I stay logged in for only a few seconds. $L gone.

Rex Cronon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a big problem each time I login I only stay logged in for a few seconds and I am disconnected. I can't tp anywhere, I can't IM anybody, groups don't load, it says I have only 20$L left:( It all started on thursday when I tried to login on the beta grid to go to Maestro's office hour(group meeting). At that time I tried for almost an hour to get there. I finally talked with somebody on the main grid, and that person talked to the lindens and I was able to finally logg in, but my statistics window was showing ping time of around 10000ms. Later that day I logged in on beta grid and it showed that I had only 20$L left. I tried to buy something for 10$L and it told me to buy more lindes. There was another person there who had same problems with $L. After that when I logged in on the main grid I also started having sim ping time from around 200ms to even over 49000ms:( Since then each time I logged in I was seeing myself as an egg. I tried changing my clothes and it worked until next login at which time I was again an egg. At times others were seeing me as ruthed. On saturnday evening(sltime) when I tried to login I got disconnected after a few seconds. Today 07.28.2013 the same thing is happening. I was able to login and stay logged in for a while but I couldn't IM anybody, I couldn't tp, my inventory didn't load, I was stuck at <0,0,0> in Morris and it showed I had only 20$L:( The map worked but couldn't tp anywhere. The statistics window in the viewer was showing a sim ping time of 10000ms. What is going on? p.s. I cleared the cache with no effect. I am using the latest version of ll's viewer, and I have been using it for about a week with no such problem. It looks like the latest sim upgrade is killing me:(

<hr>

08/04/2013

I think I found out what is wrong. I setup my viewer to use my browser and not the built-in one. I have firefox 17.01. I usually have about 5 windows and each one has about 20 tabs opened. It seems that the browser and the viewer have a conflict of interests. They are fighting either for memory or for bandwith. If I close the browser than the viewer works just fine. Actually if I restart the browser periodically than the viewer is ok.

It does sound to me like you have a ISP problem.  Have you tested your connection?  Reset your router?  If you have my next question have you updated your graphic drivers recently?  You could also just need to do a clean reinstall of you viewer.

If you've looked into this and still have problems your best bet is to post your system specs here (from HELP>About (name of your viewer) plus any error messages you receive so that the tech guru's that hang out here can maybe figure out what is going on.  I don't think it's SL, if it was a lot of other's would be having the same issues.

BTW, you can go ahead and answer flippantly to me as you have to the previous poster.  But we can't help you if you're going to pull an attitude. 

Rex, you've been in SL long enough to surely know that a L$20 balance is what all viewers have always displayed when they have no information about what the real account L$ balance is. Don't know what's to be done about it on Aditi, but one simply checks the dashboard for the true Agni balance.

And yeah, all the symptoms seem uniformly network related. Might not be your ISP, though; rather, it could be that your router needs to be rebooted. 

just tested connection with WinMTR to sim9089.agni.lindenlab.com no major bottlenecks. my router resets at least once everyday. I didn't change any graphics driver. I just installed the latest ll viewer on 07/21/2013 and it worked until the server upgrade relatively well. after the server upgrade my sim ping time as showed in the statistics window got increasingly worse. it over 49000ms:( until finally starting saturday night I no longer was able to stay logged in for more than a few seconds. I don't receive any error messages. I am logged in for a few seconds after which I am told that the region might be experiencing difficulties and that I am being disconnected. during the short interval that I am connected the statistics window inside the viewer shows ping sim time of 10000ms or over. it fluctuates heavily. imo the first poster showed a lot of attitude(calling insult wouldn't be far from the truth) while at least I tried to be civil and make a joke out of it:)

Here are some articles about the cauuses and cures for sudden onset problems with SL  

Was working fine, suddenly big problems: 

The symptoms you describe suggest that your router is failing.  SL uses ports not used by browsers, so a browser may work when the router fails on other ports used by SL.

