What the heck is going? The server is experiencing unexpected difficulties

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I create a new prim, add a new script, make a very simple change to it, save it, the script disappears and I get the message "Unable to upload <filepath and file name> due to the following reason: The server is experiencing difficulties." This has been going on now for over 6 hours. Also, when I modify an existing script within a prim, the script also disappears with no error message.

USUALLY relogging and/or switching regions a few times resolves this, in which case it's either a problem on your end or a network problem close to you.

Sometimes it's a problem affecting a lot of people on the grid, so likely a serverside problem or a network problem near LL's hosting systems.
In that case, save the script or notecard as a textfile to your PC instead and just wait a while, try again later.

Hmm...maybe that's why my textures are rebaking every few seconds.

Sorry, no. :smileysad: I'm not an expert but that sounds to me like you're having internet trubbels. I have it quite often as well and it's always happening when my internet is generally slower than usual, for example when my ISP has to reroute trafffic over secondary lines after a cable break or so.

Please go to speedtest.net and do a local test and one to Dallas/Tx, USA and see if you're getting the speed your provider promised you.

That you are seeing this as an ongoing problem suggests a problem on your end or with your ISP. To find out which, read this: Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (PDT) are server rollout days. Within a little over 24 hours every region server in SL is restarted. People either logoff or move from region to region. I suspect this makes for a higher demand on the backend systems. At least the Lindens advise against building, rezzing no-copy things, and transferring Lindens.

All the activity is compressed into 2 6+/- hour periods each morning. The Grid Status page gives the start time and follows up with an 'all clear' message. I don't know whether they base that 'all clear' on just being done with the updates or if they watch the system and annouce all clear when it stabalizes. 

Whatever the case, I avoid doing anything critical before about 2 PM on those days.

I have also seen a region simply not be able to handle script changes. I can move the the region adjacent and script editing works fine. You'll need to experiement to see if you can find the problem. The 'Troubleshoot' article will help you eliminate a bad connection to SL on yours, the ISP's, or Lindens' part. ...and a good Internet connection in general does not mean a good connection to SL.

Use a program like System Explorer (free) to watch what your viewer is doing with your computer. You will be able to see if it is leaking memory or loading up the CPU. High Page Faulting rates can indicate your computer has too little memory or that the viewer or some driver is consuming too much memory. In general viewer memory use is less than 2gb.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3936 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.