Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

It is impossible to reach to the hair fair, or one in there my avie its a cloud, or worst, the shops wont load... Gray hair fair. 

My pc its fine.  I went using Singularity and the SL viewer. I had to resort to the "test female" so i can become an avie instead of a cloud...

I don't know if its a problem from linden lab, the stores who put too many scripts or whatever, or.. maybe the visitors wont help: I think they bringing a super high rendering cost.  I see people with lots of attachments which complicate rendering cost (when i can, mostly some parts are missing since lots of people use mesh and usually i can see gray avatars). It is more important to dress nicely instead letting people to enjoy as well from the fair.

If you are planning to go to hair fair 2013, would you please please! wear the "Hair Fair 2013 - FREE Low Lag outfit & Hair Base - DCNY/Exile", please? Maybe you can help everyone to have a nice day on the fair too.  Not everyone has a cool pc or cool internet. SL its not for those who can have the money to pay for expensive pc or internet and the rest of the humanity just have a bad experience on crowded places.

Contribute!

Thank you very much!

 

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://whos.amung.us/swidget/pluginta.png" border="0" />

Link to post
Share on other sites

All of this time later, lag is still a problem at the fairs? 

Yes it's good to go bald and with only painted clothes and no shoes or HUDs. 

But why don't the fairs instead of installing high prim builds and lots of textures, just put very simple prim displays?

Looks like another one to skip. Too bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a common problem at any sales event. firstly the sims are full ... in this case all of them side by side putting a lot of strain not only on the servers but your computer as well. 

As for people that dress to look good at these things.. you dont have to be hairless in your panties to have a low rez weight and scripts. Unfortunatly lots of people dont know how to reduce these levels. Often the hairs shoes and accessories are high in scripts due to the sizers or colour pickers. the huds dont need to stay on screen once the colour is picked and most updated sizer scripts have a delete button in the menues. (always make a copy first).

the rez weights of clothing without prims can be the same if we are in a bikini or jeans and a tank top. the only differences in the painted on cloths may be in the rezolution and texture size the cloths were made from. 

Any avi can right click themselves and look for the script info choice in the menues that come up. if you use the pie menu youll need to hit more once or twice to get to it. for an event like the hair show you deffo dont need to be up in the hundreds for this. treat it like the exploration and rp sims where they request a max of 50 scripts and preferably less. my every day script count is usly under 20 unless i have a new item on that i have forgotten to delete the sizers, so it is possible to have a full avi look and still be low script and lag. 

as for the character test. if you have ever turned on the rez weight numbers that float over the avis heads and compare the numbers between the default avis the library avis and some of the nicely designed avis that residents make themselves youll find the default and library avis to have a very high rezweight. the labs spared no expense in rezcosts when designing the starter stuff.

so when you see an avi that looks great they may well have a lower rez and script weight than a default avi in its panties. chances are they are less since if their avi looks great they may know one or two of the things i have listed above. good luck at the fair and hopefully some shoppers will try some of these tips.

Link to post
Share on other sites


TishaRogue wrote:

This is a common problem at any sales event. firstly the sims are full ... in this case all of them side by side putting a lot of strain not only on the servers but your computer as well. 

As for people that dress to look good at these things.. you dont have to be hairless in your panties to have a low rez weight and scripts. Unfortunatly lots of people dont know how to reduce these levels. Often the hairs shoes and accessories are high in scripts due to the sizers or colour pickers. the huds dont need to stay on screen once the colour is picked and most updated sizer scripts have a delete button in the menues. (always make a copy first).

the rez weights of clothing without prims can be the same if we are in a bikini or jeans and a tank top. the only differences in the painted on cloths may be in the rezolution and texture size the cloths were made from. 

Any avi can right click themselves and look for the script info choice in the menues that come up. if you use the pie menu youll need to hit more once or twice to get to it. for an event like the hair show you deffo dont need to be up in the hundreds for this. treat it like the exploration and rp sims where they request a max of 50 scripts and preferably less. my every day script count is usly under 20 unless i have a new item on that i have forgotten to delete the sizers, so it is possible to have a full avi look and still be low script and lag. 

as for the character test. if you have ever turned on the rez weight numbers that float over the avis heads and compare the numbers between the default avis the library avis and some of the nicely designed avis that residents make themselves youll find the default and library avis to have a very high rezweight. the labs spared no expense in rezcosts when designing the starter stuff.

so when you see an avi that looks great they may well have a lower rez and script weight than a default avi in its panties. chances are they are less since if their avi looks great they may know one or two of the things i have listed above. good luck at the fair and hopefully some shoppers will try some of these tips.

