Sparkling shimmering effect on clothing

MaisieMoore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

MaisieMoore wrote:

Hi all I've been experimenting and trying all sorts of things to duplicate the shimmering effect I see on some gowns in sl but I just can't figure it out. Does anyone have any idea of this is done?

As Morgain requested, an example of the effect you wish to obtain would be helpful. Without an example, I'll have to make a wild guess, which I'm always happy to do!

I have seen "shimmering" on objects and prim attachments that are textured with very high contrast, high frequency patterns. The shimmer comes from the Moiré effect as the viewer samples the texture for display. The simplest such texture would be black and white checkerboard pattern. It needn't be large, as you can repeat it across the object. In fact, it is the repetition which makes the shimmer, as the checkerboard pattern can be repeated such that it vastly exceeds the resolution of your screen. You may be able to find a high contrast texture in the SL library which, when given a high enough repeat count, produces some shimmer. Otherwise, checkerboard patterns are easy to find on the web.This technique does not work well on clothing layer textures because texture repeats are not possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't made the shimmering clothing myself but have seen it and had some items that had this feature. From what I understand the texture on that layer of clothing object is animated.

Yes the texture itself is animated!

There are some builders related stores that specialize in animated textures to give you an idea what its about.

Basically the texture is made divided into a number of sections and it works along with a script that calls for the specific number of sections. The script then shows one section of the texture at a time in a succession loop. Each section is made to be a small bit different than the section before it. A bit like how they made original cartoon reals. Both are placed inside the prim to case the shimmering look.

One issue I have had with using animated textures for non related projects is that it doesn't allow you to have different things going on on different surfaces. All surfaces end up the same. 

Animating a texture isn't a problem but I tend to disagree.  The one that I bought a long time ago was based on the Moire effect as previously mentioned.  Static texture.

It *could* be done to a fashion with an animated texture but the best and most common that i've seen are not.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.