Prim Taper Reverting Back???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is driving me potty lol.

I have a series of 9 tapered prims, forming a 90 degree curve. The curve (or track if it makes it easier to imagine) is also banked at 5 degrees, so is slightly higher on the outside than the inside of the curve.

I've changed the colour of every second prim so you can see the seperate tapered prims in the set.

90 Curved Piece Whole Pic

Initially, there were gaps forming towards the inner curve (between each tapered prim) which is solved by adjusting the x taper to 0.498 from 0.500

But, frustratingly, the value reverts back to 0.500, sometimes after a minute or so or after several minutes. I took the set to Builders Brewery sandbox and rezzed it, set the X taper to 0.498 and then left the sandbox. Where I'm building at  ground level, the gaps still form after a few minutes. I took the prim set up to 4k platform, adjusted the taper to 0.498 and it appeared to stay so i though 'Ahhh..seems to be different results up here'.

I then TP'd back to BB sandbox and the gaps were now visible :-(

linked, unlinked makes no difference.

Tapered pieces - close up

As 2nd image shows (I hope), X Taper is reverted back to 0.500 which results in slight gaps between the tapered prims.

The only thing I can now try is another viewer as I've already tried 2 sims.

I'm on Firestorm 4.4.2 (34167) so will try the latest Second life viewer and see if the results are any different.

It can't be a case of rounded off numbers, quite the opposite and prim drift happens over time does it not?very frustrating.

* Update *

Mm I had forgotten about the extra decimal point number on the FS viewer.

Values on the SL viewer are only 2 numbers after the decimal point so I cannot have 0.498, just 0.49 which is a little too much but at least fills the gap, if not overlapping slightly and causing a small amount of flicker.

Try big changes ... instead of from .498 to .5, try going to 0, then straight to .498

Small object changes are sometimes discarded, but the viewer relies on its local version of events until a server update comes through. The bigger changes are to help prompt the server into actually mkaing them.

Oh, I think you may actually be stuck,

Check out these pages --

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ObjectUpdate

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/ObjectShape

Taper is a signed 8 bit integer, meaning that the -1.0 to 1.0 we enter in the editor are scaled out to the range -128 to 127, as integers. So the real precision isn't the full 3 places we see in the editor.

• 5 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.