Jump to content

LL Won't Reactive w/out Driver's License?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

I deactivated my account about 3 weeks ago.  I have been working with LL to reactivate my over 2 year-old account, and they say my place of birth is incorrect.  It is not incorrect and I never gave any incorrect birth location when I started that account over 2 years ago.

 

I have always used the same Paypal address for all my SL purchases which were over 30,000 in that 2-year time period, and I plan on using the same Paypal account and email address I have always had. 

 

However, like a broken record, the man I spoke to on the phone said my birth location does not match their records, AND I MUST SUBMIT  a scan of my Driver's License.

 

This is not safe to put my DL on the internet with my home address on it.  So, I asked the man I spoke to on the phone if I could block out my address on the DL via photoshop and all I want is a simple yes or no if I could block out the address, and he would not give me an answer. 

 

What do I do now?  I think this is crazy because all my Paypal transactions have been consistent to LL via the same Paypal email address.

 

SL is not a bank like Paypal is. 

 

My question is, is there any other way to send verification without my home address so I can reactivate this over 2-year account with over 30,000 items?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the only option?  I was hoping for something within the realm of common sense since I did submit my last transaction through Paypal (which is a bank), so they have that Paypal address which I gave them over the phone.

 

Snail mail, not exactly what I wanted to hear.  URGH!!!!!!!!!!  Nevertheless, it seems I have no choice.  Thanks for your response.

Link to post
Share on other sites


SpiritLydia wrote:

 

This is not safe to put my DL on the internet with my home address on it.  

 

Giving your information to LL is not putting your "DL on the internet."  It is simply providing information to a company to verify you are who you say you are to prevent fraud.  They are not going to create a web page with your info on it.  They are going to use it only for information to verify your identity.  I doubt anyone from LL will hunt you down from your address on your DL.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Paypal is not a bank. Paypal has never been a bank. What lead you to believe this I shall never know. They are an online service that works with banks to move money around. They save all your information to a database. THERE database just like amazon.com does. They then request the money from your bank when you make  purchases through them. Giving them your address is no safer then giving LL your address as both are legitimate business within the united states and governed by united states law. They are required to protect the identities of the customers per USA law to the best of there abilities. You are no less safe telling them where you live then you were when you told paypal the same thing.

 

AGAIN PAYPAL IS NOT A BANK AND NEVER WAS! To say your being ridiculous here I think is moot point and obivous.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What you should do is send them a copy of your drivers license and once you can log back in with your account you should move out of your address for a few weeks. Just a week or two because that's when LL sends them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


SpiritLydia wrote:

My question is, is there any other way to send verification without my home address...

Doesn't sound like it, nope.

LL already has my home address, under "Contact Information".

I also handed my DL number over to a third party when I age-verified (back when they actually did that).

Nobody has stolen my identity or sent pizzas to my door yet.


... so I can reactivate this over 2-year account with over 30,000 items?


Don't be surprised if, when your account is reactivated, your inventory is empty (except for Library items).

 

32px-KBwarning.png Warning: Even if your account is restored, the associated inventory, land, and Linden dollar balance may be unrecoverable.
Link to post
Share on other sites

SpiritLydia,

Don't be too hard on the Linden Research representative.

When you deactivated [Canceled] your account then decided to reactivate it, you fell under the current rules for account validation. This is all that happened. The representative doesn't know nor can he see the answer to the question of "What city you were born in".  I'm guessing it is probably blank. All he is doing is typing in your response and getting back a "no-match" from his system. Many businesses use this same double blind method to manage security and to verify account information. It's a part of the increased security 2 factor methodology you keep on hearing about in the news.

If you have the option to fax your DL to his attention, do it. Once it has been used to verify who you are it will be shredded per normal records destruction policies that most businesses have in place. I understand your hesitance to email a scanned image of your DL as an attachment in an email as true to form, it will bounce across many email servers on its way to the representatives attention.

The Linden Research representative isn't worried about your payment method and the fact that you have a verified PayPal account means nothing to this process. He has to verify you using the current methods he is allowed to request. As silly as it sounds, this means he can not use the address data you have on file with your account as well. He needs a positive answer to one of the Security Questions.

Once an account is in a "non-confirmed" status this is the procedure you have to comply with to get it recovered. Your account is in this state simply because you created it before the Security Question policy was started by Linden Research. Once he verifies that you are, in fact, you, with a image of your DL, he is allowed to override the security blocks and get you back active and online. [i imagine he gets a brownie point for confirming that a DL was used to verify your identity when he documents why the security override was performed.]

Unfortunately, Call Center staff are not taught or possibly not even allowed to share any of how this all works with you. I've worked with Call Centers on behalf of my real world clients on setting this kind of thing up before.

P.S. Since your deactivation happened only 3 weeks ago, you stand an excellent chance of getting your inventory back as you left it. The Big semi-annual Inventory Maintenance project, that is usually announced in the Grid Schedule, has not run recently. Crossing my fingers for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites


KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

SpiritLydia
,

Don't be too hard on the Linden Research representative.

When you deactivated [Canceled] your account then decided to reactivate it, you fell under the current rules for account validation. This is all that happened. The representative doesn't know nor can he see the answer to the question of "What city you were born in". 
I'm guessing it is probably blank
. All he is doing is typing in your response and getting back a "no-match" from his system. Many businesses use this same double blind method to manage security and to verify account information. It's a part of the increased security 2 factor methodology you keep on hearing about in the news.
<snip>


Actually I think they may.  The one time I had to do a password reset I had a typo in my security question.

