Opinion Poll about Hosting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 B/C. It's nice to feel welcome, but it doesn't have to feel like it's someones' job to welcome you, that makes it feel a bit strained, and insincere.

2 A. A personally typed "Hi judith" simply feels more sincere than <insert giggle sounds and wooshes> "~o0 XoXoX Hi Judith XoXoX 0o~" that I *KNOW* is for 90% automated. If you don't want to spend time on giving me some attention, than don't try to fool me into thinking you are.

3 B. They're a necessary evil, but practice restraint in their use.

4 B.

5 C.

6 D. Practice a lot of restraint, and invest into some kind of display for the schedule. Sending a notecard once a week in the group with the next weeks' schedule works too. But "announce" things too often, and it will start to feel like you're begging for attention or customers.

Overall, these are things you have to get a feel for as a host I think. I'm glad I'm not a host myself, but some simply annoy me to hell with their constant yells and shouts and group notices (I rarely stay in such groups for long), while I'm happy with others who seem to actually have a feel for their visitors. The former I mentally ignore within a few minutes, the latter I pay attention to every time they say something.

1.  I am Ok with NOT being welcomed, but it's nice when I am.  When I DJ I always try to welcome everybody as soon as they are in chat range.  I also run a chim, so I send everybody a chim invite as soon as I can, unless they are obviously a couple.

2. I hate gestures worse than almost anything.  I have a few that I made myself that are very low-key, short and offbeat, but I used them maybe 3 times a year.  The dreaded HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  gesture and incessant repeated annoying stock phrases about how the DJ ROCKS! will get you muted.

3.  All Caps:  HATE IT

4.  WOW words....see 2.

5.  Tips Shouts:  Have no impact on me whatsoever.  As a DJ, I generally tip other DJ's out of professional courtesy (though the amount may vary.)  If I don't like them at all, I won't tip, but nothing a host or anybody else says will change my mind one way or the other.  When I DJ I NEVER ask for tips.  I consider it crass.

6.  Notices - I admit I usualy don't read them, except from DJs I know.  I also try to make mine clever and fun, and give as much information as possible.  I think mine are worth reading, and sometimes a clever one will catch my eye, and I appreciate it when that happens.

I don’t know if there’s a big difference between theatres and clubs as I tend to go to the former and not the later.  But both have greeters and I assume the MC is the equivalent of the DJ to a large extent.  The thing I notice from the posts here is a big difference in preferences between people who’ve been going to clubs for years, and are possibly already loyal to one or more venues, and what an owner or host might be view as their main priority – which is creating loyalty in people who are visiting for the first or second time.  I would think that to a large extent the host’s job is towards the new people first and the regulars second.  But in both case it involves ‘leading by example’.  In a venue where people are greeted and chatted to, a friendly welcoming inclusive culture is more likely to develop among the regulars, I think. 

I completely agree with Aethelwine and Dillon about the Atomic Palace.  A simple, effective greeting and involving routine = happy, chatty, participating returning punters.  And Naz plays such eclectic and wonderful tunes you can’t help but get addicted. 

And I expect it’s entirely true what Czari Zenovka said about their club: “we became popular very quickly with loyal patrons is because the Cigar Girls, Bartenders, Managers/Hosts, and Owners greeted each person "personally" ie. not using scripted greetings”.  I went to The Prohibition last week for the first time (I believe it’s pretty new).  I was not only welcomed personally by the host and DJ, I was introduced to the other people there like an old friend and valued guest.  I thought that was wonderful!  I signed up for their group in a flash. 

Completely agree with everything Sweetkiss Vyper said about the importance of being the ‘host of the party’ and also of being there to support the DJ/MC.  I think it’s often underappreciated just how much hard work it is to be a good host/DJ/MC.  Its solid concentration and you can’t afford slip ups.  “Host puts on a part vips will see and come back… (they) need to know how to have fun and create fun.  Bring up themes or just plain simple be funny” – yeah, that’s hard work and it deserves appreciation!

I think everything that needs to be said about gestures, capital letters and wow words has been said.  I will just add that sound gestures are the absolute worst thing for performers working in Voice.  Unlike people talking through the stream, sound gestures will drown out the end of a story or the punchline to a joke in Voice.  Bad news for everyone.

Re notices – yes.  Agree with the people who say they need to be informative, original and tailored to the show rather than generic, for all the same reasons as the personalised greetings are so important – to interest and retain new and irregular customers. 

