Opinion Poll about Hosting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A while ago I started a discussion about what hosts should and shouldn't do. That turned into a very interesting thread about clubs and club staff in general and can be read here: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Hosts-in-SL-rock-clubs/m-p/2044747/highlight/true#M111292

At my main club I am currently talking to a few people on staff about hosting. I also started hosting myself so no one can say I have never been there as I usually am a DJ ;). Some opinions we share, some we don't, and I have to admit that both sides base their views not always on the right amount of feedback and not always on feedback from the right people.
Sooo I thought, let's do a poll and get as many opinions as possible :)

If you are a host, please, don't answer from your host point of view (things you've been advised to do by management, things you think the crowd likes) but solely from your personal view as a patron in a club enjoying the show.

[1] WELCOME MESSAGE - When you enter a club the host should welcome you...
a) at once! The see my name pop up on radar and should show me they watch for new arrivals (also means you are often greeted by your original SL name as the one you chose later isn't shown on most radars).
b) when I come into view, closer to the stage.
c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice.
d) think DILLIGAF (do I look like a give a f...)

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures!
b) Some gestures are OK but I'm bored seeing the same gestures all the time and everywhere.
c) Some gestures are OK and I don't mind if the same ones recur.
d) I love gestures, can't get enough of it!

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read.
b) I hate it in chat but it makes notices more readable.
c) For general announcements everyone in the club should see they are ok. But not for normal talk.
d) I don't wanna miss anything the host is saying and caps are really helpful.

[4] WOW WORDS (e.g. wow, omg, sexy, awesome)
a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat!
b) Hey, sometimes it's just true, no need to hide that. But don't overuse it!
c) It totally energizes me when hosts do mood upping shouts!

[5] TIP SHOUTS (hosts asking patrons to tip the DJ, DJ's asking on mic to tip the host)
a) If a DJ/host is good they'll get tipped. No need to beg for it.
b) Once in an hour is ok. Sometimes you get lost in talk but actually wanted to tip.
c) Once every 30 minutes is ok. It doesn't hurt to friendly remind people that someone is working for their entertainment.
d) People should be reminded often that there are people on stage doing a show.

[6] NOTICES
a) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably in caps.
b) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably WITHOUT caps.
c) Most of them look all the same, I want a more creative touch so it's actually fun reading them.
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them.

If you have a completely different answer from the ones given, feel free to add it :) I'm looking forward to get a real feel for what you all want and like and discussing it with fellow staff members at my main club!

As someone who's been visiting/working at clubs for.. 12 years in RL, and nearly 7 in SL (along with hosting experience of my own, but not recently). I should add though, that I don't just Search for 'Club' and hit TP, I hang out at places that I know to be easy-going and fun, with a consistantly awesome (and hilarious) crowd or two.

1. A, but they need to use the user's actual display name, the name they prefer to be called. Legacy name isn't good enough, display names have been here for years now. Also, saying 'Hi and welcome' from a canned response isn't good enough, the host should be working to integrate newcomers into any conversation or otherwise helping them 'settle'.

2. A, although I actually quite like gestures and use them often (and love listening to them), the club scene in SL has been recycling the same ones forever, most aren't even so compatible with the Viewer 2 chat system. The annoying ones are easily filtered, it doesn't make any significant difference to my time at a club.

3. A, If you're using capital letters all the time, then you're doin' it wrong. All caps in notices? Nope, Leave Group.

4. B, although really I don't worry much about this point. It's nice that they're trying to sound enthusiastic, but since this never transfers over to the crowd, it doesn't matter. I filter it out.

5. A, Doesn't bother me really, I filter out this kind of thing. I'll tip if I appreciate peoples' work, but begging won't improve their odds.

6. D, I don't read club notices, in fact I don't really read notices at all since some of the recent Viewer changes. They just sit invisibly at the top there until I clear them. If it's about events that are going on soon/right now or just normal every day stuff I usually profile those kinds of notices as spam and disregard. For immediate stuff, I'd probably prefer a group IM, since no-one's going to log in especially for a generic club event anyway, and once the event's passed it just becomes more junk that I have to clear from my notices bar.

