Why No Copy / No Transfer Product Pictures?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

<soapbox>

Pet Peeve Time.

I've just purchased your product and I am excited and want to share with my friends what I got.

And in the package you have included a picture of the clothes or furniture or etc.

But for some reason unkown to me you have made that picture no copy or no transfer.

Why?

You just lost free advertising because I'm cheap and it would be a rare thing that I will spend the 10L to do a picture myself.

I wanted to spread the word about your product but now it aint gonna happen.  :)

Please make your pictures copy and transfer!

</soapbox>

It's not possible to make an image no copy/no transfer.  It has to be either one or the other.

As for not making them copy/transfer, the reason may be the same as why some people make their items no transfer.  Or perhaps they're afraid of copybotters using the pic as part of their marketing or a million and one reasons. Sometimes it's ignorance (i.e. it's what they think creators should do) but most of the time they do have a valid reason.

You might not like the perms a creator gives stuff but they have their reasons usually - whether you like their reasons or not.  You'd be better off contacting creators as you see stuff to ask them.  Ultimately, if you don't like the perms, don't buy from the creator.

Couldbe Yue wrote:

It's not possible to make an image no copy/no transfer.  It has to be either one or the other.

As for not making them copy/transfer, the reason may be the same as why some people make their items no transfer.  Or perhaps they're afraid of copybotters using the pic as part of their marketing or a million and one reasons. Sometimes it's ignorance (i.e. it's what they think creators should do) but most of the time they do have a valid reason.

You might not like the perms a creator gives stuff but they have their reasons usually - whether you like their reasons or not.  You'd be better off contacting creators as you see stuff to ask them.  Ultimately, if you don't like the perms, don't buy from the creator.

First off I said "or," not "and."

And I'm fully aware that if I don't like a Merchant's business practices that I am free to take my business elsewhere.

I am also aware of the fight Merchants have with their designs being stolen and support Merchant's rights.

If making the image no copy or transfer gives them a better sense of security, it is a pretty weak thing.  Usually the image enclosed is the same one they use on their In World vendors and on the Market place.

My POV, making the images no copy or no transfer hurts them more than helps them.  They lose the free advertising.

I'd say that easily 90% of my purchases are because I saw your product In World or somebody sent me a picture.

... they're afraid of copybotters using the pic as part of their marketing.....

If there is one thing that is easy to do is replicating a pic, regardless the permissions. So someone with bad intentions won't be stopped. That is why I agree with Perrie. Why not full perm pics? Most people have good intentions, at least, that is how I (as a person, a creator and a merchant) like to see the world. So why not have the benefits of free advertising.

IMO this also goes for notecards that come with products. What is the use of handing out no mod notecards? It is also easy to replicate in the first place. And second, if I speak for myself as a customer now, if I buy a product and it has a huge notecard, I like to be able to split it up in several smaller ones. It is not customer friendly if I can't the legal way. 

Many designers hand out no mod notecards because sometimes those mod notecards can be edited to say all sorts of unintentional things. And then sent out as if from that designer. All it takes is checking the properties to see the original creator.

Oh I get that. But even then. If I buy a product I can assume the notecard is from the creator. And why would I want to have a product notecard or a user manual without having the product itself? So I might buy the product after reading it? Maybe I'm missing something or wearing my blonde wig today, but if I seek product information I'll go to where the product is sold and /  or contact the creator in case of specific questions.

loki Caeran wrote:

Many designers hand out no mod notecards because sometimes those mod notecards can be edited to say all sorts of unintentional things. And then sent out as if from that designer. All it takes is checking the properties to see the original creator.

I used to have this paranoia. But then I figured how many would be bothered, and who cares. If people want to change my notecard by adding points to help them then it's good the notecard allows this. This is the only reason I can think of that someone would mod my notecard. So now my notecards are full perm (or I at least try to remember to make them full perm).

@ Pierrie when I go into 'set permissions' it's so much easier to set everything to copy mod than to deselect all and then select different perms for this and that - but I have to, so I do. I think some creators just set everything the same as the main product - laziness perhaps?

@couldbe you - Pierrie has a valid question that many merchants may not have considered, and raising issues such as this may lead to some changing their practice. This is the reason we have forums - to share ideas or concerns :)

Six Igaly wrote:

And why would I want to have a product notecard or a user manual without having the product itself? 

The reason my notecards are copy transfer (and mod now as well) is if the owner is having problems understanding it then he or she can give the notecard to a friend to help figure it out. The friend might be smarter :). And then maybe the friend can put some points on it to make it clearer or whatever. I'm not so **bleep** anymore about things like people modding my notecards.

Sometimes the reason might be as simple as they have their default uploads set to a specific set of perms and either don't bother changing them, or maybe even forgot.

I've done that, lol. In fact I did it a couple times before it dawned on me to change my default upload perms. I haven't done it since.

I'm sure that's not the reason for everyone, but it might be a reason for some.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Couldbe Yue wrote:

First off I said "or," not "and."

And I'm fully aware that if I don't like a Merchant's business practices that I am free to take my business elsewhere.

I am also aware of the fight Merchants have with their designs being stolen and support Merchant's rights.

If making the image no copy or transfer gives them a better sense of security, it is a pretty weak thing.  Usually the image enclosed is the same one they use on their In World vendors and on the Market place.

My POV, making the images no copy or no transfer hurts them more than helps them.  They lose the free advertising.

I'd say that easily 90% of my purchases are because I saw your product In World or somebody sent me a picture.

Oops, comprehension failure!  I read that sentence a couple of times because I couldn't work out how it had both perms removed and yet still managed to get it wrong.

as for the original point, you may well be right about the advertising but then you may be part of a small minority who does it (i've not experienced it, so I can't say). What I do know is that most people who create in here are working for pennies at best and creating and selling in here isn't as simple as people think, so if it makes them comfortable restricting the perms then that's their choice.

But my point about contacting sellers if you want them to change the way they do things is very valid.  Most creators don't read the forums and getting feedback from customers is rare. Some may get uptight as they percieve questions like this to be an affront to them but I'd say the vast majority of creators would welcome the chance to talk to someone who wanted to give feedback.

I think that the best advertising for creators is people wearing their products (ok, this do not work for furniture^^) and word of mouth advertising- Transferable pictures are not that important and a lot of creators have pictures of their products in the marketplace, Flickr, blogs, etc...so  many products are easy to show  just by clicking a link. .Also there is always the chance to show to your friends the product at the in-world store (more traffic^^)...if you really love that product and you really want to show it a quick TP in world should not be a big deal  Certainly may seem to have no sense to set pictures no copy or no transfer, but i tend to believe that creators are not idiots and probably they have their valid reasons to work in that way.

nuria Augapfel wrote:

BTW....i know i'm not going to discover a world for you but is extremely easy to show a no transfer/no copy picture just by rezzing a prim in-world and dropping the texture on it,  then you can send it to anyone you want.

You do realise that when you apply a texture to an object, the object inherits the properties of the texture?

But in general to the thread now, yes I know it is up to each Merchant to decide what is best practices for them.

I am of the opinion it is more advantageous if your product Images are transfer / copy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.