could not delete this post

Trista Banx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You were not specific enough when you said anything else graphics or sound related , but most likely you haven't ran anything else graphics intensive enough to cause your fans to 'kick into overdrive'. If you can mute everything on your computer and still hear it with SL viewers, the 'digital' description might really be just a bad guess.

The only thing that happens on my computer that I hear as soon as a viewer program is opened and before log in is the louder sound of fans kicking on, even though they will be running and heard otherwise - just not as loud. I would open your case and examine your fans very good - look for anything at all that one of them might be contacting. It's very easy for one of your wires to be slightly in the way, or even one of the fans themselves to not be seated as it should. I don't see how it could be anything else.

ETA: It is also possible that a fan could have bad bearings - they can be loud when running and you should be able to tell by paying close attention visually, with case open, when they run. That would mean that individual fan needs to be replaced before it eventually freezes up altogether.

I highly doubt that it's the video card.

But it is! GPUs are known for producing weird electrical, whining, whirring noises when under load, must'nt even be the fans but their innards can do it as well. Not much you can do about it but bringing the card back to the shop and ask for replacement. They might laugh at you and declare those noises as inside the tolerances and perfecly normal tho.

it's not the fans. I wear head phones this is not coming from hardware at all. I wasn't specific with the "anything related" thing because "nothing else" of dozens of things I run that are relative cause the noise. Anyway TY for trying to help :)

I'm willing to consider it being the card, but being that it's one of the most highly rated and popular cards in the gaming industry, and the fact that it doesnt give me any problems like that with anything else... let me repeat..... "not anything else... no other games, no videos, no programs"...... I would be inclined to see it as a compatibility problem between SL and a high end video card. But there are others that have the same or similar kind of GPU that have no problems with SL, so I'm puzzled still :/ I still have no solution or way to diagnose this. I'm not returning the card... it's brand new and nothing is wrong with the hardware or drivers.

Long shot, but another thing to check is that the sound isn't coming from slplugin.

This doesnt happen very often and why it does sometimes happen is a complete mystery.

Bring up your volume mixer and find slplugin in the list of applications (there will likely be more then one slplugin running)  and mute the volume on them all and see if the strange noise stops.

If it's headphones you have a chance to eliminate mechanical noise as a possibility.

Are we talking USB or analogue connection? Even wireless headphones are possible. It could be a cable fault on analogue. And, if it's the headphones picking up RFI generated by the video card, it could be the video cable. Check the cables for signs od damage.

This is semi-guesswork, but there is a reason some computer cables have that lump-thing in them. It's to stop noise signals getting out of the computer. I have one in the power lead of my laptop, at the laptop-end. If you have such a lead, check you have the lump at the computer end. Most types of video lead which I have seen can be used either way. around.

It's worth trying to install the card to other slot in the mother board. And make sure that it's firmly in place. Sometimes it could be that some of the connectors don't have proper connection. It could even help removing the card and installing it back into the same slot.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I'm guessing its a noise you hear throuh the headphones when you are in SL.. Perhaps the ambient sounds have ben turned on due to the new card?

This was what I was thinking. Either that, or the card is heating up components on his sound card enough to cause them to produce a noise, but that would be rare.

My gut is it's the GPU fan spooling up, even though he claims it's not. The fan will run at 60-100% with SL running, while usually at 30% or less when it's not. that's normal for graphic intesnsive games.

She said it starts as soon as she loads the viewer software on her computer - even before login.

It's going to be either the card itself (defective or maybe not seated well) or one of the fans; My fans kick on higher as soon as the software loads on my computer, every time, even before login. The software itself shouldn't have any sounds at all before a login.

Someone on the forums had the same or similair issue with his/her gtx670 recently. I can't find the thread right away, but from what I recall it was most definitely a graphics card fault. There was a weird noise when running SL and it wasn't coming from the fans. I think that card was replaced which solved the issue, although I am not 100% sure.

Maybe you could search the forums.

• 4 years later...

From what I have experienced with this problem, it is a loud sort of screech/static sound. Though this sound only happens before the main viewer window loads up, and it lasts less than a second. Also this sound only occurs with certain viewers examples of this being Secondlife viewer, and Blackdragon. As viewers like Alchemy, and Firestorm do not exhibit this problem. But I would also love to know the source of the issue.

Edited by firefoxdragon

58 minutes ago, firefoxdragon said:

From what I have experienced with this problem, it is a loud sort of screech/static sound. Though this sound only happens before the main viewer window loads up, and it lasts less than a second. Also this sound only occurs with certain viewers examples of this being Secondlife viewer, and Blackdragon. As viewers like Alchemy, and Firestorm do not exhibit this problem. But I would also love to know the source of the issue.

Since the content of the original post was deleted and all of the above posts were roughly 4 years ago, I'd suggest you start your own thread with details if you would like any answers.

1 hour ago, firefoxdragon said:

Sounds like https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9781

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.