOL Taverns.

• 1 year later...

I was a member of Rhydin for a VERY VERY long long time. I started role-playing when I was twelve back in the day and i'm 35 now. Rhy'din was once and I mean ONCE a good concept. Back in the days of America Online? Red Dragon Inn was all a buzz with role-play. However and this is a BIG however... Everyone and I mean Every God D#$% body was an immortal/vampire/angel amalgamation with emerald green eyes and looong flowy raven hair. It got so God D$%^ cliche after a while. Everyone did it. Thankfully for me? I didn't conform to that and merely made unique characters. [Or I at least tried to] I still do to this day and I pick a species and stay with it! For the love of all that is holy and good on Second Life? DO NOT bring Rhy'din to Second Life and trash it up! Rhy'din became a cess pool. An utter God D$%^ cess pool full of edge lords. All these edge lords stayed in Red Dragon Inn intensely staring at each other from the shadows until one lost. Then the loser had to get up, go over, and listen to the winners "tragic" back history. So no thank you. No thank you at ALL. I repeat. DO. Not. Bring. Rhy'din. To. Second Life. Please. Second Life is full of unique characters and has a vast community of wonderful  avid role-players. Do not muck this up by bringing that horrid concept back into the lime light. No.  Just no. Stop it. Enjoy Second Life and it's uniqueness of what it has become. Second Life is still pretty much shiny and brand new until Sansar get's it's virtual sea legs up and running. Until then? Enjoy Second Life as is. Rhy'din is a bad part of the role-playing past of many members that they do not wish to repeat. [Me included in this] It would bring out alllllll the edge lords and trolls utterly destroying what little community of role-players we have as of currently on SL. We have enough time of dealing with greifers and their troubles. Bring out the edge lords and attention seekers? It will utterly come all crashing down like a house of cards in no time. So once again. No. Just No. Nada. Not Ever.. Stop it...... Shut up Meg... >.>

• Like 1

I am not ashamed to admit I had to look it up

Edgelord : Someone, especially posting on the internet, who uses shocking and nihilistic speech and opinions that they themselves may or may not actually believe to gain attention and come across as a more dangerous and unique person. 

• Haha 2

Oh my heavens!  If there is such a community of folks here on SL devoted to RP, let's revive Rhy'Din right here in SL!  That seems to be what Oryion is suggesting, although subsequent posters seem to suggest "go[ing] back" to "AOL[']s free...chatrooms."  Wouldn't that be less fun, to go back to AOL's chat rooms, than to use the visually stimulating platform that SL offers us in order to create a space for a 21st-Century version of the Rhy'Din RPing community?

Please count me in!  Can we create a Rhy'Din group?  Maybe we can borrow one of the already-existing medieval fantasy sims for our space unless and until folks start creating dedicated Rhy'Din sims.

Posting in Necro'd bread.

I used to be in Rhy'Din every now and again. Though I mainly kept to the "Raptor Rainforest" because of the ::walks to the back of the tavern, watching everyone...:: or ::jumps into the rafters and watches:: ...  Nonsense. 

Though I went back to AOL some years ago to see if anyone was still around. If I am correct, the rooms either no longer exist (The category, at least) or they ARE there but are empty save for maybe an AFK or a Bot or two.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1068 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.