Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Fusionbolt2000

Selling things for Linden made in educational 3ds max?

Recommended Posts

I wonder if it is a thing that is allowed, they say I can't use it commercially, but I techichally don't use it for real money, even if Linden can be made into real money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to close your loophole:

Free Autodesk software licenses and/or cloud-based services are subject to acceptance of and compliance with the terms and conditions of the license agreement or terms of service, as applicable, that accompany such software or cloud-based services. Software licenses and/or cloud-based services provided without charge to Education Community members may be used solely for learning, teaching, and training in relation to the instructional functions performed by a primary or secondary educational institution or other degree- or certificate-granting institution. Such software and cloud-based services shall not be used for commercial, professional or for-profit instructional purposes.

http://students.autodesk.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not even that I think, unless your avatar appearance is in any way related to your educational institution.

If you study game design, that could be the case.

Some things are answered in the FAQ, best thing you can do is contact Autodesk though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's for personal use, then It's fine. It only explicitly forbids you from using the software for profit.

Technically, any modeling practice contributes to your education in using 3d software, so there you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked for a college for many years. Here is what they told us.


You cannot legally use any educational software for purposes of making money. That is what every license that I have ever read states.

If you sell for Lindens you can convert those Linden (EASILY) into dollars or you local currency. So any way you look at it, Lindens ARE real money :D. You are just looking for an out of the contract that you signed with the software :D.  You can of course do whatever you want. There are tons of folks using educational software to make money in SL, some are even using their KIDS copies. Doesn't make it right.


Since there are free alternatives, why not just use those? Then your conscience can be clear. OR make your items and give them away as gifts or as Marketplace freebies. They ARE in theory practice :D. The point of the educational software is to LEARN, not make money.

When you buy the software, then you can certainly use it to make tons and tons of dollars in SL! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, any tips on free alternates, cause I don't understand Blender at all xD Anyway, one person said it wasn't allowed, but then theres allot of people that says it is allowed to for an example, make games with it, I'm so confused xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Fusionbolt2000 wrote:

Well, any tips on free alternates, cause I don't understand Blender at all
xD
Anyway, one person said it wasn't allowed, but then theres allot of people that says it is allowed to for an example, make games with it, I'm so confused
xD

Blender is really the only game in town. You're not going to find anything that even comes close to the big 3d software suites out there that is "easy". Try Maya, for example. See how easy that transition is for you.

 

It's not Blender, really. It's just the nature of 3d modeling, texturing and rigging that is complicated and you're having to retrain yourself to use tools that are named differently and put in different places.

 

Get the latest version of Blender and really put your nose to it and you'll find that you get used to it. There are also presets that can help easy the transition some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My opinion is that you can't use models made in your student copy in SL period.  Trying to twist things around to imply that using them in SL is OK as long as you don't make money is just a false justification.  It is not learning teaching or training performed in connection with a school as the license specifically states it must be. Of course I may be wrong about how autodesk would feel.  You can always contact the company and ask them.  If you hesitate to do that you already know its wrong.

Sure you can get away with it, but you can't expect anyone to respect  your IP rights if you don't respect the IP rights of others.

Do yourself a favor and get Blender.  Since you know 3Ds Max, you should not have a hard time picking up on blender if you put your mind to it.  It will also help you in your career if you know both as it would show you are flexible and may also give you more opportunities for work in RL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rahkis Andel wrote:

If it's for personal use, then It's fine. It only explicitly forbids you from using the software for profit.

 

Technically, any modeling practice contributes to your education in using 3d software, so there you go.

That's not true, according to the part of the Autodesk website I highlighted in red.


Fusionbolt2000
wrote:

Well, any tips on free alternates, cause I don't understand Blender at all
xD
Anyway, one person said it wasn't allowed, but then theres allot of people that says it is allowed to for an example, make games with it, I'm so confused
xD

I wouldn't go by "what many people do" or even by "what the people at some educational institution" told their students.

Just contact Autodesk and you'll know for sure what is and what is not allowed. To me it all sounds very clear though: if you didn't get an assignment to make SL objects, you're not allowed to.

I'd also say if you want to build things for SL, try Blender. You'll get the most to-the-point advice and tips here too probably. The vast majority of Blender-SL builders are pure hobbyists, not professionals. If they can master the program, so can you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:


Rahkis Andel wrote:

If it's for personal use, then It's fine. It only explicitly forbids you from using the software for profit.

 

Technically, any modeling practice contributes to your education in using 3d software, so there you go.

That's not true, according to the part of the Autodesk website I highlighted in red.

Fusionbolt2000
wrote:

Well, any tips on free alternates, cause I don't understand Blender at all
xD
Anyway, one person said it wasn't allowed, but then theres allot of people that says it is allowed to for an example, make games with it, I'm so confused
xD

I wouldn't go by "what many people do" or even by "what the people at some educational institution" told their students.

Just contact Autodesk and you'll know for sure what is and what is not allowed. To me it all sounds very clear though: if you didn't get an assignment to make SL objects, you're not allowed to.

I'd also say if you want to build things for SL, try Blender. You'll get the most to-the-point advice and tips here too probably. The vast majority of Blender-SL builders are pure hobbyists, not professionals. If they can master the program, so can you.

You're right.

 

Just go with Blender until you're getting paid to use the professional software. It's more than you'll ever need for SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL it is even aginst the terms to lie about your educational status just to obtain a copy of the student version. Electronic fraud legally speaking. Go with Blender. It is just as hard to learn 3DS Max as it is Blender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I started modeling there was no blender so what was our free solution? We used gMax its a free version of 3dsmax 4 basically. It has the interface of 3dsmax and is free. You will probably have a tough time finding exporters for it but its what I learned on before buying 3dsMax. You can find it on the Turbosquid site and I highly recommend it if you plan on learning max later on down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...