Texture Memory Problem -- revisited

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thank you Dres & Nyll.  I tried what you said, Dres, but it didn't work.  :matte-motes-frown:   Always happens at Ambrosia Nightclub but now i don't even get to enjoy ONE track before i'm kicked.  

Are all other TPV's set up for Server-side Baking?   And windlight?   I need a viewer that is ok to take pictures too.  I don't really want to try them all out.   I just want one that works.  :matte-motes-bored:

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Thank you Dres & Nyll.  I tried what you said, Dres, but it didn't work.  :matte-motes-frown:   Always happens at Ambrosia Nightclub but now i don't even get to enjoy ONE track before i'm kicked.  

Are all other TPV's set up for Server-side Baking?   And windlight?   I need a viewer that is ok to take pictures too.  I don't really want to try them all out.   I just want one that works.  :matte-motes-bored:

I have that problem also.  Reducing the memory helped a lot for me but did not eliminate it.

It tends to occur in busy clubs.

Camming around in a busy club tends to set it off.   This is anecdotal but my impression is that zooming in on Mesh Clothes is a big culprit for me.  But I can not say that is only it.

To me that happens too, but not in busy places. It uses to happens when I am sailing long cruises.

But for sailing I like to use high draw distances (256-512 m). 1 or 2 Textures discarded is not a problem, but when it goes high, to 4-6, it is common that FS closes by itself.

I get this, usually after ramping up my graphics settings to take a few photos, in Firestorm I'll see texture memory errors, in the ofifical viewer I just end up crashing or not being able to save any more photos, although I don't see the texture memory error, it seems to be the same thing.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I get this, usually after ramping up my graphics settings to take a few photos, in Firestorm I'll see texture memory errors, in the ofifical viewer I just end up crashing or not being able to save any more photos, although I don't see the texture memory error, it seems to be the same thing.

I've wonderred about that message, whether there is something turned on by default in FS that allows you to see it that isn't turned on by default in the Official Viewer.

Any of our Viewer Experts know?

I had this EXACT same problem for months. Couldn't spend more than a few mins at any place busy and if I tried to cam around, forget it. I'd quickly start getting the discarded textures due to insufficient memory messages and the "boot" always followed shortly after :(

I tried all of the suggestions posted on the forums and then some. Nothing worked. Was so frustrating.

I finally came to the conclusion that my system simply did not have enough memeory to handle sl, particularly the busier places. 

I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 64bit and added more memory. With Windows 7 32bit, max RAM is 4.00GB. Now I'm at 8.00GB RAM. 

First day after upgrade, I went to every busy club I know. Cammed everyone and thoroughly enjoyed perving again! lol

Been 2 weeks since i made that change...no memory error messages and I've not crahsed once :) 

You can try all kinds of fixes with the various viewers, as I did, but sometimes it just comes down to the fact that the problem lies within your system.

• 2 weeks later...

Clearing the texture cache did not work for me. I think I started to get this problem after installation of Firestorm 4.4.0 or 4.4.2. It happens in Sims using a lot of RAM (memory). Lowering drastically the draw distance works, it reduces the memory usage and the message # textures discarded (...) is not coming any more. The reason is probably that less textures have to be loaded into RAM in that case, preventing the overflow. Anyway, this problem was not happening before and something has to be done in Firestorm (or Linden code). It sucks to be obliged to lower the performance at such extent.

Please continue to post your observations

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly I'm getting the same problem and it's REALLY bugging me!

I played Roller Derby in SL and NEVER had any problems with graphics on my current system  Seems that since the introduction of SSB and updates/upgrades to the available viewers I can't go anywhere remotely busy because I know that within 5 mins I get the 'Textures disregarded due to insufficient memory #' then crash.

System info:

Win XP home SP2

4GB RAM

MSI GTX460 with 1GB

Core i5 760 @2.8GHz

While it's not the fastest around these days it should be more than enough to handle SL without having to lower my graphics settings etc.

I've tried the LL viewer and Exodus and get the same error.

Have also tried the suggestions on the FS support pages, lowered my texture cache, cleared the cache, disabled VBO/http textures and just about everything else, all without any joy.

