The amount of ripped models since mesh.

Shroom Rich

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know much about the law side of things when it comes to SL. But I have seen a high amount of merchants on SLmarket selling things which are direct copies from other games/software. I don't want to be the guy to point fingers but it gets on my nerves. I keep seeing the (inspired) tag for their products knowing for a fact it was just a rip. What's worse is the buyers leaving reviews commending them on their amazing work, when they had no hand in creating them.

This has to be against some type of copyright/infringment. 

Any opinions/info ?

Shroom Rich wrote:

So is Linden Labs not very active on cracking down?

Is there anything residents can do to prevent this?

LL is unable to 'crack down' legally, please read DMCA.

Users who don't own the infringed IP (intellectual property) cannot act on behalf of the IP holder, please read DMCA.

Suggest you search these forums (and using search engine of choice, too) to find other user's reactions. It's been discussed at length.

So whats your skin in this Game. Why is this effecting you or maybe you just like to harass merchants. And how do you know that the person selling it in SL isn't the creator of that model. With the new pro tools viewer were going to seeing a lot of professionals coming in world with there models.

The best thing you can do, honestly, is to just ignore it and encourage others not to buy such crap. It angers me too, but I understand what the implications of "too strict" policing would mean.

There is nothing LL can really do about it and there is nothing we can do about it as a whole either. We do -not- need stricter copyright laws. If anything, our laws are too strict.

We already have the looming issue of a staggered culture that cannot progress because there are immutable claims on every idea and advancement with no hopes of expanding upon them.

Okay, that's hyperbole, but still uncomfortably close our reality.

Gunner Grun wrote:

So whats your skin in this Game. Why is this effecting you or maybe you just like to harass merchants. And how do you know that the person selling it in SL isn't the creator of that model. With the new pro tools viewer were going to seeing a lot of professionals coming in world with there models.

Sorry to double post, but I just have to ask:

Are you really that naive, or are you one of those "creators" just ripping game assets straight into SL?

Sure, there are assets on the marketplace that are well known brand names uploaded by their actual copyright holders, but there are many more who are not -- that's obviously what this thread is about.

if you have solid evidence something is stolen content, go to law enforcement and/or the actual owner of the content and let them sort it.

If you don't have such evidence, acting as if you did can be considered harassment and earn you an account suspension.

Gunner Grun wrote:

What this thread is about is if he could he would file the DMAC on his own without even knowing where the model came from or who the creator was. If he could.

Nope. He was asking for info about it, suggesting that he wants to take the correct and informed course of action.

What did he say that made you think anything else? My guess is that you're just tired of seeing this kind of thread -- My suggestion is just avoid them if that's the case.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3913 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.