Why can't I use the Beta Viewer?

ynysmore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When prompted to I downloaded the Beta Viewer and found it excellent.  The next day, when I tried to open it again, I was told I needed an update but when I downloaded that I was diverted back to my old viewer.   The next day the same thing happened so I closed down, deleted my old viewer and tried to open the Beta.  I got the same 'update' message and when I hit the prompt button, my old viewer was reinstalled and opened.

This happens every time I try to use the Beta Viewer.  I have no objection to the old viewer but wonder what is stopping me using the Bet.

Sorted!

Thankyou for your answers.  I deleted both viewers and downloaded the one from the link.  All is working OK now.

thanks again for your help.

4 answers to this question

Sometimes you simply need to get the next version yourself. Beta Note: The automatic trigger always points to the most current general release version of the viewer.

Release Notes for v3.6.2 (279321) - Second Life Viewer

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.6.2.279321

Allow me to repeat.

Second Life 3.6.2 (279321) Jul 31 2013 01:07:29 (Second Life Release) is available at the above link and it will not prompt you to install the General Release version of the Viewer. The Viewers are now also released in a Release Channel style. Notice that the "Beta" designation is not on the link.

• Like 1

The beta process has changed - there's no single "Beta" viewer any more. There are actually multiple release versions - a main one and a few "release candidate"t ones that are the equivalent of late betas from a handful of different projects. When you update a beta now it often APPEARS to be the main release but it's actually one of the release candidates. It will LOOK like the main viewer and use the same icons, etc. but if you go into "Help - About Second Life" you'll see that the version number is slightly different. That's probably what's happening to you.

Just as a general rule, there has never been a "Beta" viewer that's always been somehow significantly different from the release viewer. Each beta in turn becomes the new release and the new beta will basically be the release viewer with a few (or sometimes many) updates that are in testing.

• Like 2

The new prefix name for a "ready for testing" viewer package is Release Channel Viewer not beta. That's all.  After testing is completed, the RC Viewer is usually released to everyone by elevating it's status to the "currently" publicly available viewer. This is actually a good procedure versus the older Beta process where the finally released product was never fully tested with all it's released components in the same Beta Test.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3888 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.