Regarding tipping.  Again, I don’t know what it’s like in most clubs, but I’m all for pushing it in theatres.  Not only have the acts spent HOURS creating a single routine, the set and all the props, and writing the emotes, they paid for all the dance animations and tend to use new ones each time.  So making back what they put in is just one aspect, let alone getting paid for their impressive talents.  Comedy acts and skits also take time, rehearsal and outlay for props.  Personally, I think a good MC should build in a reminder about tipping (and what the tip is actually going towards) for every single act.  And the backstage crew should be included too.  I think it does no harm at all to let the audience know how much blood sweat and tears went into bringing this entertainment to life.  And that adds to the experience, in my opinion.  Like those ‘making of’ documentaries that are so darn popular on TV  :-)

I hope there’s some useful comments in there.  My two penn’o’worth anyway  :-)

Now that this thread has been running for a while I should add my own opinion, lol. Almost forgot adding that.

[1] WELCOME MESSAGE - When you enter a club the host should welcome you...
a) at once! The see my name pop up on radar and should show me they watch for new arrivals (also means you are often greeted by your original SL name as the one you chose later isn't shown on most radars).
b) when I come into view, closer to the stage.
c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice.
d) think DILLIGAF (do I look like a give a f...)

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures!
b) Some gestures are OK but I'm bored seeing the same gestures all the time and everywhere.
c) Some gestures are OK and I don't mind if the same ones recur.
d) I love gestures, can't get enough of it!

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read.
b) I hate it in chat but it makes notices more readable.
c) For general announcements everyone in the club should see they are ok. But not for normal talk.
d) I don't wanna miss anything the host is saying and caps are really helpful.

[4] WOW WORDS (e.g. wow, omg, sexy, awesome)
a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat!
b) Hey, sometimes it's just true, no need to hide that. But don't overuse it!
c) It totally energizes me when hosts do mood upping shouts!

[5] TIP SHOUTS (hosts asking patrons to tip the DJ, DJ's asking on mic to tip the host)
a) If a DJ/host is good they'll get tipped. No need to beg for it.
b) Once in an hour is ok. Sometimes you get lost in talk but actually wanted to tip.
c) Once every 30 minutes is ok. It doesn't hurt to friendly remind people that someone is working for their entertainment.
d) People should be reminded often that there are people on stage doing a show.

[6] NOTICES
a) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably in caps.
b) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably WITHOUT caps.
c) Most of them look all the same, I want a more creative touch so it's actually fun reading them.
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them.

Results so far... tell your friends to participate so this poll gains more weight :)

[1] - 23 votes overall - 43% of partons expect the respect of a more or less timely greeting. 57% either don't mind at all or look at it as a nice but not altogether necessary thing.
a)  3 = 13%
b)  7 = 30%
c)  8 = 35%
d)  5 = 22%

[2] - 23 votes overall - 96% of patrons hate gestures or are bored seeing the same gestures over and over everywhere. 4% don't mind gestures of any kind and 0% are crazy about them.
a) 11 = 48%
b) 11 = 48%
c)   1 = 4%
d)  0 = 0%

[3] - 23 votes overall - 61% hate CAPS completely, 13% only like them in notices but not in chat, 26% think they're ok in general announcements but not in conversations, 0% think caps are helpful so they miss nothing the host says.
a) 14 = 61%
b)   3 = 13%
c)   6 = 26%
d)   0 = 0%

[4] - 22 votes overall -  73% think words like OMG, OMFG, AWESOME, SEXY etc. are boring and/or annoying. 27% think it's ok when it's not just a phrase. 0% think they help upping the mood.
a) 16 = 73%
b)   6 = 27%
c)   0 = 0%

[5] - 22 votes overall - 45% think asking for tips is begging. 32% say once an hour is ok. 23% say every 30 minutes is ok. 0% think it should be said often.
a) 10 = 45%
b)   7 = 32%
c)   5 = 23%
d)   0 = 0%

[6] - 20 votes overall - Notices: 10% prefer a quick overview with caps, 20% without caps. 25% want something unique and creative so its fun/interesting to read. 45% just ignore them and check with their favorite DJ/host for their times.
a)   2 = 10%
b)   4 = 20%
c)   5 = 25%
d)   9 = 45%

I repeat: Ask your friends to participate and when you run a club send a notice to the VIP group so we can make this a poll that really has some weight. Maybe we can change the clubbing experience at many places for real :)

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

<snip>

Maybe we can change the clubbing experience at many places for real
:)

</snip>

Why?

First off, people can vote with their TP button.

Second, what about those people who do enjoy the things the majority don't like?

Maybe some people LOVE gesturbating.

Their World, Their Imagination.

Are you advocating depriving them of this?

ETA, while you did not say this, my impression was you were trying to arrive at 'best practices' for YOUR CLUB, not for what other people do.  I didn't realise you had an aggenda here.

