I've been trying to log in all day without success.

ynysmore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been getting a (non responsive) very slow start for days but got in eventually.  Not today.   I looked on answers for similar and found one advising reinstalling.  So I followed the instructions for uninstalling and clean reload.  Unfortunately it hasn't worked and I still can't log in,  The reponse I am getting is:

'Darn you've been logged out of Second Life'  

I did as you suggested and got in to Smith.   I managed to look around for a few seconds then I was logged out again.

Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 12:41:07 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 480  @ 2.67GHz (2660.09 MHz)
Memory: 5999 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.14.0001.6105
OpenGL Version: 3.2.9756 Compatibility Profile Context

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

2 answers to this question

Try a couple of things quickly. 

(1) Get off wireless.

(2) Try shutting off your computer, unplugging the router and modem for a couple of minutes, and then plugging them back in and restarting.

(3) Log in to a nice quiet sim like Smith instead of logging in to your Home or your Last Location.

Those simple steps may clear up everything.  If not, open your login page but do not log in.  Click Help >>> About Second Life, in the upper left corner of your login screen, then click the Save Contents to Clipboard button.   Come back here, open this question again, and  click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question. Select EDIT and then paste the information from your clipboard into your question so we can see what your system looks like. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 1

Thanks for adding that information.  You seem to be using a notebook with a graphics chip that should be able to deliver medium quality graphics in SL under normal circumstances.  I don't see anything else in your hardware profile that would explain your problem.  I notice that you had a similar problem back in October, though.  Did it go away by itself or did you solve it somehow?

The error message you have been receiving is often related to a login process that is timing out before it completes.  This could happen, for example, if you have not been deleting group notices regularly.  Look at the icon in the upper right (or lower right) corner of your screen to see how many notices are there now.  When you log in, your viewer has to download all of those.  I think it has a 60-second window to do it in.  If you can get in world at all, start deleting any saved notices.

Other things to try (yes, I'm shooting in the dark) ...

• Disable VBO: Before logging in, press Ctrl-P to bring up the Preferences window. Then click on Graphics → Hardware Settings tab. Make sure that “Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects” is not checked.
  • Disable HTTP Get Textures: Open the preferences window, then click on Graphics → Rendering tab. Make sure “Use HTTP Textures” is not checked. Please clear your cache if you change this setting.
  • It is possible that your graphics settings are set higher than your computer can handle. To see if this is the case, go to Preferences → Graphics, and click on Reset (near the bottom).
  • Another thing you can try is: Develop → World → Dump Region Object Cache, then relog. (The Develop menu is revealed with Ctrl-Alt-Q, if you cannot see it.) This sometimes also helps deal with odd texture issues; it may need to be done several times.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.