TKR

Rex Cronon wrote:

just tested connection with WinMTR to sim9089.agni.lindenlab.com no major bottlenecks. my router resets at least once everyday. I didn't change any graphics driver. I just installed the latest ll viewer on 07/21/2013 and it worked until the server upgrade relatively well. after the server upgrade my sim ping time as showed in the statistics window got increasingly worse. it over 49000ms:( until finally starting saturday night I no longer was able to stay logged in for more than a few seconds. I don't receive any error messages. I am logged in for a few seconds after which I am told that the region might be experiencing difficulties and that I am being disconnected. during the short interval that I am connected the statistics window inside the viewer shows ping sim time of 10000ms or over. it fluctuates heavily. imo the first poster showed a lot of attitude(calling insult wouldn't be far from the truth) while at least I tried to be civil and make a joke out of it:)

Rex - I know you always used Viewer 1.23 before. Current viewers do far more with HTTP connections than the old UDP connections and many older routers don't handle multiple HTTP connections well. Many European users have DNS issues with newer viewers too, which are often fixed by using the public Google DNS. I also remember you had very similar issues at one of the meetings months ago when nobody else was having problems. Try callling up the debug console in the viewer (Ctrl-Shift-4) and see if it gives you a slew of complaints about connection failures and lost packets.

So, in otherwords, although I won't call your internet connection "crappy"...

Well...

For purposes of SL....

Theresa Tennyson whispers, "It is."

surprisingly this is the first time I had problem with my balance. I assumed that the 20$L was default value. I checked my dashboard and indeed it seems to have the right value. for a second I thought I lost everything. I am glad I didn't:) it might not be my network(right, still network related), it might be that the new server code is trying to push a lot of data too fast and instead of slowing down just disconnects me:(

u might be right, but: 1. I was able to use the new viewer for a few days with almost no problems until the new server code update. if my connection was so bad than it shouldn't have worked from the begining. 2. after the update I started having huge ping times, especially when I moved or rotated my camera. I also started being an egg on each login. 3. I had this same problem with beta grid first and is very likely the lindens did something that allowed me to login although with huge ping times. later that same day I relogged on the beta and things seemed almost normal except I had only 20$L. 4. indeed a few months ago I experienced similar huge ping times. at that time one of data centers that belong to ll had either a fried server or some cable problems. once that was fixed my problems stopped:) 5. geez. come on. stop calling my connection names. I really don't want it to get angry and stopping working altogether:) besides ll doesn't advertise that you need 1TB connection:)

Rex you are making a lot of assumptions about what a connection should or should not do. Remember. Your connections are changing every minute. Companies the world over are changing hardware over to IPv6. You never know how your connection route is changing due to traffic loads at various routers.

Figuring out what is wrong is probably not going to be intitive to you if you think of connections as anything other than 100% fluid.

I wrote Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection with SL in mind so you could track down where the problem is.

In the next couple of weeks we hope to see Round II of the HTTP Protocol Update rolling out. It is said to use only 25% of the connections needed now. That alone may solve your problem.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post. In this case you also need to lookup your router/gateway make and model. Otherwise we are going to guessing and you are going to be wasting time stepping through our blind guesses.

You can check your L$ balance on the web pages. Login via the web to your dashboard with your favorite web browser.

The viewer often loses the balance and cannot update it until after you have been online for a few minutes. Mine often drops to L$20 or L$0. Clicking the $L number in the viewer usually updates it.

I have, a couple of times, got out of a prolonged initial load of the AV by TPing to one of the regions running the new SSA/SSB code.

The old baking system requires all the texture data to be sent to your computer, which is a lot of work if the connection is misbehaving. The new system only sends you the final result.

There's all sorts of other things that could be going wrong, but I think it is worth a try.

I also have a couple of simple versions of my Avatar. That can be useful in a lot of places.

Rex Cronon wrote:

sounds like u might not know what u r talking about:)

Yes - he/she did - it is a network connection problem.  And you have been around SL long enough to know how to search for info in the wiki/forums about what to do when a problem like that strikes.

I don't think It was my network connection that was at fault. I can't prove it, u can't disprove it, maybe a linden could find the truth(I think it would take some time and effort to do it). I have to agree that what u say it possible. The first comment sounded like a knee-jerk reaction of somebody who might not have even read everything I wrote. Because I have been in ls for a while is why I know that the wiki has parts that are outdated. I also knew to look on the forums to see if others was experiencing something similar. I didn't find anything that matched my problem. Can u? Since I couldn't the only logical next step for me was to ask on the forums:)

Rex Cronon wrote:

I have a big problem each time I login I only stay logged in for a few seconds and I am disconnected. I can't tp anywhere, I can't IM anybody, groups don't load, it says I have only 20$L left:( It all started on thursday when I tried to login on the beta grid to go to Maestro's office hour(group meeting). At that time I tried for almost an hour to get there. I finally talked with somebody on the main grid, and that person talked to the lindens and I was able to finally logg in, but my statistics window was showing ping time of around 10000ms. Later that day I logged in on beta grid and it showed that I had only 20$L left. I tried to buy something for 10$L and it told me to buy more lindes. There was another person there who had same problems with $L. After that when I logged in on the main grid I also started having sim ping time from around 200ms to even over 49000ms:( Since then each time I logged in I was seeing myself as an egg. I tried changing my clothes and it worked until next login at which time I was again an egg. At times others were seeing me as ruthed. On saturnday evening(sltime) when I tried to login I got disconnected after a few seconds. Today 07.28.2013 the same thing is happening. I was able to login and stay logged in for a while but I couldn't IM anybody, I couldn't tp, my inventory didn't load, I was stuck at <0,0,0> in Morris and it showed I had only 20$L:( The map worked but couldn't tp anywhere. The statistics window in the viewer was showing a sim ping time of 10000ms. What is going on? p.s. I cleared the cache with no effect. I am using the latest version of ll's viewer, and I have been using it for about a week with no such problem. It looks like the latest sim upgrade is killing me:(

Yeah, I read all of that. The default balance, the egg appearance, stuck at 000, etc. Sounds like you have a crappy connection.

How would it be possible for a Linden to diagnose your personal network connection? If high ping time were the fault of an SL server, wouldn't everyone in the same sim experience it also? One more question - since when is a Linden balance as shown from a beta grid supposed to ever be real? I thought those were always fake.

The linden could have looked to see if something is wrong with my ave(like if I have corrupted things on, or if my ave is stuck in a weird state) or if the asset server works right. Possibly could have looked at the data that was being sent to my viewer, and at what my viewer was sending. I don't think was my network connection. Those high ping times were shown only in statistics window inside the viewer. I used a different program to ping the sim and the ping values were relatively normal(and still are the same but now I can log in and only occasionally does the statistics window show high values). If I was wearing corrupted textures or objects that could have affected sim ping time. If they viewer was/is leaking memory that could also have an effect on the sim ping time displayed in the statistics window. These things should affect only me. My $L balance on beta was quite high before but at the time I was having problems it was showing only 20$L. If you reset your sl password the inventory of your ave on beta gets updated and it will also show the same amount of $L as on the main grid.

Rex Cronon wrote:

I am sorry to say but u fail to consider all the possibilities. lol. Talking to u I feel like talking to tech support. The user is always at fault:)

Lol. Because the user usually is.

I am a bit shocked to see how dismissive and hostile so many of you are to a person asking for help, and, frankly, how little depth of knowledge seems to be brought to bear.

I have two suggestions, one simple, one not.

If you never clear out your putstanding notifications, they can build over time into an xml file of gigantic proprtions, all of which must be loaded at startup. My login progressively deteriorated (took longer, lead to long hangs with cpu flat out) until in the end I couldnt log in at all.

I hand deleted a massive xml file, and the problem was gone. It can be done in world by right clicking on the notifications icon, and choosing "clear all". Once it gets to "99+", clear it.

My second suggestion is that you may have suffered from a known bugg relating to SSB, the very bug which was largely responsible for delaying its introduction, and which seems to have been kept pretty quiet.

I found about this from the minutes of the open dev meetings held in the Beta Grid weekly. People tping in the Beta Grid between SSB-enabled regions and non-enabled ones were suffering actual permanent corruption to some assets such as clothing on the main asset server. This was leading to serious  viewer malfunctions on both grids after a visit to the Beta Grid, such as the OP reports. I have not checked back, and I may be wrong in some of the detail, but a quick trawl through the minutes will find much discussion of this. It was a very big worry when the Beta Grid was running earlier SSB versions.

It is perfectly possible that neither of these apply, but can we please try to be more polite, and more knowledgeable, with a bit more lateral thinking, if we are to step forward as self-appointed "helpers".

Anonymity brings out the "best" in people. It is like this almost everywhere on the internet. At least, this time no flame war got started. Sadly one needs to grow a relatively thick skin in order to survive now days on the internet:( I always clean my notifications on login, so it wasn't that. Until july 21 I have been using viewer 1.23.5 so maybe that spared me of the problems with the server side baking. It could be possible that something that I was wearing got corrupted and maybe my old viewer protected me? I had about three days of no problems on the main grid, and on the 25th when I had first time problems to stay logged more than a few seconds on the beta all those problems with the SSB should have been fixed. The weird part is that I started having similar problems on the 27th on the main grid too. At that time all these problems should have been fixed on the main grid. Although I did have problems with my appearance(my attachments were giving errors saying were attached to wrong attachment points, on logging in I was always an egg).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3907 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.