The problem is outfits that have HUGE textures will still cause lag and there's no way to tell what the resolution of the textures on an outfit is. Unless someone knows how I'd be interested to know. It's better still to go in full alpha to these events.There's really no reason to look pretty at all anyway It's not like your there to go BF/GF hunting your there to shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scripts are turned off there for the visitors. But not the vendors - using scripted vendors rather than just buy, and plenty of adverts and other things.

 

Plus of course the note about textures above me - and even in the facility itself there are a LOT of highly detailed textures.

But as for getting there, each sim on the map seems to always show from 41 to 47 people. The limit is 40 - so the extrats are likely from assorted errors in the timing.

Give it a few days and the initial rush is over - and it will be a low lag ghost town.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

But as for getting there, each sim on the map seems to always show from 41 to 47 people. The limit is 40 - so the extrats are likely from assorted errors in the timing.

 

 

This is incorrect.  LL sets the default on a region to 40, but unlike mainland, private regions can be set by the estate owner to hold up to 100 avatars.  Of course you'd never want to raise it that high unless you have an empty sim and avatars that are as close to zero as you can get in render cost.  However 60 is possible on a well built well managed sim.

People do need to do their part by limiting what they wear. They should also collect their demos and go home to try them rather than doing it there.  Once you decide the ones you like, you can go back to get them.  By doing it this way you can go with nothing on but a solid color mannequin type skin.

However, I agree that these fairs could go a long way toward reducing lag if they didn't allow scripted vendors, and limited the builds to something very simple using only a couple of very low resolution textures. 

Someone said we don't go there to hunt for partners.  We don't go as tourists to see the sights either.  We go for hair.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, this year's Hair Fair took many sensible steps towards minimizing lag: from dividing the place into four interconnected, agents-limited regions, to a minimalist design (the Lego thing) to avoid graphical lag, to 1-4-four-avatar 'bus prims' to allow visitors to move themselves from store to store while minimizing lag for them and everyone else, to a free-to-join group where all the demos are given (so that you don't even have to visit the place to get them, if that's what you're after), to the mentioned low-lag outfits, etc.

But nothing can prevent laziness or selfishness, really. While there, I saw one person obviously AFK for probably over half an hour, and chances are she was aware that this wasn't nice to other would-be visitors, because she was using one of the 'bus prims' herself; and at least in another case, a visitor was dressing normally instead of low lag and trying the demos there while perfectly aware that, again, this wasn't exactly helping -and ironically enough, she, too, complained about the lag. All in all, I only saw one other person, besides myself, observing relatively strict lag avoidal rules.

 

Quite literally, the only way to effectively minimize all this would be to have 'lag guards' trying to enforce measures... which of course would alienate visitors who, by and large, choose to cause lag to others and to themselves. Most of these don't even see -or care about- the contradiction in complaining of full regions and lag, and then finally managing to get in and start doing exactly all the lag-inducing things.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:

All of this time later, lag is still a problem at the fairs? 

Yes it's good to go bald and with only painted clothes and no shoes or HUDs. 

But why don't the fairs instead of installing high prim builds and lots of textures, just put very simple prim displays?

Looks like another one to skip. Too bad.

I never go to any of the fairs for this reason.  Even with a newer PC I don't like dealing with a skazillion places to look through.  Of course I don't like to shop RL or SL either so I may be unusual. ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites


TishaRogue wrote:

 

As for people that dress to look good at these things.. you dont have to be hairless in your panties to have a low rez weight and scripts.

 


Very true.  Over the years I've collected skins that can be worn alone for these types of events (if I went to them, but they're still cool-looking skins).  One looks like an unrezzed clouded AV, another like a gray AV; others look like the AV was dipped in gold paint, etc.  These are made to be worn alone so I'm thinking the ARC would be like 1 with no hair or anything else added.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Madeline Blackbart wrote:

The problem is outfits that have HUGE textures will still cause lag and there's no way to tell what the resolution of the textures on an outfit is. Unless someone knows how I'd be interested to know.


Enable the Develop menu in the viewer then Develop, Render Metadata, Texture Size.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was also surprised when I went on the first day of how laggy it was.  The running in place and moving so slowly seemed so odd.  I would have thought that after being in business for 10 years, that LL would have figured out some way by now to fix situations like this from happening.  I'm not an expert in how everything in SL works, but it seems like the technology would be there to fix these issues.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Melita Magic wrote:

All of this time later, lag is still a problem at the fairs? 

Yes it's good to go bald and with only painted clothes and no shoes or HUDs. 

But why don't the fairs instead of installing high prim builds and lots of textures, just put very simple prim displays?

Looks like another one to skip. Too bad.

