Black and white snapshots...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

The Firestorm viewer has about 12 or so, black & white windlight options...I use them a lot
:)
  I'm not aware of anything else without using PS or other progams after the fact.

please, can u give a sample of a unmodyfied pic with this windlight settings?

there really is no way through the viewer to make it true BW. The viewer comes close though but very comic book looking not like a traditional BW photo. I did mine as a custom setting. The photos below were taken in a BW sim in BW clothing but obnviousally the skin was in color and I was wearing some color. Results will vary on sims that are color though.

custom windlight ex1

custom setting bw 2

"Viewing" SL and "taking snaps of" SL are two different things.

As I pointed out in http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Art-Music-and-Photography/Bracketed-photos/td-p/2069433, the viewer deals with the updates of the SL "world"  as well as it can handle it.

The SL world is going to update itself  (ideally) 45 times a second, regardless of whether your viewer is keeping up or not. If your specific viewer has a limitation on how it will display each frame (such as only in BW by stripping out all color information), it is welcome to do so. If the added overhead in doing it that way is undesirable, one has the option of completely reducing their system's showing of color to be BW (NOT recommended btw!).

If you are simply wanting to know how to process snapshots w/o any outside programs (such as changing a color picture to sepia-toned), then you are asking the wrong question. Outside programs exist to do these transformations, just as they handle RL photographs

To actually view and interact w/in SL in a "Sepia Tone as I've defined it" would contribute to client-side lag to the point of reducing the SL experience to comic book frames whenever your computer managed to get through the calculations of updating a past frame.

Bottom line, take your shot and frame it as well as you can, then take it into your favorite photo-processing program to make it what you envision. Just like in Real Life.

• 9 months later...

It is possible to make SL black and White with the Singularity viewer. It only really works of the graphics are on high or above.

World>Post Processing Effects >Color FIlter - tick enable then slide Saturation down to zero

I use this all the time for my black and white pictures

Hope that helped

Laura

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.