Starting My Own Business

Ardentika
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so back in the days I used to be pretty good at doing all kinds of stuff in Sims 2, but it was all free. Since SL is quite similar to Sims I thought that I could use my talent here to earn some lindens ,but it turns out I have to invest some money which I don't have. The whole thing with the importing of textures cost is really not making it easy for me.

So I was wondering is there something like a sponsorship for the newbies in business, or is there any good way to start making money with the talent I have? I mean what else can I do?

Oh and I'm no interested in opening an inworld shop, I just want to start selling at the market for starters.

Hi! There's a semi-hidden feature called "Local Texture". You find this under your texture select, there's going to be a radio-button to call up Local Texture.

With this, you get to select any PNG file on your computer, and you can preview what that's going to look like directly in SL without uploading it first.  Overwriting the PNG file by saving it from Gimp or Photoshop, makes it instantly update in your SL window. That's real handy if you work with textures lots, you see a live preview. But only you can see it, everyone else will get a grey prim.

There's no actual way around the upload cost of 10L per texture, it's kind of like the Linden Lab tax. Good luck and have fun with your business!

PS: Also, if you want to make some Linden on the quick doing a few cool textures for me, send an IM. Original message poster only, please, 'cause I can't accomodate everyone who might be reading this post years later and this is just to help out.

Vegro Solari wrote:

Hi! There's a semi-hidden feature called "Local Texture". You find this under your texture select, there's going to be a radio-button to call up Local Texture.

With this, you get to select any PNG file on your computer, ...

It's not limited to PNG files only. Targa (TGA) files work too.

(JPG files work too but there is no advantage in using lossy file format - rather it is a very bad choice.)

Financial help for newbs wanting to start a business is non existent.  Sorry, you have to do as the rest of us have and put some of your own money into it. 

The use of local textures does help when you are trying to be sure that your textures look the way you want them to, however you will have to pay $10L per upload when you want to use them permanently on something you are going to sell.  Unless you are capable of creating everything you need for your products, you will also probably need other supplies.  Depending on what you make that could be, textures, sculpt maps, mesh models, scripts and animations.

You could rearrange your RL priorities and spend some of the money you would in RL on entertainment, going out, or even buying lunch instead of brown bagging it and use that money to buy L's.  You could get a part time job in RL or you could get a job in SL and earn a few L's for uploads and building supplies to start out with.  Jobs generally require you to be 30-90 days old and have upgraded your avatar with good skin, hair, clothes etc.

You should also understand that a business in SL is like one in RL.  You may not earn a profit from it for a while or even ever. There are a lot of very talented people that don't, but they view it as a hobby where they can be creative and are just happy if they make a sale once in a while to offset some expenses.  

Coby Foden wrote:

Vegro Solari wrote:

With this, you get to select any PNG file on your computer, ...

It's not limited to PNG files only. Targa (TGA) files work too.

(JPG files work too but there is no advantage in using lossy file format - rather it is a very bad choice.)

Aside  from the fact you cant make PNG or TGA files shiney...

Archived