I never go to any of the fairs for this reason.  Even with a newer PC I don't like dealing with a skazillion places to look through.  Of course I don't like to shop RL or SL either so I may be unusual.
;)

I kind of enjoy shopping in world in SL sometimes and very very very rarely by marketplace...(depends what it is for; some things are harder to find easily 'in world.') But not when my poor little avi is stuck in molasses or goes sailing through walls...not when I can't actually do the thing I went there for. And I always remove HUDs and all but paint before I go...

I don't see why they focus so much on "OMG what a nice build" when people go there for the products. Not the builds. Not the big candy canes or whatever. Not the theme to the build, the baskillion competing textures, shadows etc.

If it were me I'd put some plain prims, flat, blank texture with one color (or they can go for broke and each vendor put their own color, but, not texture) with a BUY function and call it a day. Well aside from the texture showing the product. 

That would cut WAY down on the lag. 

I would also recommend putting all sales and fairs online somewhere but, with MP like it's been lately...I can't say that at the moment. But for future ones, YES! Give customers a break.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Melita Magic wrote:

All of this time later, lag is still a problem at the fairs? 

Yes it's good to go bald and with only painted clothes and no shoes or HUDs. 

But why don't the fairs instead of installing high prim builds and lots of textures, just put very simple prim displays?

Looks like another one to skip. Too bad.

I never go to any of the fairs for this reason.  Even with a newer PC I don't like dealing with a skazillion places to look through.  Of course I don't like to shop RL or SL either so I may be unusual.
;)

I kind of enjoy shopping in world in SL sometimes and very very very rarely by marketplace...(depends what it is for; some things are harder to find easily 'in world.') But not when my poor little avi is stuck in molasses or goes sailing through walls...not when I can't actually do the thing I went there for. And I always remove HUDs and all but paint before I go...

I don't see why they focus so much on "OMG what a nice build" when people go there for the products. Not the builds. Not the big candy canes or whatever. Not the theme to the build, the baskillion competing textures, shadows etc.

If it were me I'd put some plain prims, flat, blank texture with one color (or they can go for broke and each vendor put their own color, but, not texture) with a BUY function and call it a day. Well aside from the texture showing the product. 

That would cut WAY down on the lag. 

I would also recommend putting all sales and fairs online somewhere but, with MP like it's been lately...I can't say that at the moment. But for future ones, YES! Give customers a break.

Or if shops put the "fair" products in their shop instea do a limited "promotion"

I can`t get back there for the past hours to buy 2 that i liked and at this point more irritated about trying to buy it that i would actually every buy it

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Melita Magic wrote:

All of this time later, lag is still a problem at the fairs? 

Yes it's good to go bald and with only painted clothes and no shoes or HUDs. 

But why don't the fairs instead of installing high prim builds and lots of textures, just put very simple prim displays?

Looks like another one to skip. Too bad.

I never go to any of the fairs for this reason.  Even with a newer PC I don't like dealing with a skazillion places to look through.  Of course I don't like to shop RL or SL either so I may be unusual.
;)

I kind of enjoy shopping in world in SL sometimes and very very very rarely by marketplace...(depends what it is for; some things are harder to find easily 'in world.') But not when my poor little avi is stuck in molasses or goes sailing through walls...not when I can't actually do the thing I went there for. And I always remove HUDs and all but paint before I go...

I don't see why they focus so much on "OMG what a nice build" when people go there for the products. Not the builds. Not the big candy canes or whatever. Not the theme to the build, the baskillion competing textures, shadows etc.

If it were me I'd put some plain prims, flat, blank texture with one color (or they can go for broke and each vendor put their own color, but, not texture) with a BUY function and call it a day. Well aside from the texture showing the product. 

That would cut WAY down on the lag. 

I would also recommend putting all sales and fairs online somewhere but, with MP like it's been lately...I can't say that at the moment. But for future ones, YES! Give customers a break.

Someone earlier in the thread said there's a group to join where one can get all the demos free instead of going to the fair.  I like that idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I go to events like this, I go naked.

Ok, not really naked, but yes kinda naked. I strip everything down, throw on a full body alpha, put on a very plain solid colored skin(in case my alpha for whatever reason fails, don't want bits showing), take off all attachments including huds, and fly everywhere. Sometimes I walk too, but not usually if it's real big. That way I can stay out of others' way.

I also don't stand around longer than I have to. If I need to go afk, I tp out. No point in taking up agent room I don't intend to use.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


Pussycat Catnap wrote:

But as for getting there, each sim on the map seems to always show from 41 to 47 people. The limit is 40 - so the extrats are likely from assorted errors in the timing.

