Gangs in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I heard someone recently say that there are gangs on second life. I don't mean pretend or role playing, I mean as in actual gangs. I just wondering of anyone knows anything about this? If there are gangs, how does one spot them and what should we watch out for? What kind of stuff do they do?

Ricky40 wrote:

No , by "gang" I mean gang in the traditional real sense.

It wouldn't matter even if there were(which I would seriously doubt ANY claims made that they actually exist here). In sl they can't do anymore damage than any other griefer would. So in the context of sl, they're not really "gangs" in the same sense. Nothing really to look out for. At least, like I said, no more than you'd look out for any other griefer or group of them.

Then again, anyone can claim to be in a gang. Anyone can claim to be whatever they want in sl. They can even rp it out if they so choose. There are people in sl that really believe they're in the mafia too. There are all kinds of groups, clubs and such that have a presence in both sl and rl, that can be verified. It's just that for most their sl presence is no more than rp. What they "do" in sl has no bearing on rl and few are taken seriously.

That doesn't include charities and that sort of group that often do have just as big of an impact in sl as they do in rl.

• Like 1

Ricky40 wrote:

If there are gangs, how does one spot them and what should we watch out for? What kind of stuff do they do?

The usual things that organized crime is involved in (drugs, gambling, prostitution, money laundering, fraud, extortion, theft, etc.)?

Or fierce dance routines.

just gonna say that..it's more than likely the last place a real gang member would be is second life..

this is something that would be considered weak to them..gang is all about image and not showing weakness..even in your own..

if you really think about it..why would a real gang banger be here?

Ricky40 wrote:

I heard someone recently say that there are gangs on second life. I don't mean pretend or role playing, I mean as in actual gangs. I just wondering of anyone knows anything about this? If there are gangs, how does one spot them and what should we watch out for? What kind of stuff do they do?

Two members of a gang of forum thugs have already posted. If you hang out on this forum much you'll know who they are based on their behavior.

What they do is attack other SL users for what they like to do in SL. They don't have a to each their own mentality. Instead they bully and badger people who don't fit their view of what SL is. Basically; insecure people with hatred issues, your typical bullies or gang members.

My recommendation is to confront any gang and show others there is no reason to fear anyone in a virtual world. Once that is done they will disappear into the darkness from whence they came.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Two members of a gang of forum thugs have already posted.

I'll assume you're referring to me and one other, Sus, as you've just defined me as a "bully" in that other thread. Why so shy now?

P.S. Is this the same "gang of forum thugs" that have (had) the official stamp of approval of LL and the mods or is it a different one?

here is the worst city for gangs in the country...it's where i used to live before we moved to tennessee when i was 10..

it was bad then..but right now it's out of control..they have the largest  jail in the united states..all because of  the gang problems..

if they are on the net..it's not for a virtual experience..

where i live now..there are a lot of wannabe's..

they front all the time and i just tell them..you wouldn't last a day in chitown.. 

i just don't see real thugs from the Gangsta Deciples or the Latin kings  or ViceLords or any of the others hangng in SL

just in 2012 500 murders..when i was there it was around 80 to 100 a year and that was considered  bad back then..

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Two members of a gang of forum thugs have already posted.

I'll assume you're referring to me and one other, Sus, as you've just defined me as a "bully" in
. Why so shy now?

P.S.
Is this the same "gang of forum thugs" that have (had) the official stamp of approval of LL
and the mods or is it a different one?

cheer.gif

• Haha 1

There are Role-Play gangs, and there are Real Life Gangs, as well as RP Motor Cycle Gangs or MC's, Wannabe's and so on.

However as Second Life has anonmity and allows users to remain completely anonymous and given what you can do with scripts, including Sending Emails through Second Life, and what you can do with Second Life's Voice/SIP servers its possible to use Second Life as a communication tool on I-Pads to communicate illegally with gangs undetected, and also send emails, threats, or other crimes through Second Life servers to avoid being caught by traditional email's.

While such would break the TOS, and the user would likely get banned of course Second Life just isn't secure and can be used for bad methods Real Life, on the other had Second Life is a great Real Life simulator so to speak used properly, otherwise it can be abused as I stated above.

So yes I Would say Real Life gangs can use Second Life for bad or good purposes, otherwise its likely just Role-Play, and of course it can get violent in Second Life as in Gangs actually fighting/griefing with Multi-Tools, and such.

• Like 1

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

My recommendation is to confront any gang and show others there is no reason to fear anyone in a virtual world. Once that is done they will disappear into the darkness from whence they came.

I agree! Very good advice!

FairuzaB wrote:

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

I agree! Very good advice!

Which isn't exactly true think of it this way in Second Life Role-Play gangs can be serious business been there done that kinda thing.

But anyways think of it this way with Linden Lab's Security someone who makes an enemy of a gang or group of people who really don't care about getting banned just keep ban evading, griefing them hell out of (X) Person, their friends, griefing any sims they visit or list in their picks and so on making their Second Life a living hell, and as (X) person can't change their name if they have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new avatar they have no choice but to create a new account to get away from it all.

Even then I wouldn't say there is nothing to fear while Second Life has anonmity there are certain Interactions, and API's which can cause a users Real Life location to be compromised while using SL Services while I do not believe the actual basic user would ever have this issue its possible to get RL stalkers through SL.

A bit of advise, Never link your Second Life name to any forum names, or FaceBook, Twitter, MySpace,etc. Because stalkers can use the search engine.

• Like 1

I think it's plausible there are gangs and other organized crime units like terrorist cells and the likes in SL It seems like it would be a good way to get all their people together in a central location for meetings, deals and whatnot to receive instructions on what to do in RL. They may see it as a safer alternative to using phones, emails, etc. If they were here, I don't think their intentions would be to carry out anything in SL like lame griefer attacks, but to do their RL planning.

• Like 1

Senobia Xenga wrote:

I think it's plausible there are gangs and other organized crime units like terrorist cells and the likes in SL It seems like it would be a good way to get all their people together in a central location for meetings, deals and whatnot to receive instructions on what to do in RL. They may see it as a safer alternative to using phones, emails, etc. If they were here, I don't think their intentions would be to carry out anything in SL like lame griefer attacks, but to do their RL planning.

You reckon? But how come everyone's always complaining that  there's no privacy in SL and that they can't even have a pixel bonk in peace without the neighbours or passers-by listening in or perv-camming or even just wandering right in?

Carole Franizzi wrote:

Senobia Xenga wrote:

You reckon? But how come everyone's always complaining that  there's no privacy in SL and that they can't even have a pixel bonk in peace without the neighbours or passers-by listening in or perv-camming or even just wandering right in?

What worries me more would be the fate of the Avatar that might accidentally wander in to one of the Talibans Harems!

• 7 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.