Sign in to follow this  
sodasullivan

Getting a good measurement for SL within Blender

Goodsomeone tell if or how to measure an object in Blender so that i can make it a certian size for SL? Example: Perhaps I want a 4meter X 1meter couch in Second Life. Is there someway i can get a good measurment in Blender as I build to create something that will be that size without have to be strethced very much?

Select the Scene button in the properties panel (usually on the right) next to the camera. In there, under "Units" is a set of buttons "None",  "Metric" and "Imperial". If you activate "Metric" you will see the Blender measurements labelled "m" for metre, "cm" for centimeter, etc. I think the default, when you have "None" selected, is that 1 Blender unit = 1 meter as far as the collada exporter is concerned (Collada has to have the units). If you scale the scene (below the buttons) the Blender (None) units stay the same, but the Metric m,esaurements scale. I don't know if this scaling gets into the exported collada. You can also scale the model in the last tab of the upload dialog.

To add on to that, Set it to metric = .1 scale will be the exact scale of SL and it does get attached to your DAE but you can also resize in the uploade if needed.

Hi  :)

Just to add , in Mesh display  check Edge Length then when you select an edge in Edit mode  it will indicate its length.

edge_length.png

• Like 1

In addition to the suggestions like switching your units to metric etc, it can also be a help to get an avatar model into your scene. This often helps estimate certain measurements / sizes of objects seen in relation to it.

(just don't forget to remove the avatar model from the scene again / or make sure you have the 'selected only' option on for the export to DAE)

The avatarfiles you can download here : http://static-secondlife-om.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/avatar/avatar_mesh.zip

(or here : http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Clothing_Tutorials > Second Life avatar meshes )

Something I had never noticed before is the Ruler/Protractor at the bottom of the Tool Panel . It uses Ctrl + Drag to snap to and works in both Edit and Object mode, but I don't seem to be able to get it to snap very precisely , (need more practice )

Blender_ruler.png

for details

Wow...these are all great suggestions, and relatively simple. I just was not looking hard enough through the preferences I think. I am on 2.67 btw. 

I came across this tutorial that walks you thru setting up your workspace in Blender so it best matches with Sl measurments and hope it is useful to you and all who read this post  Setting Up Your Workspace I used to make a seperate workspace just for when I do builds for SL in Blender hope it helps 

• Like 1

I've been temporarily grapping a vertex to another vertex (with snap to nearest vertex) and looking at the results in the bottom left.  But others have posted much better options here.

This may be a VERY simplistic answer *wink* but you can set the sizes when in Object mode over in the side panel. I actually never do this but needed to today to match something made in Agni to my test in Aditi :D

This is such an easy answer I can't believe it is what you are looking for -- but just in case.  I didn't know about the length measurements so that was a handy tip. I seldom do anything that needs to be exact, but now and then ----

dimension.jpg