They suggested that it's an XP issue but looking at everything that's been written here it doesn't seem the case.

For the time being I've gone back to FS 4.3. and so far this has been running on ultra graphics without problem.

I really hope that someone comes up with a fix for this soon because I do like FS 4.4.2 even though I've seen more of the login screen than anything else :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same Exact problem as described wtih Firestorm 4.4.2.  I start getting "# textures discarded due to insufficient memory" and some number.

When it happens, Avatars stop rezzing and are all gray.  It is VERY frustrating.  Add to that back with Phoenix 1.5.2 I coudl go months without crashing.  Now I crash several times a day and my framerate is a tenth of what it was in Phoenix.  It feels like a giant step backward.

On the texture problem, for me, clearing my cache seems to work, but dumps all my inventory too, which has to reload. Mesh the server side appearance has been a giant step backward in performance

textures discarded due to insufficient memory is happening on Windows and on Macintosh... AND it is happening on Firestorm, on the LL Viewer, on Singularity, and on Exodus.

That should be a hint:  Don't blame it on the client OS and don't blame it on the viewer, except if they ALL has to incorporate teh same code for Server Side Baking / Appearance (is it SSA or SSB?).   This problem started before and has gotten worse wtih SSA / B.

textures discarded due to insufficient memory

Need to add one thing:  I have 8 - 2.8 GHz CPUs (dual Quad Xeon). 16 GB RAM, 55 MB / second Comcast connection, and an ATI 5870 Radeon HD Graphics Card.

I used to use ULTRA Graphics all the time in Phoenix and with new firestorm, can't go anywhere now with ULTRA as I crash all the time, and still do on high. My point being, even on a pretty good system... this is still a serious problem that I never had in my 10 years of Second Life (though in 2003 it would crash my whole computer not just sl).

Hi Steven,

This is my system:

Second Life 3.6.4 (280048) Aug 19 2013 21:45:32 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU 750  @ 2.67GHz (3911.02 MHz) Memory: 4087 MB (Quad core Lynnfield - 4.1GHz OC)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc. Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (5850)

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1151 OpenGL Version: 4.2.11931 Compatibility Profile Context

I can go around SL in Ultra with Deferred Rendering and Ambient Occlusion enabled and that's using wireless on a very slow speed of just 2.5Mbps at the moment due to my unhelpful ISP. I've never ever seen the message about textures discarded due to insufficient memory and I'm not crashing. I was getting 38 FPS on Dance Island on those graphics settings with 27 avatars in the sim. Moved and cammed around for over an hour and no issues at all. No problem using Niran's Black Dragon either on same graphics settings, although a lower FPS with 36 avatars on sim (Niran's has been my preferred viewer for ages but lacks full SSA/SSB support so now trying his Black Dragon viewer, which is based on LL's v3 - kind of still in beta though). I've not interested in the slow resource hogging Firestorm but I may try Singularity and see how it goes.

You have dual Quad Xeon, 16GB RAM and the same graphics card series as mine, although the next model up, so why can't you use Ultra or even high without crashing. I wish I had an explanation but I don't. Some residents seem to be badly affected, most using Firestorm it seems but other viewers too as you say. Some, as I am aware from other threads, say the latest v3 has a serious memory leak causing crashes after as little as 15 seconds to a few minutes in busy sims but I'm not seeing that. I've no answer.

PS. Having said all that and tempting fate, I'll probably start crashing all the time now!

I've been following this problem for a while now.  In fact, I think I was one of the first to bring it up in the Forum.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Running-Out-Of-Texture-Memory/m-p/1781809/highlight/true#M104423

What I have seen is that it can affect a wide range of Systems, from the low end to the high.

I am also beginning to think that the actual cause or problem may not be with the Viewer but may actually be a problem with Nvidia's drivers.  I could be dead wrong about that, but because I am affected by this I've been following the problem and that is just my opinion right now.

It's either that or a problem with the code for the Official Viewer.  People crashing using the Official Viewer may not realize that is the cause because as best as I can decipher, the Official Viewer may not display the error message the way the TPV's do.

Regardless, I'll be very happy when this gets sorted out and fixed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3887 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.