SSB via T-Mobile cellphone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Monty,

What I am using is a mifi220 hotspot through verizon wireless, I've tried it as a wireless device, I've tried it through my router (our normal set up)  and I've tried it teathered with the usb to my laptop.  I then switched to a "5spot"  that I had laying around through verizon as well..   still no luck.  I then logged on using my Motorola razr using foxfi as the wireless connection and everyone was in color. 

The problem is SL uses a TON of data and I've already gone through my monthly data on my phone in less then a week.   my other connection is unlimited.   all through verizon.   I now have a USB dongle I am considering trying just to see if it will work, if not it will be $40 down the toilet, but I can't afford $40+ a week in overages because I am using my phone to connect constantly so I don't see gray people!!   lol

I have tried all the debugging, I've gone through all of the other suggestions, I've updated everything, uninstalled and reinstalled enough times to almost go insane!!   I've tried changing settings .. nothing seems to work!!   I hope you can get this resolved quickly! Thanks!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im having the same troubles. I have T-mobile and am in a 4G area using a Nexus 4 as a mobile hotspot Everything loads in fine  , except for avatars skin, clothing and tattoo layers. It is very frustrating. I have never had any issues until SSB.

• Lindens

What we're interested in are exact and complete descriptions of setups that have problems in the hope that we can reproduce them quickly here.  Unsupported modes are going to get limited attention and we don't actually have every device on the planet here.  We gots whats on the truck.  Several of the replies approach the detail we need:

• Whether this is a good or bad configuration.  Let's gather data on configurations that work as well as those that don't.
  • Approximate geographical location.
  • Wireless carrier details:  who, technology, bandwidth.  (Example:  Verizon, 3G, 5Mb/768kb)
  • Wireless device that talks to the carrier.  (Examples:  T-Mobile Sonic 2.0, Novatel Wireless Qualcomm 3G CDMA USB dongle)
  • Device/Computer interconnect (USB, wifi, ethernet cable)

I'm in Michigan zipcode is 48861

what is not working:

mifi2200 3g device (novatel) Verizon (tethered via usb, wirelessly, and through wireless router)

FIvespot 3g device not sure who makes it...  again Verizon (teathered via usb and wirelessly)

what IS working

broadband2go usb stick model mc760 3g device (novatel) Virgin Mobile (direct to usb)

Motorola Razr 3g and 4g using foxfi as the wirless connection   Verizon (wireless connection)

I've tried using both the SL viewer and Firestorm.   If there is any more information I can help you with please let me know!!   I have no idea what the 3g speeds are... 

Hi Monty,

One thing I discovered this weekend is that I can connect withthe MiFi2200 using my tablet and Lumiya 3-d viewer and have everyone in color.   I'm not sure if that will help you at all or not?   Also the mobile2go device.. I don't have a very good connection at the moment with it.. but after I posted it works, I am seeing only half baked people.. bottom half, or top half.. faces mising or entire heads gray...   I am not sure if that is a baking issue or beause of bad connection problems.  I wanted to try and get it to a better signal area to see if they rezzed fully.  

Elyse

There were two days I could see as well, it is an intermittent problem but bake fail is so close to all the time you may as well say all the time. This seems to be related to the issue where if you time out during a bake you do not receive updates.

Is there any progress? A work around until it is fixed? It must be a problem in the code itself, it seems to have nothing to do with the ability to see textures, they simply are not being downloaded. It may or may not be related a friend has a similar issue, she simply relogs until it works (usually 2-3 times

Some suggested solutions:

Make SSA default but allow client side baking to be turned on

If connection times out have a forced retry

Have the game engine not expect a certain file size

SL works great for me without SSB, with it the game is virtually unplayable, a laggy virtual bulletin board

Just a shot in the dark here but , could it have something to do with IPv4 vs IPv6 ? When I tether my phone via usb or mobile wifi hotspot , I can only connect with IPv4. Since the new standard is becoming Ipv6 , could there be some breakdown of communication during the conversion ?

