A most unusual ghetto.

Sy Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23063492

A community that has grown up because of laws that segregate them to an effect from society.  

The story raises many interesting thoughts.  If a school were built, would they all have to up sticks and leave to go elsewhere?  As a group they form the democractic majority of a town so I presume they could enact their own local planning/buidling guidance to stop such a build (?) plus using any other power delegated down to that community level.  What must it feel like to any long-term resident there who now lives among them?

I just find it a very unusual example of the law of unintended consequences.

It does my heart well to read 'they' are happy.  But, I don't rationalize with my heart.  What about the happiness of all the innocent children they either directly or indirectly harmed?  The abused children are condemned for life; there is no "Miracle Village" for them to find sanctuary.  

As water always seeks it own level... so does shlt.  

I suppose they should consider themselves lucky that there's a place in nice, sunny South Florida for them. Would they feel the same way if the place was in, say, Minnesota or soggy Washington State?

I'm sort of torn by the whole thing...not sure if it's a good or bad thing. But since I don't live in Florida, I don't have to worry about it..:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I find it disgusting. Sex offenders should be in jail not free to live out there lives happily after they ruined anothers. :/ I mean the psycholigical damage it does to children is unbelievable. It sickens me to think these people are allowed to go about there day for the most part now like nothing ever happened.

Madeline Blackbart wrote:

I find it disgusting. Sex offenders should be in jail not free to live out there lives happily after they ruined anothers.
:/
I mean the psycholigical damage it does to children is unbelievable. It sickens me to think these people are allowed to go about there day for the most part now like nothing ever happened.

well really not all sex offenders are like that..

there are all kinds of reasons someone could have to report to any area they move to as a sex offender.

there has been couples that were dating in highschool ..and one turn 18 and the parents get them for statutory rape..

it's not alwys child molesters..

some  people really don't deserve to be put in that catagory..

just saying..there is a wide range for that area..

I find it disgusting. Sex offenders should be in jail not free to live out there lives happily after they ruined anothers.
I mean the psycholigical damage it does to children is unbelievable. It sickens me to think these people are allowed to go about there day for the most part now like nothing ever happened.

A john arrested for soliciting is a sex offender.

In Mass a male over 21 that has sex with someone under 21 is a sex offender, it does not go the other way funnily.

Someone peeing in an alley is a sex offender.

a pair of 18 year olds having sex in a car at midnight are sex offenders.

Anyone having nude pictures of a child , even their own  baby on a bear skin rug, is a sex offender.

So, which of these people deserves to rot in jail forever?

ETA, did you read the story? "We try not to accept people with a history of violence or drugs, or to take any diagnosed paedophile - that is, someone who can only become sexually aroused by a child. We want to protect the people who are already here and those who were living here before us." Sounds like they police their own.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

A john arrested for soliciting is a sex offender.

In Mass a male over 21 that has sex with someone under 21 is a sex offender, it does not go the other way funnily.

Someone peeing in an alley is a sex offender.

a pair of 18 year olds having sex in a car at midnight are sex offenders.

Anyone having nude pictures of a child , even their own  baby on a bear skin rug, is a sex offender.

So, which of these people deserves to rot in jail forever?

ETA, did you read the story? "We try not to accept people with a history of violence or drugs, or to take any diagnosed paedophile - that is, someone who can only become sexually aroused by a child. We want to protect the people who are already here and those who were living here before us." Sounds like they police their own.

It's pretty wild.

We no longer have to give our kids "the talk" when they reach puberty.

My son got the talk when he turned 18.  I took him aside and said to him, "You're 18 now.  You need to understand you can go to jail now just for kissing your 17 year old girlfriend.

When dealing with any criminal you have one of three choices:

- put them away forever, and be willing to pay for their continual support.

- murder them, and be willing to pay for the costs of this.

- eventually re-integrate them into society.

As a person of faith I can never condone the first two options. And as a person who grew up in a poor area, a ghetto, I see the costs of the US' intentional failure to carry through on the third.

But if you are unwilling to EVER forgive and bring someone back into society, then you need to be willing to accept that the weight of taking other's lives is not just upon them, but on you as well.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

With sex criminals - well, the male ones at least, since few women seem to get convicted - there is a fourth option.

Cut it off.

Or at least the balls.

I vote for that one - or two?

It contributes to the solving of a lot of other problems too.

Charly Muggins wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

With sex criminals - well, the male ones at least, since few women seem to get convicted - there is a fourth option.

Cut it off.

Or at least the balls.

I hope you never get caught peeing in the bushes.. Because that is a sex crime, too.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

i wonder?

is denuttin hogs the same as denuttin a M...

I know nuttin about denuttin hogs.  I don't think I ever saw a hog outside of the corner deli, and they were dead (and nutted) already.  What do you know about denuttin?      

lol

way too much..

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Charly Muggins wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Cut it off.

Or at least the balls.

I hope you never get caught peeing in the bushes.. Because that is a sex crime, too.

Despite being irreligious, I always obey the Eleventh Commandment.

Charly Muggins wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Cut it off.

Or at least the balls.

But sex, like art, actually takes place in the mind - even without hormonal surges, I think a lot of predators would just keep predating.

Those who have become impotent, for instance, often resort to other objects at hand, which can do even worse damage. 

Incarceration is the only thing. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3890 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.