How can I activate SHADOWS in Second Life 3.6.1.278007?

lo0nelygurL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

If you can't select the Advanced Lighting model, it's probably because your graphics card is not up to the task.  My NVIDIA GTX 670 card goes from 30% power use to 100+% when I use this mode.  It takes some serious graphics horsepower.

You cannot select Advance Lighting mode unless your computer is capable of supporting graphics quality beyond High Quality.  Set your graphics slider in Preferences >> Graphics.  You should be aware that even if your machine will support Ultra quality graphics, you will see a drop in performance when you make that change and your machine may report an increase in the operating temperature of your graphics card.  You may be able to compensate by decreasing your draw distance. 

What graphics card do you have in your computer?

Perhaps your card does not support Shadows but with some cards, you need to be in Ultra (not just High) before Shadows will become available or perhaps you are using a very old driver. Select Help > About Second Life on the login page and copy/paste the details into a reply here using Options/Edit. If the specs only give the card series, please add in the actual model if known.

If it's the case that you need to be in Ultra before the LL viewer activates Shadows (as it does with my card) and you'd prefer to just use High for performance reasons, you may wish to try Nirans Viewer which uses a totally different and more flexible method of graphics level selection.

Correction: Actually, with the LL viewer and my card, it's not a tick box issue, it's a visual issue in that shadows do not show until in Ultra (got up too early this morning) but let's see what card you have and if there is anything more that can be done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.