On the whole I find the majority of these things to only add more frustration to what should be a fun and interesting time. This whole 'consistant experience' thing sucks, all the clubs in SL seemingly regurgitating the same processes and styles, removing the personality and supplanting it with amateur traffic-farming. I party frequently in clubs and around SL, but not at places using the same old, tired tricks that people were struggling to turn into a party atmosphere in 2007.

Good luck with this research, I sure hope it leads to something more interesting.

I have to admit that I don't normally go to clubs..I find them annoying and laggy and cliquish. But...when I do go, here would be the answers to your questions....

1) WELCOME MESSAGE  d)  think DILLIGAF (do I look like a give a f...) - I find them rather annoying and I don't think people care about them

2) GESTURES - a)  I hate gestures! Another annoying factor of clubbing. Also, slows things down for me and if I'm not part of "the group" they are meaningless...

3) CAPITAL LETTERS a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read. CAN I EXPRESS THIS ANY MORE CLEARLY!! PLEASE...TELL ME IF MY POINT ISN'T GETTING ACROSS TO YOU....HUH???

4) WOW WORDS a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat! OMG...if I see one more wow word I'm going to ROTFLMAO.....(then get a machete!!)

5) TIP SHOUTS a) If a DJ/host is good they'll get tipped. No need to beg for it. I don't usually tip a DJ or host at a club (mostly because I turn off my speakers when I go) And I only tip the dancers if they involve themselves in good conversation..more so  than just endless slexual emotes...which is another thing that gets on my nerves...

6) NOTICES (honestly, have no idea because I don't care. I don't club that often and if I do, I don't care who the DJ is. I think the only time that's necessary at all is if a friend is DJing and you'd want to see them)

Ok..I hope that helps. As I said, I have my own issues with clubs...to repeat, I find the people there very cliquish, there is incredble lag, endless stupid chatter (not just from the DJ/host/dancers but from the patrons as well) and G-d forbid, you try to carry on a conversation in open chat or even IM with anyone..

But, good luck with your club...

I have been hosting for close to  5 years and also have ran two clubs fo owner for pass  4 years or more..

1, I make gestures. most to infor people on what is going on in the club raffle so on

2. gesture are fun with in reason

3. host  are there  to be the host of the party which means they need to know how to read there Djs .. like if a DJ gets quiet in local then they should have there Dj in IM and ask are you busy with request, so then a host job is to keep chat going in local , be funny , ask vips how they are and things always pop up in local you can keep chat going ,and also need to make sure to be able to see if dj is having tech issue and they need to also keep the room busy 

4. Caps for host can or cannot be used. I may at times use them but really it up to the host.  most place I find want host to use caps.. and really that is a small thing so no one should get to upset over  caps. . hit the big stuff that is a small issue\

5. I love themes more then contest.. so hey if you can do themes with there djs brings out more fun for them

6 HOst need to  be able to work with radio  and this really shows if they can host..  if they can keep people in a room with out a Dj well that shows a lot  and also  able to host with  1 vip  to more.. 

7. Host  puts on a part vips will see and come back.. it is work  but hey  all pays off

8 Greeting is a big thing . and you never ever use  welcome **bleep** to greet anyone or honey or anything  that will tick off a partner or jsut sound rude..  

9. big issue to turn vips off the momma and daddy thing omg the complaint I have gotten  . it is ok with in limits also play fighting  have to watch can be made to be like drama and vips hate that

10  Host need to  know how to have fun and creat fun. .bring up themes or just plan simple be funny

You have to work on stuff see what works.. if you dont your sets wil show  by no vips or less showing up but if you can  fix that and watch vips wil start to show up just to see the host at times  due to the fun..

a) at once! The see my name pop up on radar and should show me they watch for new arrivals (also means you are often greeted by your original SL name as the one you chose later isn't shown on most radars).
c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice.

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures!
b) Some gestures are OK but I'm bored seeing the same gestures all the time and everywhere.

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read.
c) For general announcements everyone in the club should see they are ok. But not for normal talk.

a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat!

