Are Spambots in the Feed too?

Sy Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question...

my.secondife.com (more popularly called the feed) has of late been more erratic and slow than usual, which is saying something.  Is it at all possible that the Mumbai spambots that are spamming the SLF forums are also spamming the feeds too? We wouldn't see them because they are not our friends and neither would their posts be loved to appear in the trending section.

However, if they were spamming with the same speed that they do in these forums and it has never been previously stopped because we and the moderators are unaware of it then surely it would be having an adverse effect on the feed's operation by now?  I'm not geeky/proficient enough to know the answer to that nor the implications, but the thought of every Mumbai spambot ever witnessed here in the forums still carrying on happily spamming the feed unchecked from day one of their appearance is a sobering thought.

I have tried searching a spambot's name from today, but got a nil return so I can't check their feed to verify. Also would banning the spambot from the forum carry to the feed? I don't think it does; it would have to be a total account ban..I think.  I know of many people banned from the forum and inworld who are still able to participate in the feed.

So, one enquiring mind would like some info or reassurance.

While it seems the site has been unavailable or throwing more error messages than normal, I don't think it has anything to do with the spambots but, with the overall unreliability/instability that my.secondlife.com has been prone to for quite a while (and possibly some of the recent updates made to other LL owned websites as well).

Doubtful.

Look at it from an SEO-Gaming-Spam agencies POV.

I can code up a set of bots that will work across 90% of the forum software on the internet, hit my 'go' button, and then collect my money from my clients as their SEO rankings go up. I don't even have to manually know where the forums my bots post are, or find them myself... webcrawling can do all of this for me.

Many of these companies likely do not even know they are posting on this forum...

They don't need to know: the software is not unique enough.

Why would I bother with coding not even for the remaining 10%, but for some obscure rare site that only partly resembles a social media site, and itself does not have great SEO?

- Nothing to gain, and a lot of manual labor to implement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3891 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.