Any new avatar skin I set or create is 100% transparent, even using just blank textures. using 3.6.1

Talarus Luan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I was given a new skin by someone, and it works fine on their av in the same sim, but when I put it on, it is 100% transparent. I tried creating a new skin from textures, and the same thing happens. I even tried a new skin with just blank textures, same thing. The other person is using the latest Firestorm viewer.

Is 3.6.1 borked with skins?

Rolig/Lindal: Not that I am aware of. The av uses the human base shape  with some prim parts. The existing skin works fine, I can even put it back on and it shows up afterwards. However, any skin I make myself from two textures (top/bottom, not head), or one that is made for me, shows up as 100% transparent. It also shows up as transparent to my friend who is using Firestorm. However, she can wear the same skin on the same avatar, and it shows up just fine, both to me and to her.

There is occasionally some kind of band that appears around the waist, but it goes away when I zoom the camera in.

Marigold: I presume you mean Develop->Avatar->Character Tests->Test Male, correct? I did that, and now I am 100% invisible. No skin I wear shows up, though I do see the default male hair for a second when I change skins.

ETA: The av does use a partial alpha layer to remove the feet/hands/head/hair because it uses prim claws/digitigrade legs/head, but the rest of the skin layer shows through just fine. Even still, going back to Character Test wearing nothing turns me completely invisible.

ETA2: If I remove the alpha layer mentioned above, even the original skin goes transparent.

I think I am getting more confused by the minute. Shouldn't removing an alpha layer let MORE of the skin show through, not less? O.o

Also, copying the existing working skin, wearing it (the copy works), then editing it and changing either of the top/bottom textures, causes the entire skin to go transparent..

ANSWER: After I bug-reported this problem, Whirly Fizzle responded and pointed out that running SL on a secondary monitor causes this problem. I moved SL to my primary monitor, wore the skin, rebaked, and it finally appeared. So, this is a workaround for anyone having this problem and is running SL on a secondary monitor.

3 answers to this question

Probably not, since you are so far the only person I'm aware of with this problem.  It's more likely something peculiar to your installation or your av.  I hate to ask the obvious, since I know you have been around long enough to have thought of this yourself, but are you by any chance wearing a full body alpha layer?

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3952 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.