[5] TIP SHOUTS (hosts asking patrons to tip the DJ, DJ's asking on mic to tip the host)
b) Once in an hour is ok. Sometimes you get lost in talk but actually wanted to tip.
c) Once every 30 minutes is ok. It doesn't hurt to friendly remind people that someone is working for their entertainment.

[6] NOTICES
b) I prefer a quick overview (DJ, Host, When, Where, What), preferably WITHOUT caps.
c) Most of them look all the same, I want a more creative touch so it's actually fun reading them.
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them.

If you send me more than 1 notice a night I am out of the group faster than you, Vaughan, can say WOW **<3**.

1 - A

2 - A  (only on rare occasions.......and they need to be unique to something very specific)

3 - A

4 - A

5 - C (that would be the maximum, and they should not sound like begging)

6 - D (with 42 groups I've essentially turned all messages off.  I check for what is going on at my convenience)

Caveat: Until much much recently, I haven't gone to that many clubs on SL unless I DJ'd there....and I don''t particularly find hosts or Dancers necessary if the DJ is half competent at multi-tasking. With that said...here are my answers...

b) when I come into view, closer to the stage. - as long as it's not a scripted hello

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures!

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS

a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat! - and please, if a damn song sucks, please don't lie about it being an awesome song as well >.<

[6] NOTICES

*And I would prefer it not be the same canned response given to all patrons.  I was a "Cigar Girl" in a vintage 40's club when I first began SL and I believe one of the reasons we became popular very quickly with loyal patrons is because the Cigar Girls, Bartenders, Managers/Hosts, and Owners greeted each person "personally" ie. not using scripted greetings.  We were a medium-size club so I realized this may not be possible for very large clubs but anything is better than being greeted the same way as every other avatar that shows up right after me, especially if it's something like, "Welcome to <Club Name>, Czari.  You look lovely in that dress" and then hear that over and over and over....

[2] GESTURES

a) I hate gestures!

The first "Hoo" I see - I'm gone and never return.  I frequent ballrooms and jazz clubs with formal attire rules, thus don't want to feel like I've entered the neighborhood rowdy bar.

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS

*And only for very special announcements

*I'm not a teenager and, again, in the type of dance venues I prefer, this would not be appropriate.  I particularly loathe "smexy."  Who came up with that non-word?

*Back to the club I used to work at - patrons were never asked to tip anyone...ever...yet I did receive tips.

[6] NOTICES

*I'm not a member of many (trying to think if I am of any atm) clubs, but when I am I generally have "Receive Notices" turned off.  I will check events if I'm interested.

I'm going to add one thing that isn't on your list and it is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Landmark Givers/Group Inviters/Club Rule Givers/Ad Nauseum!

There is nothing I hate like being hit with these the moment  I arrive. 

Put a damn timer in them.  Allow me a chance to rez, get positioned, maybe find my date, etc, before sending.  And use a consolidated HUD that allows me to access individually the options.  Not umpteen different HUDS I have to close one at a time.

1.  Probaby A but b is fine too.

2. I prefer my hosts not use them unless they are short.  

3.  It just seems rude if a host only uses's capital letters. 

4.   I rarely ever see this.  All my hosts are spontanious. 

5. Where is the every 40 minutes or so slection?  I suppose once an hour is ok.

6. Definately C.   I had a host who wrote a story line over weeks in hers.  Others I have are always creative. 

c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice. (always nice to get a hey how are you but no need for it to be impersonal or pushy

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures! ( I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE GESTURES! They are loud spam my view area. They used to scare the crap out of me as a noob so much so if I saw a club with them zip I was gone.)

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read. (I can't see a world in which SHOUTING AT ME MAKES THE NNOTICE MORE UNDERSTANDABLE!)

a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat! (WOW come see this super sexy host and super hot strippers and super awesome dj in club 5000 and 1 so diffrent from allt he others I'm sure! I really just want to know what kind of music the dj plays. Nice would be a NC with the general playlist? I'm sure your dj's awesome but really come on now.)

c) Once every 30 minutes is ok. It doesn't hurt to friendly remind people that someone is working for their entertainment.( I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for tips. While being to beggy does make your poor patrons feel bad asking isn't a crime as I know your doing a job and would like to be paid something in return.)

