memory allocated too high?

Tariq Xue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone.  I am trying to get some help here and I cannot find the answer and even the people I rent the land from seem to not have an answer except to restart the sim constantly.  

Here is what happens.  Constantly sometimes as much as 2 times a day the sim needs restarted.  There are several plots of land and there is always someone building something or teraforming.  The landlord says since it is so much teraforming and building that it drives the memory allocation up over 230MB and when that happens it causes problems on the sim like cannot rez,  music not working, sometimes hair does not rez when you log in or TP to the sim.  They restart the sim and the allocated memory (in the statistic bar0 goes down into around 30mb and everything is fine.  Then someone teraforms or rezzes or builds and again the memory is climbing until it gets over 200MB and then again you cannot rez,  hair wont rez on your head and all that crazy stuff.  

The landlord says this is a linden lab bug and all they can do is restart the sim until linden lab fixes it.  They say this bug has been there for many months and Linden Lab is just not fixing it.  Can someone tell me if this is real or if this is a problem with this sim so I can move if it is.  Is there a fix for this?  Anything that can be done other than restarting many times over and over.  

You are describing several bugs and limitations of Second Life. Not all of them are related to server memory usage.

For example, the bugs around things not rezzing (hair, parts of building, etc.) showed up about the same time that LL started making noise about specular and normal maps. Although I have no evidence to support my guess, I suspect that the rezzing issues are related more to changes in the rendering engine to support the new features than server memory.

The music stream comes from complete different servers (not even managed by LL). The only thing the SL server has to do is send a URL to your viewer. While there might be a bug in the SL server that is preventing it from sending the music URL to your viewer, it is probably not memory related. The more likely culprit for music not playing is on either the viewer or the streaming server end.

It is true that teraforming will use more RAM on the server. But so does script usage, prims, and avatars. I was under the impressin that the expected usage of a full region on the SL server was more like 800MB or 1GB but I can't find a reference to that in my quick search, so I may be way off.

And, just to add complications into the attempts to diagnose the cause of issues in SL, there are multiple regions per server. They share resources (memory and network for sure, probably CPU as well). So a very busy region on the same server as yours could affect your region with no way for you to even know about it.

So ... to answer your question, there is not "a" fix for the issues you are experiencing but I'm pretty sure LL is working on fixing some of the bugs and trying to reduce the impact of some of the limitations as best they can.

Curious Hazelnut wrote:

And, just to add complications into the attempts to diagnose the cause of issues in SL, there are multiple regions per server. They share resources (memory and network for sure, probably CPU as well). So a very busy region on the same server as yours could affect your region with no way for you to even know about it.

There used to be a whole thing for finding that laggy neighbor but it says now it is no longer available.

I vaguely remember something about people being able to ask that a SIM be moved to a different Server but maybe this is no longer the case.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Curious Hazelnut wrote:

There used to be a whole thing for
but it says now it is no longer available.

I vaguely remember something about people being able to ask that a SIM be moved to a different Server but maybe this is no longer the case.

It used to be that each region was locked to a specific server, so you had to request a move. LL made it more dynamic a few years ago (to speed up rolling restarts). Now, when a region goes down (including a request for a restart), it comes back up on some other random server that has space. This is also the reason why they no longer offer private island a "tier X server".

Curious Hazelnut wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Curious Hazelnut wrote:

There used to be a whole thing for
but it says now it is no longer available.

It used to be that each region was locked to a specific server, so you had to request a move. LL made it more dynamic a few years ago (to speed up rolling restarts). Now, when a region goes down (including a request for a restart), it comes back up on some other random server that has space. This is also the reason why they no longer offer private island a "tier X server".

Thanks.  Makes sense.

I do also remember reading something recently that LL had some type of algo they used now for determining what Server a SIM got located on to help even out load.  I'm not sure if this is true.  I never saw any documentation on it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.