wow these spam bots are getting deeper..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

What is the 'oru team'?

I think that's a typo.

Amanda Linden      yes, we can. we'll add this to oru to do list for next time.

Amanda Linden:     i think that was on oru list marianne.

Amanda Linden:     its oru best shot.

:smileyvery-happy:

I didn't even look at it as a possible type, lmao. Good catch.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Ah. I hadn't heard of that.

I'm right about one thing though - they don't moderate, so the word 'moderators' is a misnomer for them.

Any more what they do is "censor."

When LL first started taking Lithium there were a few occasions where a "Moderator" posted in a thread something to the effect of  "keep it on topic, etc," but it's been ages since I've seen that.

I don't know why I think this now but I am under the impression that the job of censoring was mainly turned over to the Scouts.  I'm not sure now where I got that idea.

There are a lot of Forums where the Censors are called Moderators.  I guess it has become a euphemism.

In this Forum sometimes I don't think they are even trying to keep things moderate.  Sometimes they want it out right bland.

And welcome back Phil.  Good to see you posting again.

i thought the forums after the original forums was bot moderated..

then we switched to these now..

but then again..the spam bots would be here all weekend and not pulled out until like monday morning..and they were all week long as well back then..

so whatever they did in the last version..it failed hard..

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Posting to a thread started
05-26-2013
is "necroposting"? Wow.

Wow, wow!  :smileysurprised:  :smileyindifferent:

They go and close down a fairly recent thread.

... but ...

I wonder, why they still keep alive the forum area called:

"http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer-Basic-Mode/bd-p/SLViewerBasicMode"

If something is necro, that one surely is!  :smileyfrustrated:

SLViewer Basic Mode has been dead for a long, long time already. Shouldn't be very difficult to close down obsolete forum area too.

Well, now we need info about: after what period of time a post is considered as necroposting?

Anybody, any ideas? shrug-1.gif

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Well, now we need info about: after what period of time a post is considered as necroposting?

Anybody, any ideas?
shrug-1.gif

About a month and a half, I guess... :smileyfrustrated:

I just happened to pull up this thread right after the moderator posted that they were locking it, but before they actually did... I thought about hurrying up and posting a simple, "WTF? or IBTL," before it was locked.  I quickly decided against it, simply because I didn't want to get on a moderator's bad side for something so stupid?

...Dres *appears to have been beaten into submission*

Perrie Juran wrote:

post.JPG

And it appears to be official now. 

Necroposting is a sin!

Woot!

And I'm probably going to get in trouble for saying this, but why does this mod's name make me think of George Carlin?

Wow !

i just got a look a the thread (thanks Griffin for the link) and im just speachless ! 

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

Anybody, any ideas?
shrug-1.gif

About a month and a half, I guess... :smileyfrustrated:

Hmm... I still can see some threads been dormant for many months - then resurrected, not locked down.

Maybe each moderator has their own time frame definition for necroposting?  :smileysurprised:  :smileytongue:

Why can't they decide and define what is a necropost - and tell it in the forum guidelines too? I wonder.

Shooting randomly is not very cool.

there isn't even a guideline for necroposting though..lol

that's a silly reason to lock a threasd..they may as well take the freaking search option away if they are gonna start locking because of necros.

some necros are good necros anyways..

Coby Foden wrote:

Why can't they decide and define what is a necropost - and tell it in the forum guidelines too? I wonder.

Shooting randomly is not very cool. 

There's no reason for them to decided and say what constitutes a necropost because necroposting is NOT a reason to lock a thread. The person who locked it was presumably having a bad day, causing their judgement to be somewhat iffy, to say the least.

Necroposts are dealt with very well by the users, and there is never any reason for a moderator to jump in, except in the case of necroposting spam, of course..

If anything, I could see the last comments being removed as SPAM.

Necroposting however may be in the eye of the beholder.

Perhaps even though it is still not that old, it falls under Urban Dictionary's definition:

"The act of posting in a forum thread that is too old to matter any more, or has served it's purpose."

Still, if someone had encountered a new problem with selling no-copy items on the Market, I don't think tagging that thread would be necroposting.

Like other's I don't see necroposting in the Community Guidlines.

Perrie Juran wrote:

You mean about the 'fairies'? Being judged as spam would be very harsh, imo.

About the urban disctionary's definition:-

The thread wasn't "too old to matter any more", imo. Especially since the OP was one of the people who continued it in it's misjudged-as-necropost period.

It could be argued that it "has served its purpose" but, again, since the OP was involved, that argument may fail, as only the OP can really judge whether or not his/her thread has served his/her purpose. Imo, of course.

I think the 'moderator' probably misread the year 13 as 12, and simply made a mistake.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

You mean about the 'fairies'? Being judged as spam would be very harsh, imo.

About the urban disctionary's definition:-

The thread wasn't "
too old to matter any more
", imo. Especially since the OP was one of the people who continued it in it's misjudged-as-necropost period.

It could be argued that it "
has served its purpose
" but, again, since the OP was involved, that argument may fail, as only the OP can really judge whether or not his/her thread has served his/her purpose. Imo, of course.

I think the 'moderator' probably misread the year 13 as 12, and simply made a mistake.

I was looking at Sheena's post, "That's what brought me here was looking to sell all the eggs I have collected... if any one is interested .. check my profile and TP to my 'HOME' pick.." as possibly being considered advertising if SPAM is too strong a term.  But she did have multiple posts, one after the other even though they are not identical.

Your assessment, that the Mod may have misread the date, is plausible also. 

As a former mod elsewhere: One person needs to report one spam post one time. Once the mods get to the page they will see the rest. Multiple spam reports only adds more work for them and they have to sit there deleting or addressing each report, sometimes multiple for the same spam post or spammer.

It is only necessary to report each spam post, if you find a hidden spam they missed, forty pages back or something. 

JMO (just my opinion) FWIW (for what it is worth.)

There must be some way of dealing with these spam bots better.

I presume that there is already a block on creating multiple accounts from one IP address in a short space of time and the other obvious ones.

---

Edit:

Ohh I just looked they are't even doing that it is all one account.  Why isn't there a limitation on the number of threads someone can create? no one needs to make more than a couple of threads in an hour surely?

----

Is it not time now to think about setting up a block on any thread with "Call" and "Girls" in the title until they get bored?

Or getting an employee to check the forums at the times the spambot appears, afterall they seem to spam consistently at certain times of the day. My lunchtime at work the spam bots are spamming and when I log in on a weekend. It seems like I could almost set my watch by them.

Aethelwine wrote:

There must be some way of dealing with these spam bots better.

I presume that there is already a block on creating multiple accounts from one IP address in a short space of time and the other obvious ones.

---

Edit:

Ohh I just looked they are't even doing that it is all one account.  Why isn't there a limitation on the number of threads someone can create? no one needs to make more than a couple of threads in an hour surely?

----

Is it not time now to think about setting up a block on any thread with "Call" and "Girls" in the title until they get bored?

Or getting an employee to check the forums at the times the spambot appears, afterall they seem to spam consistently at certain times of the day. My lunchtime at work the spam bots are spamming and when I log in on a weekend. It seems like I could almost set my watch by them.

We already have WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY  to many words that get **bleep**ed by this Forum.

There are filters in place to reduce the problem but there are always people inventing ways to get around them.

Response time to the SPAM is still pretty quick.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3927 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.