 

This is incorrect.  LL sets the
default
on a region to 40, but unlike mainland, private regions can be set by the estate owner to hold up to 100 avatars.  Of course you'd never want to raise it that high unless you have an empty sim and avatars that are as close to zero as you can get in render cost.  However 60 is possible on a well built well managed sim.

In this case it is correct. The sims report back as full when trying to TP to them until the number drops to 39.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:

If it were me I'd put some plain prims, flat, blank texture with one color (or they can go for broke and each vendor put their own color, but, not texture) with a BUY function and call it a day. Well aside from the texture showing the product. 

That would cut WAY down on the lag. 


I dislike but also understand the vendors. Every sale donates a certain percent to a charity. 25% or 30% - I forget. I presume the scripted vendors handles this, rather than relying on trust. You can be certain that if they relied on trust, and everyone was 100% accurate and gave their proper donation - there would still be a massive drama fest on a blog somewhere about how 'that other hair seller cheated'... :)

- this is also why the hairs are only being sold there. The charity. In past I've even bought some of the bandanas there, which I think go fully to the charity (not sure).

 

I'm sooooooooo with you on the plain prims though. :)

At least this time around EVERY SINGLE HAIR SOLD THERE can be gotten in demo form while sitting in your own lag free place and just pulling them out of the demo group notices. Then go to the blog to get the exact map coords of the seller, and go grab it. If you can get in... :)

Except of course they have forced landing points - meaning every visitor has to do the lag walk and lag others by so doing. :)

Almost got it right, closer than its been before, but not yet perfect. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey!, thanks for all your info!

I'll check it up about the number of scripts on the pie menu.  I already did the rez weight numbers... and were astonishing!.  While i was around 3000, i surprised myself with the first i saw, this avie had 15000.. But then, as i was walking around in a sea of grayness, i encountered a lot with red numbers, really high rez weight, around 300.000.  That's why i made this post.  

I used the character test to become from a cloud to an avie, and then return with my usual avie, and dress myself with low lag stuff, only the indispensable, the essential... I like my avie to be pretty, but i don't think hair fair is a place to show off given the circumstances. 

It's true you don't need to wear those clothes i suggest,  most of us probably have those painted clothes, low on scripts, or non.. i don't know.. and maybe there are some hairs without so many scripts..   

I went to a cool store down hair fair and i tested a demo.. and my numbers went from green to orange.  

I know you can look nice with low lag stuff, but as i said, must of avies don't. 

I know everytime there's an event like this, lag comes up, like a default experience... I don't know if there are someone with nice hardware who doesn't feel lag.. But you know there is lag.. and if there is lag, maybe the event organizers should make a note or advise not to wear clothes or attachments with larggy scripts and so... or prohibit the entering of laggy avies.  woudn't be nice for all of us?

Last night i finally could enter to cloud 4 and every store were gray... i coudn't see anything, not even with all my anti lag techniques.  Was frustrating.

Lastly, i'm not saying the avies have all the fault for the lag.  Maybe the structure arround should be simpler, the stores should decorate with low scripts.. Lots of stuff could prevent this to happen.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don`t take anything up to 40,000 - 80,00 too serious
Even one of my most basic outfits jumps to around 40,000, mesh hair alone can add 20,000 - 30,000 to 40,000 for long hair in "points"

300,000 however is just adding to the visual lag it takes to render all the people and objects :matte-motes-sour:

 

Sculpted outfits actually make the count explode compared to mesh, so even if people think they are low for not using mesh, in that stupid weighting count it gets stupidly high for some reason
My non mesh basic outfit weights around 93,000 :x

Link to post
Share on other sites

What about separated Sims?  it would be nice.  they are in the same land.. are the 4 areas affecting each other by being next to eachother?

i wanted to join the free demo group but couldn't.  Maybe i was in the hair sim and didn't load the group window, i can't remember, but i will do it in a free lag sim.

As for the afk avies, maybe they are just standing waiting the sim to load.  i do that, i edit my appearance, i touch everything, and if it isn't working al all,  i just stand there and wait.  Last night that even didn't work.. nothing would load.

Avies avoiding lag wearing low lag outfit or not wearing demos, i saw a few.

The lag guards that you suggest i already did.   but i though them as people first enter to the port, and then passing trough a  portal, if you ar laggy, you wont come in, and if you put laggy stuff one enter, you are banned from the sim, previous warning.  But those are strict and rough measurements.  isn't nice, i know.  but maybe we are rigor children's (hijos del rigor).  But if those egoistical people choose not to come, they would do a good to the ones that prefer have a nice experience shopping and seeing..  Lag people doesn't complain about lag.  That's why i inferred maybe they have a nice hardware and internet connection.. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...