Sign in to follow this  
Belinda Cifuentes

What's up with all the viewer problems? Can't get anything to work but Phoenix.

Question

Hello, 
i'm having some issue with viewer crash too, iwould like ask you, just to make sure if it for same reason?
Do you log online successfuly and after 1minute30~2minute viewer crash?

i'm having this since yesterday, i uninstalled n' Reinstalled most all viewer like you did "As clean install" and nothing is working.

well, and it seem there's no so many same trouble, not so easy to identify this issue.

well, so it is ithe same trouble you have?
Thanks.
Tahiya

8 answers to this question

Hello, 
i'm having some issue with viewer crash too, iwould like ask you, just to make sure if it for same reason?
Do you log online successfuly and after 1minute30~2minute viewer crash?

i'm having this since yesterday, i uninstalled n' Reinstalled most all viewer like you did "As clean install" and nothing is working.

well, and it seem there's no so many same trouble, not so easy to identify this issue.

well, so it is ithe same trouble you have?
Thanks.
Tahiya

It's very hard to diagnose problems like yours.  Viewers do make a difference.  As the basic code in viewers and servers has become more complicated over the years, some older computers have not been able to perform as well in SL as they used to.  People with problems have tried to stick with simpler viewers as long as they are available, but there are limits.  Within the past week we have had an anguished note here from a person whose 10+ year old computer is not SSE2-compliant and will not be able to enter SL once the oldest version of Phoenix goes away.  Sooner or later, we're all in that situation.

Still, it's not all about how old your computer is. The biggest source of the problems people complain about here is their Internet connection, and the most common problem is their router.  Routers need to be rebooted regularly to clear their RAM.  Routers get old and develop chronic problems.  And not all routers are created equal. Some are more robust, others have problems holding a steady connection.  A router's weaknesses are most evident if you are using wireless, which is more prone to interference anyway. Good routers are still inexpensive enough that it makes sense to replace yours when you buy a new computer, or every three years, whichever comes first. Beyond the router, there are possible loose cable connections or damaged cables, plus problems in the connections to and beyond your ISP.

For every person who has chronic problems with crashing or disconnecting in SL, there are dozens who rarely have trouble at all, regardless of how new and powerful their equipment is.  I'm still running on Win XP with a GeForce 9800 graphics card on a computer than I've had since 2009, and I rarely crash.  Other than routine maintenance (cleaning its innards with a can of air once a month, checking my cables, and rebooting the router.... ), I'm not doing anything magical.  Yet I know that other people who have some newer machines and claim to be more tech-savvy than I am have problems.  I can't explain it. 

This is long for a non-answer, and I apologize. I hear your frustration.  The best I can offer is that if you are having problems with all viewers, the viewers themselves are probably not the cause.  Collectively, yes, they are demanding more of your computer and Internet connections than viewers used to, but the issue is most likely that your machine just isn't up to the task of running them. 

• Like 1

i'm totally having the same problems....the SL viewer lets me log on for a few min but firestorm wont even log me on....all started yesterday....after 4 years of zero login issues on the same machine meeting the proper requirements now I cant log on and enjoy SL....

Updated response:

Thank you for your very thoughtful and detailed reply.  It does indeed sound as if your computer is more than capable of handling any of the current SL viewers, including Firestorm.  I agree that the System Requirements page can be a less than helpful guide.  We have fretted over that among ourselves for a long time.  The only thing I can say in Linden Lab's defense is that it would be virtually impossible to maintain a list of the thousands of graphics cards and CPUs that will work in SL, and only slightly easier to list the ones that won't work.  Im glad that I don't have that responsibility (or any other.  I'm happy being a non-Linden.)

Thank you especially for providing a couple of specific clues.  If you crash or disconnect when you teleport or change things in Preferences, that suggests a problem with either a firewall or an antivirus routine.  Teleporting, in particular, involves sending a short burst with a lot of data as your avatar is being transfered from one SL server to another.  It's a stressful moment, when failure is more likely than usual. 

It's possible that you either made exceptions for Phoenix in your AV and firewall programs without remembering that you did it, or maybe that Phoenix maganged to sneak in under their radar.  If you are on a college campus, the IT department may have introduced its own restrictions that are causing trouble for you now.  It is quite common for colleges to block or throttle heavy bandwidth users as a way of conserving system resources for people who need the Internet for studying. 

Take a look at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539 and at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/antivirus_whitelisting .

I am not quite shooting in the dark here, but your situation is not an easy one to understand.  This is a busy time for the Firestorm support staff, as Server Side Appearance is on the horizon, but I suggest that you ask for their help in the in-world support group too.  Try and find a "quiet" time like 1:00 a.m.  :smileywink:

• Like 1

same here.....all viewers,once they load to "VFS," AND IT CRASHES.the old viewers work but all avatars are grey.......

my TOSHIBA VISTA is fine....plus I keep getting--ERROR---YOUR VERSION OF---WHATEVER----DOES NT5 KNOW HOW TO DISPLAY......WHATEVER...AND UNABLE TOUPLOADASSET

Been with you since  2008 and you going to cut me off just because I dont have Windows 7 or 8?

Actually, you shouldn't have had to disable Norton.   Just create an exception for your viewer's exe file in it.  The instructions are here.  Norton has a bad track record in SL.  Their software is overly vigilant and very unforgiving.  If you have their Anti-Virus, you should create an exception for your viedwer in it too.  Here's the information on that.  One of the big problems with Norton, in particular, is that by default it scans every downloaded file for viruses.  That means every single texture that your viewer downloads to cache gets scanned, slowing down your experience like crazy.  Once you create an exception, though, the problem goes away.

You can toss the Phoenix viewer now.  it is totally obsolete at this point.  Their developers pulled the plug almost a year ago, and the introduction of SSA a couple of months ago finally did the rest of the job.  You'll never see anything but pasty gray avatars with it.

had vista on my laptop firestrom viewer 4.5.1 beta worked good then i upgraded to windows 7 now when i down loaded it with the same laptop but with windows 7 when i try to log on it starts to display the outer line of the viewer i can see firestrom viewer 4.5.1 beta in the top left hand side the middle of it is traspairent and a little white box pops up it says ok when i click on ok everything dispearsi cant use any viewer now and i am a memeber and cant play can you help user name MAnthony33 my name is mark phone nu. 567-239-2516 email markallen195@yahoo.com i had iyogi teck get in my laptop and they couldnt fix it idelete everything on my laptop that had sencondlife firestrom that i could find and try downloading it still dont work i updated windows 7 my drivers and still have this problem i need help                                                                                                                                                                                                          THANK YOU MAnthony33                                                                                                                                                                                             Mark Allen