Negative Review Buyer Didn't read Description

donni67 Cyberstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I received 2 negative reviews by a buyer because he/she failed to read the description of the item before buying.  Said person bought two pictures of classic cars that I have on Market Place.  Said person ASSUMED that they were buying an actual car since they collect and drive them. I then received a notecard inworld asking for a refund of their Lindens, when it states in my shop information that there are no refunds.  I gave the person back their Lindens even though I felt it was their fault for the mistake not mine but I really did not want to deal with a "whiny" customer.   So I guess what I want to know is did I do the right thing and take a loss or should I have kept the money and mute them if they became a bother?

Donni<3

I never said it was my work.  I guess what I am trying to get at is this person did it twice.  I try to be fair.  I lost not just the 20L he paid but there is the commission too.  Maybe to some that might not be much but for some that could be the difference in making a profit for the month to being in the red. 

donni67 Cyberstar wrote:

I never said it was my work.

that could be the difference in making a profit for the month to being in the red. 

Because profiting off of other peoples' work is okay.

My point: This isn't money that you deserved in the first place - someone who had been looking to buy an original print in SLM would've been sold something that didn't fit the description either, because you don't own the rights to the images you are selling.

De-list any products you don't have the intellectual property or distribution rights of, andchalk this event up as a cheap and easy life-lesson.

Without considering the images' copyright issue, no, you didn't do the right thing. The items have at least two explicit signals and a third, in and on itself rather obvious thing, making clear that they're pictures and not actual, 3D cars, so it's entirely the buyer's fault. Now, you might think that refunding him the 10 L$ saves you from the whining... but it doesn't, because I just checked your items and the whining, plus the low rating, is still there. So the buyer has your product (however useless to him) plus his 10 L$, and you have a visible whining at your MP store. I wouldn't say that's a fair transaction.

donni67 Cyberstar wrote:

I received 2 negative reviews by a buyer because he/she failed to read the description of the item before buying.  Said person bought two pictures of classic cars that I have on Market Place.  Said person ASSUMED that they were buying an actual car since they collect and drive them. I then received a notecard inworld asking for a refund of their Lindens, when it states in my shop information that there are no refunds.  I gave the person back their Lindens even though I felt it was their fault for the mistake not mine but I really did not want to deal with a "whiny" customer.   So I guess what I want to know is did I do the right thing and take a loss or should I have kept the money and mute them if they became a bother?

Donni<3

Well...the bottom line is that you have to be able to look yourself in the mirror when it's all over. Technically, it's the buyer's fault since he failed to read the description...you didn't have to give the money back. He could have threatened up down and sideways to report you and nothing would have happened.  So, you were a good guy in doing what you did. Is it the right thing? That's up to you.

As I stated above, even if the user who bought from you had wanted to buy an 'original print of a car', they wouldn't have gotten what they wanted by buying your product. They would have recieved stolen content pretending to be an original print of a car. You were selling fraudulent items to begin with - a refund would always have been the right thing to do, because you didn't deserve to keep the money from the sale.

I'm glad you're learning from this though. Good luck with your future business.

I say: Let them feel their mistake. If they are not able or to lazy to pay attention = their fault, their problem and not your responsibility. I would say explain that its not your problem, if they make a wild guess on what they are buying and if the continue to rant = mute.

Since the copyright issues are already established, I'll just add that you should always either stick to your guns ore change them universally.

Don't put up a "no refunds" sign and then make an exception for one customer. Ever. You just create more complications for yourself that way. Like it was said earlier, you bending your own rules for the one customer wasn't rewarded by say, leaving a positive follow-up review, so you came up short either way.

The only way some people will learn to read item descriptions is if there is some cost for not doing so.

My house listings all include a comprehensive list of exactly what is included. And following that list, in all caps, it says "NO FURNITURE IS INCLUDED". 

Yet every few weeks someone wants me to give them a house full of furniture (or a refund) because -- and some will say this -- "no one actually reads item descriptions". And why bother, if your mistakes don't cost you? 

As someone who has bought merchandise with out reading the fine print.. I tend to skim a lot when I read, (bad habbit I know.) I never take it out on the Seller if when I go back and see they have stated it correctly. However I dont tend to complain. Only one time I did because honestly it was the sellers fault. I was nice about it to. He harrassed me for a year. Threatend me if I didnt remove it.. Yeah it was a hard year. So please dont be that seller that attacks people when they leave shoty reviews. Just makes you look worse.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

As someone who has bought merchandise with out reading the fine print.. I tend to skim a lot when I read, (bad habbit I know.) I never take it out on the Seller if when I go back and see they have stated it correctly. However I dont tend to complain. Only one time I did because honestly it was the sellers fault. I was nice about it to. He harrassed me for a year. Threatend me if I didnt remove it.. Yeah it was a hard year. So please dont be that seller that attacks people when they leave shoty reviews. Just makes you look worse.

probably the best thing to do if you think the review is unfair is in the explanation calmly and polite explain why the review is unfair. I know I tend to read those replies and if the seller calmly explained why the origonal review was wrong I'll tend to mentally side with the seller. If the seller sounds like an a whole I assume it's best  not to buy from them.

He left the review before I received the notecard asking for the refund.  Yes his fault for not reading and mine for giving in.  To me it's not about winning or losing, it's about doing the right thing. even when the customer is clearly wrong, the old adage still applies of "the customer is always right."  He can keep his 20L and I gained a whole new outlook to using and selling on MP.  Thanks for responses everyone, all were very insightful.

Donni<3

Pamela Galli wrote:

Yet every few weeks someone wants me to give them a house full of furniture (or a refund) because -- and
some will say this -- "no one actually reads item descriptions".
And why bother, if your mistakes don't cost you? 

*Bolding mine

/facepalms

donni67 Cyberstar wrote:

he wasn't looking for an original print he thought it was an actual car that he could drive around SL.  I clearly stated in the description that it was a print not a 3D car.

Donni <3

I think you missed the point of that comment. He may not have been looking for one, but others would, and will. Your entire ad was false. In my opinion that negates any transaction you think you're due, regardless of your policies and regardless of even laziness on the part of the buyer when it came to reading the ad(if you want to call it that). It was wrong before he even bought it. You did not do the "right" thing by giving him the money, imo. Not when the transaction should have never taken place to begin with.

That said, I'm a stickler for copyright, rules and regulations when it comes to selling goods you did not create yourself. So take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have no sympathy or empathy for people selling goods they shouldn't-even if they feel they've been royally screwed(not applicable here) Most just think I am an ass in that right.  I accept that.

You did the right thing!.We all get the person who can't read or maybe doesn't understand English all that well.  Unless you want to be some sort of rip-off artist (there are a few on the MP), the $$ really doesn't matter in the long run

And in the words of the Immortal Tom Hanks/Forrest Gump.................."Stupid does as Stupid is" ( I know it's backwards!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.