How to deal with annoying neighbours, appropriately?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all.

I have a neighbour who has left a SL 'fireworks display' running for a good, i'll say 60+ hours? This isn't the first time either. the neighbour is not there and the fireworks are unnattended. The fireworks themselves do not enter my land, but all you can hear all day is 'whizz whizz, bang bang bang' very loudly, I'm not saying neighbours aren't allowed to make noise or have fireworks every now and then but this is plain rediculous and unnessacarily ruining the peace.

Their land is banline'd and 'no-see' or whatever you want to call it, I have tried to manually mute the fireworks myself but it is impossible because they are just being automatically rezzed and explode too fast.. I can only imagine my visitors wouldn't even know where to begin, it's not only spoiling the experience for me but also the people I share the land with.

I tried sending a Polite IM, explaining the situation;

[quote]Hi there, I'm your neighbour at lunar wings :)

You seem to have left some fireworks going unattended.. I appreciate that you may sometimes use stuff like this, but this banging noises for 48 hours ... is too much... your not even using them... please consider turning them off? thankyou[/quote]

But they have obviously ignored it as they have been online, in there home before, I see the green dot. Ignorance is bliss to some people I understand but your ignorance shouldn't be affecting me.

I did a report to the lindens this morning but it must have been 5am SLT, I guess most lindens are working in SLT time so I am awaiting a response, but I really don't know what to expect, with no confirmation that there will be any kind of investigation or when it will happen. How should I proceed in order to make sure this annoyance stops? there is no-way it can be allowed to continue.....

Feel free to have a look for yourself, I am the parcel in the North west of Zamojski.. have a sit on the peir and listen to that awful banging and you'll realise what i mean.. :matte-motes-mad:

Sadly, some mainland residents are completely oblivious or downright rude. I would ask them to use the option in their land settings that restricts sound to their parcel. I don't think LL will help you as long as your neighbors pay tier. Your only other option is to turn off your sounds. Not music, but the sounds. I've had to resort to that option for the same reason.

unfortunately, I have to agree with the others. LL will not handle disputes between neighbors unless it violates the TOS.

So you're kind of stuck unless you can get in touch with him and get him to turn them off.

Good luck

Have you tried to derender the object producing the fireworks?  If you use firestorm right click on it and hit More until you see Derender click it and then Black List.  It will disappear along with the fireworks.  Unfortunately the official SL viewer only has a temporary derender and you will have to derender it every time you enter the region.

Seems like a clear breach of the Community Standards, namely:

Disturbing the Peace

Every Resident has a right to live their Second Life. Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content, the use of repetitive sounds, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace

Keep submitting Abuse Reports and be specific as to what Community Standard is continually being broken by your neighbour. Whether LL will actually take action is another matter.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Have you tried to derender the object producing the fireworks?  If you use firestorm right click on it and hit More until you see Derender click it and then Black List.  It will disappear along with the fireworks.

I went to see there the annoyance. OMG!  :smileyfrustrated:

Using Firestorm: Derender just derenders the thing. The show goes on - naturally.

Then I blocked the thing and also the box beside it. They appeared into the black list - but the show nevertheless goes on. :smileysurprised:

Dunno what's going on with this thing. Usually blacklisting the source of annoyance does work. I couldn't spot any hidden object either which might have been the real source.

Maybe their intention is to get rid of the neighbours so they leave it on at all times?

Try to remain cordial with your neighbor even though they are annoying the hell out of you.  I know it is very hard but be the better person if you can.   I have seen stuff like this escalate to full blown griefing wars spilling over from a couple of neighbors to the entire sim and ruins everyones SL.

In the meantime, turn off/down some of your sound effects, which can always be restored later or away from the issue.  Me, I normally have all mine turned off since I find most all sounds in SL annoying.  You can always box your property in temporarily with something tasteful if you cannot derender.  Or, consider moving to another sim.  It is one of the reason I saved up and bought a mainland sim...no more annoying neighbor problems for the most part. 

Keep filing your AR reports quoting the appropriate parts of the TOS. Also, look at the community standards and quote as well.  Send photos of the issue to and any additional items of interest with the AR report. Be patient with LL.  They have many many requests and issues to resolve and might take some time to resolve this.

60 hours? That's two days and change. Were you on the parcel continually? How much of an inconvenience was it, really? 

I mean it wasn't like you were locked into a room with the sounds and particles.

First, you can mute and derender the objects if you find them offensive. (OK, maybe not the particles.)

Second, it is probably for a special occasion, so if you want a good long term relationship with the neighbor,  ignore it. If it lasts a week that's another story. But a few days? 

Sometimes people can't make it back to SL for a few days due to real life. For all you know he's having some type of RL crisis. Then he comes back to his neighbor griping about the virtual fireworks.