• Lindens

IPv4 is fine, we only support and advertise via DNS IPv4 at this time.

As for progress, that mostly is reflected in jira where things are prioritized, scheduled, etc.  Good or bad, that's where most activity is.  This particular problem is challenged because it doesn't reproduce internally and it's an unsupported comms mode...

Ok with that being said , the unsupported comms part. Why does everything appear fine when I use the Lumiya Veiwer app on my phone ? Also when I am tethering with my laptop , I can go into character edit shape and everything appears fine , but as soon as I close appearance edit it goes back to gray. Im not understanding how something goes from working to not working after a update that you guys implemented and you say it is because of unsupported comms. Sorry for the attitude but sheesh come on guys ... I have spent tons of money on my avi and things on my account and would like to be able to enjoy them.

shakes my head....

I have to agree with Weetolow...  I was planning on purchaing another 10-15,000linden today  to pay rent and purchase a few new items for my land, but with everyone looking gray, I'm not sure what the point is!!  I've already purchased many linden over my time in SL and am getting to the point that my data usage is rediculous the only way I can connect!!  I've gone way over my data plan becasuse everyone is gray with my unlimited.  I have NO OTHER WAY to connect other then my cellular connection.  I do not have cables going by my house.. nothing!!  no dsl it is THE ONLY WAY!  I have in my posession an extra mifi2200 I would be williing to send if you can get it connected to verizon and then you could duplicate the problem.

It makes no sense.. I can connect with my tablet using an app and get better results, everyone baked, but using the SL viewer no one bakes.. I know I had 3 whole hours one day where everyone was baked.. OMG  when you consider how much time I am logged into SL that is NOTHING! it was once.. a fluke.. I've not been able to duplicate it since.  I can how ever (and this makes no sense to me.. a non technical person) go into edit shape mode.. be baked.. then while in edit shape mode tp and stil be baked and not in the edit shape stance.. I can walk and move.. I am still baked as long as the window is open (even minimized)  so I can see me baked, but everyone else is still gray.. *sighs*

if I could afford to log in with my cell phone all the time, I would do it.. but I can't.   if I could get a better signal with the vigin moble2go I would use that.. but it comes down to the only connection I can use without paying an arm and a leg is not working for me.  It all has to do with the changes you made, and it seems since you can no duplicate it you are not doing anything to try and fix it..  I'm at a loss.. I would hate to leave SL, but I can't afford to continue to pay overages on my data to make it any fun.. gray people just are not fun... I'd rather have a few fuzzy ones at a club the all gray ones everywhere...  I mean alone on my island I should be able to see me and a friend without any problem...   hell fly to my house, I'll duplicate the problem for you on ever computer we own..  

• Lindens

Appearance editing working followed by gray after accepting the change is a strong indicator of a problem.  And complete and detailed Jira reports are the best way to get action.  For these problems, we'd like to see:

• SecondLife.log from the failed session attached to the jira
  • If your worn outfit was failing, identify it so we can find it in your inventory (should you change your worn outfit later).  If you were attempt to change outfits and the target failed, identify it.
  • Network details as mentioned before:  carrier, wireless device, interconnect (usb, wi-fi, cable) and bandwidth.
  • In the jira description, include the following text to help with triage:  (SSA wireless)

i get the same speeds with my usb stick (3g) my cell phone (3gmode) and my mifi2200 (3g)

I have connected with the 3g mifi2200 for the past 4 years and have never had  a problem with items rezzing until the SSA too effect, and now the ONLY thing that is not rezzing are the avatars...  again since the SSA was implimented.  I doubt that speed is the cause of the problem.

oh and I ONLY have issued with ONE of the connections (unfortunately my main connection)......   not all 3

Drake ... Must be nice to be able to flaunt you nice big e-**bleep** data speeds, unfortunally in the real world most people don't get speeds anywhere near that ....... The whole point I am trying to make is ..and I quote " IT ALL WORKED FINE BEFORE THE IMPLEMENTATION OF PROJECT SUNSHINE " Tyvm and have a nice day sir ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3811 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.