64 bit viewer for windows 7 + 8 users.

Safra Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With all the changed that linden labs are intorducing, server side baking, the new text engines, threaded region crossings, mesh deformer (makes mesh fit avatar rather than editing avatar to fit mesh).    How about the realy obvious one.

Is thier any plans at all either by linden labs or any of the alternative viewer creators (firestorm / singularity / exodus... ect.) to create or implent a 64bit Secondlife Viewer platform for windows.

Hi, doubt there are official plans from Linden about this topic. Now with the new rules for TPV i´m not sure that would be allowed for.

The viewer needs alot DLL´s that might not be in 64 bit too and that are out of Lindens hands.

Mixing 16/32/64 bit parts to compile a software doesn´t really makes any sense in - gain speed.

The biggest change for 64bit ready software is the bigger address for memory.

I think, or hope, that server side baking and other changes made are a bigger improvement on stabilty and speed than update the viewer to 64bit.

Monti

There's a huge amount of work in making a 64-bit Viewer, and I cannot really see there being a TPV team that has the resources to do it. It's going to depend on Linden Labs. Normal 32-bit programs can use 2GB of RAM under Windows, but there's a compile option which allows about 3GB to be used under 64-bit Windows. There are bits of code which break when you do this. I don't know which Viewers have this option, other than Firestorm. There are other ways in which 64-bit Windows pays off, even with 32-bit software.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Singularity viewer is 64-bit. No problem, when using a
64-bit Linux

Indeed.

Imprudence, Teapot and Kokua are available as 64 bit Linux builds too.

And, differently than under windows, you need a 64 bit viewer under 64 bit Linux not just for performance, but also to have full functionality in regards of media ( audio and video) playback, as the media related  components included in 32 bit linux viewers don't work under 64 bit Linux systems, which makes viewers like LL official and also Firestorm  dysfunctional in regards of media playback, but that's a fact that is often being  hushed up and ignored especially by the  FS supporters and developers.  Let me quote some things I got told by the FS support: "64 bit Linux? Install a real operating system, use Windows, this will  solve all your problems. Supported Operating means that you can run our Viewer under this  system, it does not mean you can demand any support"

Singularity 64 bit, my viewer of choice on my 64 bit Linux system.

J.

Jean Horten wrote:

Let me quote some things I got told by the FS support: "64 bit Linux? Install a real operating system, use Windows, this will  solve all your problems.

Wow, I hope that's not one of the devs. Come to think of it...

Supported Operating means that you can run our Viewer under this  system, it does not mean you can demand any support"

I hope that wasn't someone from public relations.

These people say this (especially the first quote) and dare to write software? Do they realise NASA runs Linux? The people that put men on the moon and all?

Let me quote them: “We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable.”

It'd make more sense if 64-bit windows actually had proper 64-bit support to start with.  Or was entirely 64-bit itself.  But it's not.  If you want 64-bit environments, you want anything but Windows still.  Given how long it took Microsoft to drop or rewrite 8-bit and 16-bit components, I'd expect Windows to have wholly made the transition sometime in the mid 2040's.

The guy who recommended to use windows as ultimative solution for all problems still is  support lead of the german Firestorm support group.

I actually am not allowed to ask any 64 bit linux related questions anymore in any firestorm group, that's what the lead FS mac developer  told me in an IM.

J.

As far as I know there are no true 64-bit viewers for SL and has been mentioned earlier the challenge to compiling a 64-bit viewer is unavailabilty of 64-bit libraries. Several viewers have enabled Large Addess Aware (LAA) to get around the 2GB memory limit.

“We migrated key functions from Windows to Linux because we needed an operating system that was stable and reliable.”

We can only hope and pray they didn't decide on Ubuntu, Red Hat or anything using Gnome 3 for that matter. They are giving Linux a bad name with their unstable, unlogical crap **bleep** so called operating systems. :smileymad:

/me just remembers she's on Cinnamon herself, that goodlooking Gnome3 **bleep**. :smileysurprised: But I'm an ungeeky housewife so I'm forgiven for any bad decisions I may take, ain't I?

I kind of liked this page as a reference since it mentions Second Life.

"Open source software played a critical role in the Mars Rover program, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux turns up all over NASA, from the computers streaming spacecraft video to the server managing its mission countdown clock.In fact, Red Hat Community Engineer Jack Aboutboul got a behind the scenes look at just how prevalent open source is at NASA. Space junkies beware, the photos will make you green with envy."

Plenty of other sources that mention NASA and Red Hat.

Uh, you guys know probably that Red Hat is at least partially owned by Microsoft, do ya? And Red Hat is the driving force behind Gnome3. If I was a sarcastic girl I'd say MS is using the Red Hat guys as double agents to destroy Linux from the inside. But I'm not that sarcastic so I shall shut my trap now.

Except that isn't the case.  Microsoft and Red Hat have an agreement to not sue each other over patents, since both provide virtualization software and both have a vested interest to make sure their software virtualizes nicely with the other's platforms.  There's no money or stock options involved in the deal.  They're both wholly independent of each other.

It'd be like claiming that Intel owns Apple or vice versa because USB was co-developed by the two companies back in the 90s.

Oh, and furthermore, GNOME, regardless of version, isn't a Red Hat product.  It's a cooperative open source project of The GNOME Foundation.  If you don't like it, check out the code, make your mod, submit it to the community.  Or fork it in your own direction.

Baloo Uriza wrote:

Oh, and furthermore, GNOME, regardless of version, isn't a Red Hat product.  It's a cooperative open source project of The GNOME Foundation.  If you don't like it, check out the code, make your mod, submit it to the community.  Or fork it in your own direction.

But you do know that all  important gnome 3 devs and  designers are Red Hat employees?

J.

You're reading too much into the situation, since the GNOME foundation isn't obligated to accept their submissions, either.  And GNOME 3 really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.  Legacy mode works fine if you don't want all the GPU-intensive eyecandy.

Legacy? Do you  mean Gnome 3 Fallback, Gnome 3 Flashback or Gnome 3 classic?

No other DE has been  doing more damage to desktop linux than the  dumbed down  web content consumer GnomeS hell, once we had  one Gnome desktop, now  it fragmented into MATE, Consort, GnomeS hell, Gnome Flashback, Gnome Fallback, Gnome Classic,  Cinnamon, Unity plus some more and   hundereds of extensions that get broken intentionally by the Gnome developers  with every new minor version of Gnome 3.x  ' to ensure their idiotic 'Brand Identity '. Gnome 4 will be coming soon, and it will be ' the only truely free operating system' according to Jon McCann, the main Gnome Designer who is responsible for all that lack of customisation  and functionality removal and who is  on Red Hat's payroll and seems to spend most of his money on psychoactive drugs.

If GnomeS hell was useable, why would so many people fork and modify it?

J.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.