Firestorm 4.4.1 BLOCKED. 4.4.2 UPDATE NOW AVAILABLE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Emergency 4.4.2 Updating Coming

During our beta testing of 4.4.1 we were also collaborating with LL to help them load-test the Server Side Appearance code while on Firestorm. In order to accomplish this testing we had to enable special data logging which sends quite a bit of additional information to the LL servers as well as user logs for LL to analyze....

Please see blog post for further information

Firestorm Blog

TristanMercer wrote:

Firestorm 4.4.2 is now available.

YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO LOG IN WITH 4.4.1. UPDATE NOW!

Umm, just did.

Though I did log right back out.

I'm glad for the warnings. These are the exact reason I don't typically use a new update right off the bat. Sometimes, I don't mind being a guinea pig. Sometimes, I do.

The Firestorm Dev team are human. Some code got overlooked for the SSA testing. It happened, they owned up to the mistake.

Firestorm releases are usually pretty stable, atleast for me. Some people just expect too much. Glad I am easy to please. :matte-motes-big-grin:

TristanMercer wrote:

The Firestorm Dev team are human. Some code got overlooked for the SSA testing. It happened, they owned up to the mistake.

Firestorm releases are usually pretty stable, atleast for me. Some people just expect too much. Glad I am easy to please. :matte-motes-big-grin:

The hell you rambling on about dude? I said nothing about the devs not being human. Actually, I said nothing at all bad, or expecting too much. I said I appreciate the warnings. I also said sometimes I don't feel like being a guinea pig all the time. At one point or another we all are. Hell every sl resident is a guinea pig of the lab everytime we log in. **bleep** happens, that's life.

When I said I just did, it was more to say "hey, it still works" after it should not have, and said I logged right back out. In other words, probably shouldn't do that.

TristanMercer wrote:

Firestorm asked LL to block 4.4.1 because there was code left in that was flooding LL statistic servers. LL was apparently helping Firestorm by letting them load test SSA on 4.4.1.

4.4.2 was released last night with the code removed.

Quoting from the Blog Post you linked above:

During our beta testing of 4.4.1 we were also collaborating with LL to help them load-test the Server Side Appearance code while on Firestorm. In order to accomplish this testing we had to enable special data logging which sends quite a bit of additional information to the LL servers as well as user logs for LL to analyze. Unfortunately turning this extra logging off for the release build was overlooked and did not happen. While there is no noticeable impact to you, less than an hour ago we were informed that our release of 4.4.1 was “crushing” the LL statistics servers. Suddenly we now find ourselves having to take some emergency steps to correct this issue."

My bolding above.

Also,

"As long as there are users on 4.4.1, the LL servers will continue to be inundated. The only solution to this is for us to block 4.4.1 from logging into SL as soon as 4.4.2 is available."

Again, my bolding.  While I do not know how this works, Jessica has stated on previous occasions that THEY have the ability to restrict access to SL with their Viewers.

They don't need a backdoor in the viewer. On the server end they'd just have to add that one version to whatever list they maintain of banned viewers.

Nothing weird there.

What I -DO- find weird is that this viewer was ever even on live without users of Firestorm being made aware of it first.
 But I find fault for that with LL, since this was a joint test between them and Firestorm... Not an Emerald like move, but more of a 'hey LLs, do this on the test server please... or inform people of it before you do it on live."

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

What I -DO- find weird is that this viewer was ever even on live without users of Firestorm being made aware of it first.

"During our beta testing of 4.4." .....

This would have only affected the people who were "beta testing," that would be the people using the Beta Viewer.  Whether the people doing the testing were specifically informed of this you would need to ask a Beta Tester.  It most likely was in the code notes for any one who digs into those.

So the function from the beginning was never intended for the official release that the general population uses.  Hence, there would have been no need for a 'general announcement.'  Also, I'd be very, very surprised if the special code was not in the official beta viewer also.  It would also be very very likely that the code that was included came from LL.

I think that it should come as no surprise that 'special data' is sent all the time for the purpose of trouble shooting, etc.  Somewhere in the TOS is something about the 'information they collect.'

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3942 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.