SL websites and adblocker +

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

since LL decided to add google ads in their websites, i decided on my side to use adblocker + for not being visually annoyed by these ugly symptoms our consumer society.

But since this morning, ive noticed that if i keep my adblock + activated on SL web pages, these ones turn on blank... i need to desactivate the add on and refresh the page for being able to see the page...

Is that smth new ?

So now, we are not even free to decide if we want to see or not these adds ?

Well, i may live with it... but i like to have some freedom of choice...

I'm also using adblock (sans the +) 2.2.4 and have no probs with any ads. Works like a charme with Firefox under Linux. I hear the makers of adblock+ are allowing certain ads to show up which kinda negates the initial reason for installing an adblocker in the first place.

Went to MP and all is normal, that is, pre-ad normal. Looks good to me.

Windows 7 64, Firefox 21.0, adblocker + [don't know version or how to tell].

The only reason I started to use ad blocker was because my screen was jumping around so much as the ads came up on MP, made it all so hard to read. LL forced me use ad block for the very first time and now I use it always.

I'm using Firefox and adblock and I got the same problem today. Hope I can fix this...(I'm currently using internet explorer, because I couldn't view this forum to see if anyone got the same problem).

Normaly I don't mind adds, but this forum made me install addblock, because the ads here are so annoying, I even feel like always interrupt my reading experiance.

Strange. I'm using Firefox and Ad Blocker + (2.2.4) and not seeing any odd behavior or anything unusual with the SL forums, main web page or Marketplace. I don't see the goofy ads nor am I seeing anything different with the formatting on those pages. I have no idea why some are having problems while others aren't.

A big raspberry to AB+ for taking Google's bribe, by the way.  :matte-motes-frown:

I use IE10's built-in ad-blocker having selected the recommended Easylist Standard from the list of options, which uses Adblock Plus and it's still working fine but I notice the selection list page is no longer available so perhaps Microsoft is doing something with it at the moment.

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Strange. I'm using Firefox and Ad Blocker + (2.2.4) and not seeing any odd behavior or anything unusual with the SL forums, main web page or Marketplace. I don't see the goofy ads nor am I seeing anything different with the formatting on those pages. I have no idea why some are having problems while others aren't.

A big raspberry to AB+ for taking Google's bribe, by the way.  :matte-motes-frown:

Same here on all counts.  Errrrrrrrrr...what is this about AB+ taking Google's bribe?

I have Chrome Version 27.0.1453.116 m   as my browser

and  "AdBlock+ Element Hiding Helper 1.1.9.18"

and LL pages seem fine to me, no ads what so ever,

mind you that's because i have used the helper to block some adverts on the whole secondlife.com domain

** edit for those that want more control over what gets through to their browser

I recommend  http://www.proxomitron.info/  **

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

Strange. I'm using Firefox and Ad Blocker + (2.2.4) and not seeing any odd behavior or anything unusual with the SL forums, main web page or Marketplace.

I cannot see any odd behaviour either.  I use:

• Firefox 22.0

• Adblock Plus 2.2.4

I cannot see ads anywhere on SL web pages (nor anywhere else either).

All SL web pages work perfectly without any issues at all.

:smileyhappy:

I think the people at LL should deactivate their addblock sometimes too...just saw a site I had never heart of advertising selling and buying L$, advertisement for other social platforms and last but not least: Advertisement for what looked like a sex game.

Most ad programs profile the individual user so in all likelihood the ads that you saw on your screen were what the ad program knows from your browsing history that you are particulary interested in.  This of course would not apply to the "people" of LL who may have other completely different browsing interests than your own particular interests that you've exhibited.

[ETA] I said "most" ad programs, I should have said all.

I think everybody who wants their peace and quiet should first and foremost install the DoNotTrackMe add-on. It's such a wonderful and enlightening tool. It places a little cookie symbol in your navigation toolbar and every time someone is tracking your activities the cookie explodes! :smileytongue: What a nifty little tool. And it's so rewarding to see all those uninvited sniffers go BOOM :matte-motes-evil: and POOF from your system. The first days are really hectic and funny, my cookie exploded all the time while it flushed a lot of those vampires from my system with a funny little 'sploding anim. You'll see a lot of more than shady advertising and spying companies you've never heard of and never invited to your house. But it doesn't matter since they all get a punch on their noses. Feeling like a real hacker and totally geekish right now. :matte-motes-nerdy:  Hey feckers, I'm claiming my hardware back! This is my computer, my data and my privacy, Not yours.

Also, slightly off topic, y'all should not walk but run away from Microsoft and Apple softwares and install a Linux OS on your computers. I just recently decided to not be a whimp anymore and don't even have Windows as dual boot option. I guess that alone saves me from a lot of grievance. No need to clean your registry, have a anti-virus software or a firewall installed or doing any other voodoo magic tricks anymore. All my hardware is lean and clean now, nearly indestructible, faster and less resource hungry. A lightweight Linux distro will also work wonders on your older hardware. Got that terribly outdated laptop you want to kick in the bin? Don't! Install a Puppy Linux and see your craptop turning into Schwarzenegger's little brother. It really is that good.

Sy Beck wrote:

Most ad programs profile the individual user so in all likelihood the ads that you saw on your screen were what the ad program knows from your browsing history that you are particulary interested in.  This of course would not apply to the "people" of LL who may have other completely different browsing interests than your own particular interests that you've exhibited.

[ETA] I said "most" ad programs, I should have said all.

No, I don't think the adds on this side work like that. I get the most random garbage here which is completely unrelated to my browser history and I know how adds look like if they adapt to my browser history. Also I get a lot new adds which I also just get to see here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.