If the particles aren't on your land I don't think there is much  you can do. Actually I think SL fireworks are set up so they don't go onto anyone else's land.

When I use fireworks mine won't even cross from one parcel to another I own because they are owned by different group names. That is how I know.

You can mute the thing sending out the fireworks, it will stop the sounds.

I left my fireworks out a day or so on my parcel, although I have no close neighbor where I rezzed them, I'm sure they could be seen from neighboring parcels. that was kind of the idea. But they celebrate the same holidays.  

I'd calm down and wait this one out if it were me. 

You can ask them to restrict noises to their own parcel, though. Really all neighbors should do that regardless. Since they made the parcel 'no see' I am surprised they didn't restrict sounds too.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Disturbing the Peace

Every Resident has a right to live their Second Life. Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content,
the use of repetitive sounds
, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace

Keep submitting Abuse Reports and be specific as to what Community Standard is continually being broken by your neighbour. Whether LL will actually take action is another matter.

This does not apply to what one does on one's own land. It's about going on someone else's land and disturbing their peace.

I don't feel an AR is appropriate in this situation.

Melita Magic wrote:

This does not apply to what one does on one's own land. It's about going on someone else's land and disturbing their peace.

Correcto. Repeated sounds are used frequently (sound loops for birdsong, cityscape noises, fans or propellers), they're completely fine to use at any intensity (or frequency) on your own land.

This is not an ARable activity. Further, a reminder to the OP that duplicate abuse reports can get your own account in trouble.

Melita Magic wrote:

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Disturbing the Peace

Every Resident has a right to live their Second Life. Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content,
the use of repetitive sounds
, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace

That's one interpretation but the CS makes no reference to the disturbance having to be on one's own land. If it is inhibiting another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life, in this case, an immediate neighbour, it's up to Linden Lab to make a judgement call on whether what is happening is a TOS breach or not.

Coby Foden wrote:

Ok, I went to have a look again there (Zamojski)
Wednesday 24th at 8:13 am SLT
.  Amazingly:

The fireworks have stopped. End of case.
  :matte-motes-big-grin:

That's great. Perhaps Extrude's AR yesterday worked or maybe the neighbour had a change of heart. :)

The excerpt you quoted makes clear reference to interrupting a scheduled event, followed by a string of griefing tactics.

People are allowed to use sounds on their own parcels.

It sounds to me like the neighbor put out some fireworks to celebrate something - for a few days, as I expected. Sounds like they were out about 3 days.  I think the neighbor over reacted, though I do think they could ask politely if the fireworks neighbor would please set their sounds to stay on their own parcel.

I've had some very annoying neighbors in the past, including ones who were definitely doing things purposely to annoy, but something going on for a few days is a minor annoyance, if you are thinking long term.

My guess is the person was celebrating the royal baby and now it's all done with.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Correcto. Repeated sounds are used frequently (sound loops for birdsong, cityscape noises, fans or propellers), they're completely fine to use at any intensity (or frequency) on your own land.

This is not an ARable activity. Further, a reminder to the OP that duplicate abuse reports can get your own account in trouble.

Thank  you and I agree it is best to try to save the AR for the real crises.

Melita Magic wrote:

The excerpt you quoted makes clear reference to interrupting a scheduled event, followed by a string of griefing tactics.

It sounds to me like the neighbor put out some fireworks to celebrate something - for a few days, as I expected. Sounds like they were out about 3 days.  I think the neighbor over reacted, though I do think they could ask politely if the fireworks neighbor would please set their sounds to stay on their own parcel.

I've had some very annoying neighbors in the past, including ones who were definitely doing things purposely to annoy, but something going on for a few days is a minor annoyance, if you are thinking long term.

My guess is the person was celebrating the royal baby and now it's all done with.

Each phrase there is separated by commas.

"Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content, the use of repetitive sounds, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace."

If this aplied to events only it would or should have read:

"Disrupting scheduled events WITH repeated transmission...etc, etc, etc."

Perrie Juran wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Each phrase there is separated by commas.

"Disrupting scheduled events, repeated transmission of undesired advertising content, the use of repetitive sounds, following or self-spawning items, or other objects that intentionally slow server performance or inhibit another Resident's ability to enjoy Second Life are examples of Disturbing the Peace."

If this aplied to events only it would or should have read:

"Disrupting scheduled events WITH repeated transmission...etc, etc, etc."

Yes, I know that. 

I still do not think it applies to what someone does on their own land. That cannot disturb someone else's peace. Not unless it is some obvious form of intentional griefing, or slops over the land border.

How is it griefing to use one's own land in a manner allowed for within SL TOS? 

Fireworks have been sold on the marketplace for nearly as long as SL has existed, including, according to one fireworks maker, to some Lindens.

I'll give up trying to explain that excerpt's subtext, since that's going to be futile.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.