Sign in to follow this  
Kniffelig

Too nervous to roleplay.. Help?

I get very nervous before I start to rp. As in... it hinders me from rping at all, usually. 

I'm about to join a rp sim, and I'm scared to introduce my character to the world. 
It's like stage fright? Sort of? I get the shakes, I sweat, everything. Sometimes I get so worked up that I can't breathe properly. D: 

I know how I want to introduce her, I'm just scared. 

Anyone get this too and/or have some tips? 

There's nothing to fear but fear itself.

Think about why you fear the roleplay.

Maybe you should create a brand new alt with which to rehearse roleplay, and just go for it. You'll feel liberated.

Depending on your chosen roleplay area, generally you have time to make your responses, so don't forget to breathe and breathe deeply. Taking shallow breaths is what causes those stagefright feelings.

I fear it because there's... people. And most of them are very uh... rude. 
And I've thought about making an alt for it... but how would I go about rehearsing? 

Some RP sims have mentors. You might be able to ask your mentor to rp with you, maybe help introduce you to others. Alternatively, if you have a friend already involved in a roleplay, or one more outgoing than you are to start with you, you might feel more at ease entering with them.

I know how you feel. I feel exactly the same way...

Yeah, you're definitely not alone, if that makes you feel any better. And sorry to hear you've encountered rude people when you have tried to RP. Some people just suck, others may come off as rude unintentionally for different reasons.

It can definitely help to start RPing with a friend until you feel more comfortable. It's also always a good idea to come in prepared. To have read all rules carefully, know the setting well, know your character and their motivations and such. And most RP sims have OOC chats where you can go in and introduce yourself and maybe ask for someone to help you out a bit in the beginning.

Just don't give up! It gets easier. And don't let jerks discourage you, there are a lot of fun RPers out there just waiting to get to know you.

Yes, rude rp'ers suck. I suggest, find one or two people you trust that can help ease you into the character. Use your in character whenever you can (and when appropriate). Help get yourself into the mindset.

I have a friend in the same boat. She was really nervous to approach anyone in a rpsim but most of the people where she is are pretty nice so she's gotten better with it. If you don't really have anyone to start with I'm sure she wouldnt mind and I can try to help you out too.

Kniffelig wrote:

I get very nervous before I start to rp. As in... it hinders me from rping at all, usually. 

I'm about to join a rp sim, and I'm scared to introduce my character to the world. 

It's like stage fright? Sort of? I get the shakes, I sweat, everything. Sometimes I get so worked up that I can't breathe properly. D: 

I know how I want to introduce her, I'm just scared. 

Anyone get this too and/or have some tips? 

I can totally understand your fear and concern. It happens...like anything else.

You didn't mention what type of RP you're planning on getting into? If you had to join a group to get involved in it, then you can contact the moderator and see if they have any suggestions on how to ease into it.

People are jerks..you just have to deal with that...especially, if you go into an established RP and try to jump right in. If someone, rudely, tells you to butt out just move on. Don't get discouraged.

I do want to express a problem that I've had with group RP sims...it can be tough to jump into an existing RP. The people already involved have their own ideas on how things are supposed to work. It might be better to start with a small group or even one person and work from there...again, depending on what type of RP you're looking for and where you want to do it.

Either way...good luck. I know you'll be fine. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3: 

Hello

i've been rping in all kinds of genre for at the very least 20-25 years and still, even if I consider myself experimented at this game I had a hard time jumping into roleplaying in SL. Took me a coupld of weeks, maybe a month to feel comfortable and now I just can't stop :)

When roleplaying at home with friends, someone act as a game master. Lots of players are lost when they jump into our SL rp and realize there is often no game master, no one to tell them where to go and whats the big goal. Even among players who affirm enjoying rp and doing well at it, I would say pretty much half are without a purpose, mostly hanging around to chat without ever coming with a story for their character. I'm not judging, I simply see this as an interesting fact. My advice is to not hang out with those. They are certainly very cool but you will learn 100x faster if you hang out with some of those who seem to always be up to something. Won't take time before you are dragged in. Then, just follow the beat and add some of your own. I think you just need to "break the ice".

For me it was the language that was a problem. I'm not english and it was challenging to even think of following everything and emote and come up with something interesting plus knowing the world I was playing in, all that at same time. So I observed for a few days without talking much. I also found a few players who didn't mind if I IM them with questions so I used that a lot. I avoided huge group and instead stayed in small gangs of 3-5 people. Its much easier to find your place in small groups. 

Finally, about the rude people you are talking about: They annoy me to no end. Them and also those bully who think everything has to go their ways and those who roleplay in a certain genre they simply don't understand and have no  will to understand. You will never get rid of them, its the www here, you kill one and 10 regrow. Having 0 patience for all the crap some can come with and drama what I do is stay away from the busy places in RP sim. The pub is the busy place? Good, I'm in my roleplay store one block away on that same sim. People will go see you don't worry about it and slowly you can build your little bubble where its mostly those you like to RP with that comes hanging out with you. Being close to a busy place also bring a constant flow of people to feed your RP.

That was my 5 cent. I'll stop there before to write a book :)

Cheer!

I'd be happy to help you out, also have you considered the Roleplay classes at NCI? Taught by Varian Altney on Sundays. Might be a good place to go.

I've been roleplaying since 1977, so just a bit of experience there. I'd be happy to help in one-on-on IM if you like.

Jon Nielsen

(Display name)

John Sheppard-McKay

I don't get that nervous in RP in SL. I do know where you're coming from, though - I get that nervous in RL. Which is probably why I RP. (It's definitely why I SL.)

Take a deep breath. Hold it. Let it out slowly. And repeat. Be calm. It's only pixels. This isn't you, it's your character. Have a hot drink handy (tea or coffee - decaf if you can). Nothing anyone says here can hurt you - nobody even knows who you are. Just relax... let your character do the talking. Take it slow, and don't be afraid to go OOC/group chat and ask for advice, or explanations. All of my worst enemies in RP are my good friends; think about it, it's the only way RP can work. There are no winners in RP. Have a friend (RL or SL) to hold on to & talk to, during & after. You have plenty of time. Don't worry about spelling mistakes and typos (we're all fluent in typonese). And give yourself a reward - I'm partial to chocolate, myself - as soon as you've achieved your goal.

You're going to enjoy this. :matte-motes-big-grin:

So, how did it go?

I have that too. (yes, no joke, every new alt I make gives me the creeps before I dare playing it)

It helps to OOC visit and observe a while. And practice playing the character silenty when nobody looks/reads ( blushes)

I have been hesitant to join a rp community because of that very same thing. I'm not exactly "new" to roleplaying, but I have a good deal of social anxiety that makes jumping in difficult.

I think the advice others have given is good - maybe take a rp class or two. I'd also like to offer myself as a practice buddy. Feel free to IM me, just to chat, or even to try our roleplaying a little :) We could plan out a theme/storyline or just do introductions - it is up to you. Just let me know if you'd like to try it!