[6] NOTICES
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them. (honestly if a friend is hosting DJing is the only time I care who DJs and usually I know about it because they've told me so that info is pointless. I just wanna know when where theme and type of music being played. like I said earlier a NC with a general playlist might be a nice touch.)

Here is my answers based on my expieience and training as a Host.

[1] WELCOME MESSAGE - 

[2] GESTURESbased 

(When hosting I use a combanation of Gesters and personal emots.

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS

b) Hey, sometimes it's just true, no need to hide that. But don't over use it.

[6] NOTICES
(When sending a notice I usualy capitalise the headline and come up with something creative to get peoples attention. Give it a personal touch. and people are more likely to read it.

c c a b b b

It does depend a bit on the club. My favourite atomic palace has no hosts just good fun people talking nonsense and having a fun time. It is like visiting good friends with good tunes. But that is exceptional. For most clubs people go for the tunes while they browse the internet, deal with private chats or other stuff. If something interesting is going on in local chat then that is a plus. Gestutes can be fun and fill in some quiet moments. But please hosts don't overdo it. I see hosts gesturbating all over peoples chat a making any public conversation impossible. Hosts like that are less than useless and actually make club experience worse than if they said nothing.

c) don't mind if they don't say "hi" all that soon but at some point it'd be nice. I'll also add that it needs to be personal, not an emote or gesture, not from a scripted object. No canned responses, at all.

[2] GESTURES
a) I hate gestures! I absolutely cannot, and will not stand ANY gestures. I will leave if a club even allows patrons to abuse them. Most who use them, abuse them, imo. They'll say "oh we don't use them much", I say bs, lol. People really do use the stupid things way too much.

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS
a) Oh my god, stop the shouting! It's totally impersonal and I don't read that stuff. Also makes notices harder to read. I hate when people do this. Even "important" messages in a club aren't that damn important. I would have checked option c, but then it's left to interpretation. Some club owners and hosts thing the canned gestures they use are important messages, and the begging for tips, and crap.

a) I'm so damn bored by it... is really every DJ awesome and every host sexy? Be more creative in notices and chat! Idiotic when used by patrons constantly, worse when used by staff. Aside from that it makes them all sound immature, with extremely limited vocabularies. Doesn't speak volumes about the kinds of people you hire when you not only allow but even worse encourage them to use canned gestures.

a) If a DJ/host is good they'll get tipped. No need to beg for it. I've worked as a dj, host and dancer. We never needed to beg for tips. I've worked in different venues and ANYTIME I worked somewhere that had their hosts beg for tips I'd either refuse to work with those people, or choose not to work at that venue. I happen to believe  venue owners should pay their staff so tips won't be seen as a paycheck but rather an actual thank you for the job they've performed. Most good venues, even those that may not necessarily profit, can pay their staff. A venue owner who can't, probably won't be around too long and very well may be in over their head. They may have to actually research and get creative when it comes ot bringing in profit so they can pay their staff.

[6] NOTICES
d) I usually ignore them because they don't say anything of interest to me. When I wanna know when a specific person hosts or DJs I ask them. Don't read 'em, don't even turn them on for 99% of my groups. I know how to find notices if I wanna read 'em.

1. c

2. a use of gestures is why I leave a club and never go back.

3. a. All caps is much harder to read and makes you look like a twit.

4. a. But not so creative you have to use unicode sparkles, please.

5. b. Just once, near the end of the event.

6. b.

Vaughn Highwater wrote:

E. Never , I have yet to walk into a club and have them welcome me :matte-motes-evil:

[2] GESTURES

a) I hate gestures!

E. Gestures are too cartoonish. Don't hate anything but do strongly dislike
;)

[3] CAPITAL LETTERS

E: If you mean all caps; attention ho's, otherwise capital letters have their place.

D: No one needs to tell me how wow I am :matte-motes-agape:

A

[6] NOTICES

E. I delete all notices as soon as they appear on my screen; hindering my SL experience.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.