1-B  Give them time to rezz and get into the club.  Then greet. 
2-B  short gestures are good, long ones people tend to ignore and not read anyway, waist of space in chat.
3-B  Chat should be the same as everyone else, notices can go either way, but why not just normal. I dont see the point.
4-A  Say good things about the DJ and host, but same thing over and over has no real meaning to it and its ingored.
5-C  No one likes to be presured to Tip over and over again.  Adv stay in a club is 27 mins in most cases, Once every 30 mins is sufficent.
6-B  Most have notices turned off, so keep it short and simple for those that have them on, or they will turn them off.

These are my opinions as a club owner.  

[1] WELCOME MESSAGE - When you enter a club the host should welcome you...
a) at once! The see my name pop up on radar and should show me they watch for new arrivals (also means you are often greeted by your original SL name as the one you chose later isn't shown on most radars).
b) when I come into view, closer to the stage.
c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice.
d) think DILLIGAF (do I look like a give a f...)

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures!
b) Some gestures are OK but I'm bored seeing the same gestures all the time and everywhere.
c) Some gestures are OK and I don't mind if the same ones recur.
d) I love gestures, can't get enough of it!

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read.
b) I hate it in chat but it makes notices more readable.
c) For general announcements everyone in the club should see they are ok. But not for normal talk.
d) I don't wanna miss anything the host is saying and caps are really helpful.

[4] WOW WORDS (e.g. wow, omg, sexy, awesome)
a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat!
b) Hey, sometimes it's just true, no need to hide that. But don't overuse it!
c) It totally energizes me when hosts do mood upping shouts!

[5] TIP SHOUTS (hosts asking patrons to tip the DJ, DJ's asking on mic to tip the host)
a) If a DJ/host is good they'll get tipped. No need to beg for it.
b) Once in an hour is ok. Sometimes you get lost in talk but actually wanted to tip.
c) Once every 30 minutes is ok. It doesn't hurt to friendly remind people that someone is working for their entertainment.
d) People should be reminded often that there are people on stage doing a show.

[6] NOTICES
a) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably in caps.
b) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably WITHOUT caps.
c) Most of them look all the same, I want a more creative touch so it's actually fun reading them.
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them.

Why?

Second, what about those people who do enjoy the things the majority don't like?

ETA, while you did not say this, my impression was you were trying to arrive at 'best practices' for YOUR CLUB, not for what other people do.  I didn't realise you had an aggenda here.

Always the critic but just like in my other thread I value that :).

I started this because I wanna see what people think and of course I am also very curious where I stand with my opinion. Of course it's very helpful for my own club, too, no need to deny that. If you wanna call that an agenda I don't have a problem with it as it doesn't mislead anyone.

About advocating: Imagine more clubs would follow the majority of opinions of this poll. That would open a niche that clubs can go for and gather a more specialized following where everyone is happy to have found exactly what they were looking for. So this would rather help building a focus, not depriving anyone of what they love.

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

Why?

Always the critic but just like in my other thread I value that
:)

Sometimes that is my speciality.  ;)

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

I started this because I wanna see what people think and of course I am also very curious where I stand with my opinion. Of course it's very helpful for my own club, too, no need to deny that. If you wanna call that an agenda I don't have a problem with it as it doesn't mislead anyone.

I never referred to your curiosity or desire to see how you wanted your club to function as an "agenda," nor would I really consider it such.

However, in th epost that I quoted, you did state,

"Maybe we can change the clubbing experience at many places for real."

Now that IS an agenda.

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

About advocating: Imagine more clubs would follow the majority of opinions of this poll. That would open a niche that clubs can go for and gather a more specialized following where everyone is happy to have found exactly what they were looking for.

Clubs that allow or encourage things like gesturbating, 'begging' for tips, etc, etc, are appealing to a niche, a specialized following.  They are appealing to the people who like those things.  Personally I don't, so I don't frequent those clubs.  But I have no problem finding the clubs that meet my needs.  So your point there is kind of moot.

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

Well yes, if I was setting up a Club or was thinking about how to make my Club more successful, this all would be good information to have.

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

Here I am slightly confused because with this statement, "Maybe we can change the clubbing experience at many places for real," it sure sounded to me like you were advocating for Clubs to change, the net effect being that some people could be deprived of "what they love."

On a final note in this post, one thing I find remarkable is that some of the most popular clubs I have seen in SL excel at the things that the majority of respondents to your survey so far dislike.

There is plenty of everything for everyone in SL.

Say hello when I arrive or do you have better things to do :)

Gestures annoy when used over and over.

I think it hilarious when I am asked to tip dancers who work soooo hard.lol what exactly is the hard work..jumping on a pole?

I tip without being asked/begged when I like the club/ dj ect.. not because you aske me to

About notices (SPAM)

I deleted many groups for being a pest with notices...several a day..there must be an amount possible that dont drive me mad :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.