Remove permision to control my avatar?

Gaspare Alectoris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

as long as the person has the object that you gave permission, he can always animate you unless he himself revokes the permission.

And yes, you gave permission, quite probably through some innocious looking thing like a request from a hugger or dance chim (which these things call themselves to hide their true identity).

Using options to stop animations or deformers only stops the running animation or deformation, it does not prevent the griefer from doing the same to you again.

As you noticed, blocking him does not do anything. AR the griefer, and hope he gets banned is the only thing you can do besides hoping he gets bored and moves on to some other idiocy.

In Firestorm Preferences, it should be under the Protection Tab. Here's the Firestorm wiki about this:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/preferences_firestorm_tab

• Revoke Permissions: Removes an object's permission to animate or control your input. If this is not done, the object retains permission to animate your avatar indefinitely:
    • Never (original behaviour): Objects will retain permission to always animate your avatar.
    • Revoke on SIT: Revokes permission when you sit on the object.
    • Revoke on STAND: Revokes permission when you stand up from sitting on the object.
    • Revoke on SIT and STAND: Revokes permission when you either sit or stand.

I cannot connect to SL right now (I'm at work... *coughs*), but I assume it would be under Preferences > Firestorm > Protection.

You may also have a look at the Avatar Health menu. Maybe you'll find something that helps in here.

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_menus

Avatar Health: opens the Avatar Health sub menu
  • Stop avatar animations: use to stop animations acting on your avatar
  • Undeform Avatar: Attempts to undeform your avatar, to recover its normal shape after deformation by the use of oversized avatars or griefer objects.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Thanks Valerie.

It seems that method won't work if the original box for this has been removed, or a copy has been taken of its running state. Or if they're using permissions gained from an attachment or HUD. All are possible bordering on likely.

Worth a try though.

I'm not a regular user of Firestorm, Freya. I just use it to take pictures because of the huge choice of windlight settings! And, in my many years in SL, I've been lucky to never got griefed! :D But you are right, this method might not work but I would still give it a try. Plus, the Avatar Health menu I just mentioned above. :smileyhappy:

This is not really a scripting question, but it has been discussed here before.  Freya's answer is the correct one.  Unfortunately, if the object that is controlling you has been picked up by whoever made it, there is no way to remove the permission that you granted to it.  That "feature" of the permission system -- an old bug (https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-1006? ) --- has been discussed in several threads in other forums. 

See, for example ....

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Revoking-Permissions/m-p/1112303

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Is-this-a-valid-warning/m-p/2073101

Coincidentally, there's recent progress on this. The current BlueSteel channel has the server side of a fix (release notes here) to VWR-13228 that, with a pending viewer change, will alter the behavior of Me / Movement / Stop Animating Me such that any objects in the sim will lose PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATION for the requesting avatar.

This seems to be what the old Phoenix / Firestorm viewer control was trying to do, except it will mostly work, including for both attached and unattached objects. It is still limited to affecting only those objects rezzed in the sim at the time "Stop Animating Me" is invoked, so it's not the nuclear option, but it'll be an improvement over anything we've had before.

Gaspare Alectoris wrote:

so what remaing to me? only  the hope?
:(

Unfortunately it seems so. There is no good way to remove permissions once granted yet.

As I stated earlier in the thread, going to a sim where this person can't find you might be your best bet. People such as this often lose interest in their chosen targets quickly, once it requires effort. Maybe you could use the opportunity to explore some new places, or pick up a new SL hobby?

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Gaspare Alectoris wrote:

so what remaing to me? only  the hope?
:(

Unfortunately it seems so. There is no good way to remove permissions once granted yet.

As I stated earlier in the thread, going to a sim where this person can't find you might be your best bet. People such as this often lose interest in their chosen targets quickly, once it requires effort. Maybe you could use the opportunity to explore some new places, or pick up a new SL hobby?

I'm wondering if this is ARable under harrassment and if LL can do anything internally on the systems to remove the permission.

There have been a few products that have 'disappeared' from the Market Place that utilized this exploit.  Makes we wonder.  ;)

Since you cannot remove the permissions, the best you can do are defensive measures.  You have a wonderful pre-"Resident" name and you probably have an inventory rich with no-transfer items, so abandoning your av is out of the question.  You may want to go halfway, though.  Create an Alt (you may have already done this ... ) and transfer as much of your inventory as you can.  Then start using your Alt a your primary av and let your current main account become the banker, the silent partner ....  And start using the Firestorm option (in Preferences >>> Firestorm >>> Protection >>> Revoke on STAND ) that revokes permission when you stand up from sitting on an object.

• 6 years later...

I'm sorry for the thread necro, but I have a friend who is having the exact same issue. After spending hours googling and searching for solutions/scripts, all options have thus far been exhausted. Is there any new information members of this particular thread may be able to provide?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.