Has VWBPE 2013 happened yet?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

I don't think this was solely created for the VWBPE. Its open for the future educators who come to SL  since they revamped pricing. I would imagine this would take a little time to get rolling.

The timing of the creation of this Sub Forum coincided with the VWBPE and the new pricing structure. But except  for the Sub Heading, "Discussions for educational organizations and educational use of Second Life," I have read no statements from LL about this Sub Forum.

Could it be only a seasonal or temporary thing like the Vampire Sub Fora is?

Outside of a statement from LL, only time may tell.

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

I only stumbled across this forum today as I am about to post a new education topic...wondering how long it has been in place. Glad to see it back, I have often wondered what happened to the old education category. Doubt that many educators know it is here.

This section of the Forum went live on July 23, 2013 (POPS) at aproximately 11:30AM SLT.

I do not ever remember an Educational section.  That must have been a long time ago in a far off world.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I do not ever remember an Educational section.  That must have been a long time ago in a far off world.

Yep. The last Education forum I remember was started in 2005 and closed in 2010 (the year everything fell apart). It is still in the archives here:

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/208/1.html

It's great to see the forum again! I hope the education community comes back and re-creates what was started way back when.

If you missed the event, you might find some of the YouTube videos to be of interest. The VWBPE 2013 conference is still kicking, if you consider the post-event content being posted, such as the 2013 VWBPE Conference Awards and the videos and blog posts still being polished (some are likely to be announced here). 

FWIW - Several educators, each one a SL veteran to some degree, have said they did not even know this forum had been re-instated; not surprising, given that this Forum Topic (category?) was unceremoniously dumped some time ago. Maybe LL thought it was too chat-spammy to serve the community well.

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

The VWBPE 2013 conference is still kicking, if you consider the post-event content being posted

On that basis you might claim that World War II was still being fought.

Given the number of movies being made about it.

Oh, and Elvis isn't dead; he had a hit a year or so ago.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

I only stumbled across this forum today as I am about to post a new education topic...wondering how long it has been in place. Glad to see it back, I have often wondered what happened to the old education category. Doubt that many educators know it is here.

This section of the Forum went live on
at aproximately 11:30AM SLT.

You keep putting POPS in your links, is that so persons who see your links will be aware that they open in a new window, and if so, why do they need to be warned in advance? Thank you for your answer.

X3aV wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

You keep putting POPS in your links, is that so persons who see your links will be aware that they open in a new window, and if so, why do they need to be warned in advance? Thank you for your answer.

It's an old habit I have revived from other forums in a long time ago place.

I wish open in new window was the default setting for the "insert link" function.

I can't speak for other people's preferences but when I am following links I prefer they open in a new tab or window.  I know I can always right click/open in new tab or window but sometimes I forget.

It goes back to Ben Franklin's saying, "A Click saved is a Click earned."

Or was it Honest Abe who said that?

Perrie Juran wrote:

X3aV wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

I wish open in new window was the default setting for the "insert link" function.

I can't speak for other people's preferences but when I am following links I prefer they open in a new tab or window.  I know I can always right click/open in new tab or window but sometimes I forget.

Thank you for the reply. However, I am still curious as to why you say it POPS. If it is going to open in a new window, it will open in a new window. If it didn't open in a new window, but we wish it would, you have said we can always choose right click /open in new window. So, shouldn't we be warned if it doesn't POP? Also, the quote can be attributed to Albert Einstein.

Unauthorized Mouse Hover

X3aV wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

X3aV wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Azwaldo Villota wrote:

Thank you for the reply. However, I am still curious as to why you say it POPS. If it is going to open in a new window, it will open in a new window. If it didn't open in a new window, but we wish it would, you have said we can always choose right click /open in new window. So, shouldn't we be warned if it
doesn't
 POP? Also, the quote can be attributed to Albert Einstein.

Unauthorized Mouse Hover

Thank you for running down the origin of that quote.

I actually don't know the origin of "pops." It was already in use when I first got online but have always understood it to mean "opens in a new window (or tab)."  The "oldbies" in some of the original forums I frequented would ad it, partly as a way to encourage the "newbies" to use the html code for it.

Maybe in the long run it is just a silly little thing.

Perrie Juran wrote:

I actually don't know the origin of "pops." It was already in use when I first got online but have always understood it to mean "opens in a new window (or tab)."  The "oldbies" in some of the original forums I frequented would ad it, partly as a way to encourage the "newbies" to use the html code for it.

Are you adding the HTML to make it pop?

X3aV wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Are you adding the HTML to make it pop?

not anymore.  the 'insert link' function of the forum software does all the html coding for us.

i just choose the option.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3909 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.