Firestorm not saving chat logs - help

Belinda Cifuentes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thanks to the suggestions by members who responded to a previous quesiton, I've since been able to successfully log in with the Firestorm 4.4.2 viewer. It has still crashed after logging in a few times but I've also had several sessions were I voluntarily logged out after an hour or two.

However, Firestorm doesn't seem to be saving my chat logs. In addition, the area in ''Preferences" --> "Network & Cache" --> Chat logs location: is greyed out (i.e. can't set the cursor into the box or type anything into it to name a file location).

The folder \AppData\Local\Firestorm\ does exist and I've already selected the "show hidden files" option.

Also, when I click the "privacy" tab (even before entering my password and logging into SL), I get what I can only describe as flashes and flickering like lightning across the privacy box when viewing the "general" tab before the program crashes. But a quick look at it shows the box under chat logs are all grayed out (meaning I can't mark or unmark them) except the one that says "show seconds in chat and log timestamps."

I also get that flashing when I try to view the tab "Chat" --> "Notifications".

Thank you.

UPDATED:

I have found the IM chat files under AppData--> Roaming --> Firestorm --> Belinda -->

But there is no file saving local chat, just the IMs between me and other users.

I can only assume maybe there's a preference I'm unable to save from the software interface because the program crashes when viewing the tabs "Chat" --> "Notifications" and "Privacy"--> "General".

Is there a way to instruct the software to save local chat by editing a file someplace?

UPDATED:

Thanks for responding, "Helper"

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, even viewing the "Privacy"--> "General" for more than a few seconds causes Firestorm to crash.

Also, the ''Save nearby chat logs on my computer (may cause lag)'' option is grayed out and the check box cannot be clicked on.

Same to with the box for the ''chat logs locations.'' It's grayed out and so are the three click boxed to the right: open, set reset.

Those problems occur whether just having loading Firestorm or after already connecting to SL.

3 answers to this question

To set a location for your chat logs, you can't just type into the field. You have to click Set and then navigate to the folder/directory where you want them saved to (Network & Cache tab).

To save local chat logs, make sure "Save nearby chat logs on my computer (may cause lag)" is checked on the Privacy/General tab.

You have to be logged in to change both.

Maybe there's a settings file that you can edit, but I don't know which one that would be.

Belinda --

It sounds like there's more to your problem than we will be able to figure out here.  I suggest taking either of of two routes:

1. Log on, probably from another computer at another location, and pose your problem in the in-world Firestorm support group, or

2.  File a JIRA report on the Firestorm JIRA.  Reference your threads here in Answers, where you have provided careful details.

I suspect that the second alternative will be less frustrating and more successful, although it may take more time.  The in-world support staff are going to have their hands full with users who are confused about the SSA rollout, and they may not be able to give a complicated question like yours adequate attention in that chaotic environment. 

Belinda,

It sounds like you are using a "Restricted" user account on either a Vista or Windows 7/8 PC. Is this a possibility? If yes, get on the administrative account for your PC and modify the Belinda account to "Administrative" as well. This is done from the Control Panel / User Accounts & Family Safety / User Accounts section.

Also you may have software installed interfering with your PC Virtualization capabilities. Look for any 3rd party software that claims to be tuning up your PC and uninstall it. If you don;t know where that software came from then get some scanning software like Spybot Search & Destroy to deep scan and repair your PC. Direct link provided below.

http://www.safer-networking.org/spybot2-own-mirror-1/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3938 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.