Face shadow glitch?

Medhue Simoni

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Let me explain what I'm trying to do and how I came across the glitch. I'm making a mesh avatar. Only thing that bothers me is the character not blinking. In another avatar, I just changed the eyeballs textures randomly. I didn't quite like this, and it takes a good chunk of code, plus the texture changes. Instead, I decide I'll make eyelids, and just make them visible and invisible when needed. I originally made the eyelids a completely separate mesh. It works perfectly this way, but.... I wanted to combine the eyelids with the figure, just to make less things for the customer to have to wear. Seems like no big deal. I just attach the eyelids to the character model and make sure they are on their own face.

Here is the issue. When the eyelids now blink on and off, I see a major shadow change under the avatar. The eyelids are 2 tiny objects over it's eyes. Nothing big enough to even notice in a shadow. I suspect that the shadow references don't match up with the correct faces. I only have 4 faces on the avatar mesh. 1 face is the trunk of the body and head. Another face are the arms and legs, then 1 is for the inside of the mouth and the eyelids. So there are only 2 faces on my avatar model that make up the majority of the shadow on the ground. The mouth and eyelids face shadows shouldn't even be noticable in the shadow. It's plain as day tho, when my eyelids blink. Is seems to me that trunk shadow is dissappearing instead of the eyelids shadow. I can only conclude that the faces don't match the shadows on the ground.

Anyways, I'm in the process of finishing up my mesh avatar, so I will not be playing around with this anymore. The eyelids work correctly when not part of the main avatar mesh, so that is how it will be released. If any1 wants to play around with this or post a jira, please do. I will not be doing any further testing of this, unless something major changes, and I will not be creating a jira. I just don't have the time to concern myself with all that. I've yet to ever see a bug I've watched fixed.

i have had a bit similar to this. 
one of my avatars keeps throwing a nonending shadowline onto the floor. And i also changed a few faces on it after the weighting was started already. And for the life of me i can not figure what exactly is causing this.

I even checked if there are loose vertices which are maybe far off from the body geometry - but that's not the case either. 
And checked everything else i could possibly think of being the cause, to no avail.

And i also couldn't be bothered to recreate the whole thing because it reached a status where it was already fully rigged and weighted when i noticed this sudden appearing shadow oddity.

Yeah, I was actually all finished with all the weighting when the non blinking got to me. That is why I made the eyelids totally separate. After thinking about it tho, I really thought it would be better if the blinking eyelids were part of the main avatar mesh. I attached the eyelids and copied my finished weights from the previous version. The weighting seemed to copy over to the new avatar pretty good. I only had to adjust were the teeth meet. Then again tho, I didn't try on any tight clothing that I made for him.

Hmm, maybe I'll just link the eyelids to the main mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3893 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.