Building question concerning placing a texture on a prim

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there smart SLers.  I have a rather easy question for the builders out there. Tho I do not know the answer that is why I am here.

I want to uploada line of text via an image into SL.  Example:  "Drop Me a Note"     I want to make just the line of text in photoshop with a transparent background.

Is it possible to create a flat transparant box with the visible line of text across it?  I know how to create prims and make them transparant but I'm thinking it would hide my text picture (texture) that I put on it?

What I'm trying to do is basically throw some text on a wall. Keeping the wall the same color/texture, just having a line of text on it in a specific spot.

Hope you understand what I'm asking

2 answers to this question

You have exactly the right idea.  The steps you take are

1.  Create a new texture in your favorite graphics program (Photoshop, GIMP, Paintshop Pro ...).  I prefer creating TGA textures, so my basic steps would be:

• Make the texture 256 x 256 (or maybe 512 x 256).
  • Make a new layer that has only your text on it.
  • Select the new text and save it to create an alpha channel image.
  • Select the background layer and fill it with the same color that you used for your text.
  • Save the image as TGA, 32-bits.
  • Those steps will give you a texture file with your words on a transparent background and without an ugly white outline (that's why you fill the background layer).

2. Upload the file to SL.  For testing purposes, you can upload it as a temporary file to be sure that you made it correctly, thus saving the L$10 upload fee until you are sure.

3.  Rez a cube and stretch it to appropriate dimensions to place on your wall.

4.  Make the entire cube transparent. (Apply a transparent texture with your editor.)

5.  Highlight transparent (CTRL + Alt + T) so you can see what you are doing.

6.  Drag/drop the new uploaded texture to the front face of your transparent cube. It will show up there and nowhere else.  All other faces will remain transparent.

7. Position the cube on your wall.

8. Smile.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.