Firestorm crashing upon ''loading world'' - I assume the rollout has begun.

Belinda Cifuentes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Already noted earlier problems in this thread:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/What-s-up-with-all-the-viewer-problems-Can-t-get-anything-to/qaq-p/2070981

Unlike the past several nights, were I was able to get a stable connection for hours after one or two crashes, tonight the Firestorm Viewer crashing time and time again when it gets to the "loading world" part. I can only assume this has something to do with the SSE rollout changes. Nothing has change on my end, so I can only surmise the rollout is causing even more significant system requirements than two days earlier.

Sometimes I get a "region logout has begun" message, but I doubt that message is really accurate because you shouldn't be getting that message after every third or fourt hlog-in attempt during a half hour period.

I am also beginning to wonder if, despite my DSL connection being able to handle SL quite well for hours - once I'm finally logged on successfully after five minutes or so that is - DSL is capable anymore of handling the initial log-on. If not, I wonder it LL knows this and just hasn't (or doesn't want to or even realizes it) update their minimum requirements to state that a cable connection is needed?

At least (I assume) I can use the old Phoenix viewer to log in to at least use chat (will soon test that) and say goodbye to friends? Because, although I appreciate the many suggestions and help from volunteers here, it is just becoming too frustrating and too time-consuming to try to figure this out.

Perhaps I'll make one last attempt to remain a member of the SL community and attempt to use a cable line instead of DSL after needing help to get that hooked up and tested. Frankly, it won't be a priority.

I'm open to testing SL on a friend's computer but frankly, beyond downloading the software, I don't know what that means in terms of files on my computer. Do those have to be copied over in order for SSE capabilities to work?

Thank you again to all those who volunteer their time and expertise in helping us technophobes out.

3 answers to this question

If it is a 'cabled' DSL (meaning not Wifi - Wifi is a total nono for SL) everything should be fine.

As seen from your linked other thread, pretty much everything had been perfectly covered already by Rolig and the others.

The Modem / Router is still also my biggest guess.

Alongside to possible throttles in the services of your ISP.
Some ISP (Internet Service Providers) have very hidden lil traps in their contracts and services. Some throttle down the upload or download speed when a certain amount of data-per second is reached, others do it when a certain amount of transfered data per month is reached and all of a sudden throttle you down to just the half speed. Even if they call it DSL *insert number here* they might make you fall beneath that number. To find out if there are any of such speed-traps in the DSL package you have, you need to talk to your ISP. but be aware - you need a 'competent' person to talk to. The usual Support-Employee will just answer: we are awesome, the product you booked is awesome, and there are no such throttles ; )
Once you have a good advisor on the phone, i'd suggest maybe looking what package options or other options they offer to enhance your experience. (be carefull they do not try to sell you the 'company-mega-pack-direct-line"-offer..well you know what i mean lol )

Another good thing would also be to get them to send a new router/modem, or run a test on yours (yes they can do that from afar - the result isn't always 100 % reliabale, but might be a hint, or at least make them send you a replacement)

Then the only other thing noone mentioned so far (as long as i did not oversee it - i read the whole other thread, but who knows : )) is the bandwith settings in the viewer. Tweaking those can help you improve a lot as well. Torley had dropped a good Tutorial on that here : http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tips-and-Tricks/QUICKTIP-Get-less-lag-in-seconds-by-increasing-your-Maximum/ba-p/670217

PS: it might not always be the right choice to 'up' the settings, if that is giving you more trouble you can also try to check for the generally best balance which is the half of your DSL's  'download' speed.

Needless to say that secondlife isn't like browsing the web, or watching youtube videos. (which seem to be working fine for you). It has to transfer and download a 'lot' of data, and thus is quite demanding. But to be fair.. every other gaming / platform of a similar complexity, does so too, and are similar demanding and can cause problems : )

PS: possibly also make a harddisk check. If the write/read speed isn't optimal, or maybe even has I/O errors that could possibly also lead to having the client give up when 'loading world' due to the massive amount of data it has to write. Just a guess. 
- to run a checkdisk (check your filesystem for errors) 

- to find out if the harddrive itself is okay, figure what manifacturer it has and download a testtool from their website.

Since everything else already has been said, and i added my 2 cents as well. I really hope you can get your issues fixed!

Cheers, Code.

The SSB changes have only been rolled out to about 144 regions (those running on the Le Tigre server channel).  So unless you are trying to log on in one of those regions, SSB/A is not the problem.

Try logging in to a different region.  Try turning off and rebooting your DSL modem and your router, if you have one.  Try a clean install of Firestorm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3931 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.