This got handled over the phone and they saw the typo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be an inconveneince to you. At least not any tom, Dick, Or Hary can just flat claim any account. If they didnt take these security measures, you would be in here complaining that they just gave your account away because of lack of security

Link to post
Share on other sites


SpiritLydia wrote:

That's the only option?  I was hoping for something
within the realm of common sense
since I did submit my last transaction through Paypal (which is a bank), so they have that Paypal address which I gave them over the phone.

 

Snail mail, not exactly what I wanted to hear.  URGH!!!!!!!!!!  Nevertheless, it seems I have no choice.  Thanks for your response.

Okay, I've been keeping my mouth shut but now I can't help it. You cancel your account, then develop a burning desire to re-open it three weeks later? And you also apparently chose a security question answer that you either messed up or can't remember?

Common sense DOES seem to be in short supply these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

password hack.jpg

 


Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

It may be an inconveneince to you. At least not any tom, Dick, Or Hary can just flat claim any account. If they didnt take these security measures, you would be in here complaining that they just gave your account away because of lack of security

What would have been even worse would have been having to change their dog's name.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Drivers License will resolve the status of her account which is now "Non-verified". That's all. A positive Identification is now required to remove the security block on her account. Afterwards she can pick any Security question she wants and supply the correct answer for it in case positive identification is ever needed again. The DL will show positively that she is the account owner of record and owns proper identification as that account holder.

Link to post
Share on other sites

would you rather have that someone random can get access to your account by simply sending LL an email telling them that account XXX should now be linked to the email address dirty.little@scammer.com?

Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, how would LL even know it's not a stolen DL?

 

And, if as Griffin, on page 1 here says, I will lose all my inventory, then what is the point of having a reactivation at all?

 

And as far as Paypal, it used to be a bank with it's own credit card, etc., as to whether it is still a bank, I'm not sure. However, Paypal has a way of making sure it is you by depositing a small amount of change in your account which is added to your bank statement, and then you activate with that small amount of change (say .32 cents for example) plus other security measure that Paypal employs. 

 

However, what's the point of having a reactivation if there is nothing to reactive as stated by Griffin on Page 1, which I did not see when I deactivated.  When I deactivated, there was no such warning.  It said, it may be difficult to reactivate, but not that all items would be eliminated.  As to why I deactivated, that's neither here nor there at this point in time.  It was an illness, not necessary to talk about.   

Link to post
Share on other sites


SpiritLydia wrote:

And as far as Paypal, it used to be a bank with it's own credit card, etc., as to whether it is still a bank, I'm not sure.  


PayPal was never a bank. It's an online vendor payment processing system and since '02 a wholly owned subsidiary of eBay.


However, what's the point of having a reactivation if there is nothing to reactive as stated by Griffin on Page 1, which I did not see when I deactivated.  When I deactivated, there was no such warning.  It said, it may be difficult to reactivate, but not that all items would be eliminated.  


I don't know what it said 2 years ago, but the account deletion page now says this:

While deleted accounts can occasionally be reactivated by Customer Support, the process can take a significant amount of time to complete, and unfortunately we are unable to guarantee that the inventory, friends list, and land holdings of the account will remain intact. Additionally, reactivation of the account will require a full account verification, which can include verification of your secret question, any payment methods on file, and sending a copy of your most recent government-issued ID to our fax number. These steps are taken to ensure that, if the account is reactivated, the account and its associated payment methods are in the hands of their rightful owner. Your security and privacy are very important to us. [bolding mine.]

it's for your security.

Link to post
Share on other sites


SpiritLydia wrote:

First of all, how would LL even know it's not a stolen DL
?

 

And, if as Griffin, on page 1 here says, I will lose all my inventory, then what is the point of having a reactivation at all?

 

And as far as Paypal, it used to be a bank with it's own credit card, etc., as to whether it is still a bank, I'm not sure. However, Paypal has a way of making sure it is you by depositing a small amount of change in your account which is added to your bank statement, and then you activate with that small amount of change (say .32 cents for example) plus other security measure that Paypal employs. 

 

However, what's the point of having a reactivation if there is nothing to reactive as stated by Griffin on Page 1, which I did not see when I deactivated.  When I deactivated, there was no such warning.  It said, it may be difficult to reactivate, but not that all items would be eliminated.  As to why I deactivated, that's neither here nor there at this point in time.  It was an illness, not necessary to talk about.   

Well of course, they would not. On the other hand if the RL name on the license matches the one you used to start the account LL would have to assume you are who  you claim to be.

I fail to understand your reluctance to give LL your driver's license info. Do you think they're really in the car theft buisiness, and are using stolen driver license info to register their stolen cars? I'm not saying they aren't, mind you. It is clearly possible, just as it is with everyplace that sees your driver's license. I just think suspecting LL regarding this is silly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets see,

~~~ Someone in the real world steals a Drivers license to reactivate a canceled SecondLife account. That are the odds of that?

Lydia, do you want your account back or don't you? Stop debating/arguing with us and send a copy of your DL to LL before something happens to your inventory. You are only 3 weeks canceled. Get a new payment method established so your account can be restored. You need to pay linden research $9.95 for the account restoration. Play nice with the Linden Research representative. He is trying to help YOU. You are the one with the canceled account.

Link to post
Share on other sites


chrismignon McDonnell wrote:

anyone could take your information on facebook, l
ogin with guest user and claim your account

 this is why LL request your card

 

I have always said FB was a perfect place for hackers to learn all about a persons family. Mothers maiden names etc. All of which are common password recovery questions/answers. That's the whole ignorance about FB LOL. People just sling their real life info around on the net like its nothing. Even criminals/dumbasses post their crimes on FB. How stupid can one be lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2827 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...