i can not stay on second live keeps loging me out

Angle Sharp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Why?  Under what conditions?  Exactly what error messages are you getting, if any?  You're not using wireless, are you?  You didn't tell us anything at all about your computer, your SL viewer, or your Internet connection either.  All we know is that you keep getting logged out.  That's not much to go on.

Go to your login screen as if you were about to log in but don't.  Click Help >>> About Second Life in the upper left corner of the login screen.  Then click the button that saves all the information in the window to your clipboard.  Come right back here and  click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question. Select EDIT and then paste the saved information into your original question. Add the answers to the questions I asked above, plus anything else that might be helpful. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

I've been having the same issue as Angle for about a week now. Every time I log into Second Life, it stays connected for roughly 1 or 2 minutes, then disconnects me with a message saying "Darn. You have been logged out of Second Life. The region may be experiencing trouble. Please check your connection to the internet." I've tried logging into more than one region and it still does this. I've tried using different SL viewers and it still does this. My wife experiences the same problem on her computer with her avatar.

To answer the questions yo posed to Angle:

You're not using wireless, are you? No, I am directly connected via cable modem on my laptop. No wifi being used.

And here is the info copied from my regular SL viewer and pasted here:

Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 12:41:07 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (1995.53 MHz)
Memory: 8170 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Thank you. It would have been easier to answer if you had started your own question instead of attaching it to the bottom of someone else's, but I hope you'll think to look here for a response.

The message you have been receiving is usually the result of a weak, intermittent Internet connection. You probably have sufficient bandwidth, but there are period of time when the signal is delayed (excessive ping time) or you have higher than normal data loss (packet loss). You can sometimes see instability by opening your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and looking at the appropriate numbers, but unfortunately the time you're most likely to see it is exactly when you are logged out. I'm glad to hear that you are not using WiFi, because that is a leading cause of the problem for many people. There are a couple of other common trouble spots: (1) your router and (2) your ISP. Not all routers are created equal, and some are better at holding a steady connection than others. Also, routers need to be rebooted periodically for the same reason your computer does. Errors accumulate in RAM and need to be cleared. Reboot yours by unplugging it from the power while you go make a cup of coffee. Finally, routers do get old (again, like computers themselves). If yours is more than 3 years old it may be worth spending $75 to replace it with a better one. As far as your ISP is concerned, they are responsible for everything that affects your signal from the time it leaves your cable modem to the time it enters the Internet beyond. You may need to ask them to check their own cables and connections. There is a good summary of stability tests that you can perform to diagnose where the week spots in your connection are. See Nalates's blog at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/ .

Although it has nothing to do with your connection problem, I note in passing that your NVidia GeForce GTX 560M is more than two years old and is ranked far lower in performance than most major video cards in mobile computers today. It's not easy to get top performance in SL on a notebook, but you may get faster response time if you consistently use a low draw distance (64m perhaps) so that the card doesn't need to render as many things at a time. That can have the extra benefit of letting your machine run cooler. Overheating can be another common reason for disconnecting (although not the type you are experiencing now) and can damage your computer.

"cable modem" says that there's a cable from your ISP to your modem, but are you using wifi from that to your laptop? I assume not, since you've checked almost all of the usual things. Unfortunately, as Rolig says above, this message is either the result of the sim you're in really failing or the connection between it and you just not passing on the data in time (yes, it's basically a "I gave up waiting for a proper response" message). IF you can get in-world long enough to check it the statistics bar will give the best information - again, as Rolig says above. Specifically, if you can, please tell us the ping time and packet loss figures - watch them while you can and report 'normal' and 'just before a crash'.

Outside of SL I recommend pingtest.net - test against a server in the Western USA.

@ Rolig - I dream of a 560! (OLD 8300 here - and working fine)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.