Using Snap to Grid issue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I've recently learned about Snap to Grid and learning how to use it is fun and easy to build with. But I've run into a snag here. I've recently started building and I'm new at it. When I get better I want to sell my builds. But the thing is, if I do it with the tutorial video I watched. ( he says use 5 inch by 5 inch blocks) It's way to many prims to have on a building that I want to sell. So I heard one way to make less prims and bigger prims is to use math which I stink at math so it's hard to do it that way. You seem to need the right size block and the right Unit spacing for them to align properly. I think that's my main issue with what I'm experiencing. 

What I'm looking for is the easiest way for a beginner to use this until I've learned enough to move onto more advanced ways to build using this feature. 

I hope this is enough information I posted.

Building measurements are in meters, not inches.  You can make prims up to 64x64x64 meters.  You will be using different size prims for different things in a building.  You can set the grid up for snapping as you wish, you don' t have to use the default and you can change it on the fly if you are using different size prims.  For instance set it up one way for putting down floor prims, another for walls etc. Here is what the various settings do:

Grid Units (meters)   Sets the distance between grid lines. Measured in meters.
Grid Extents (meters)   Sets the size of the visible white grid when dragging the red/green/blue positioning widgets instead of an axis arrow, centered on the object you're editing. Measured in meters.
Snap to sub-units   Divides the grid into smaller sub-units for greater precision. The number of sub-units depends on how closely your camera is zoomed in and goes up to 16 divisions between main Grid Units. Edited objects snap to these sub-unit lines the same way they do to a normal grid line.
View cross-sections   Displays a visible plane in the center of the object you are editing, oriented orthogonally to the axis the object is moving on. This plane extends into adjacent objects to aid precision alignment.
Opacity   Sets how transparent the grid appears. Move the slider left to make the grid more transparent, or move the slider right to make it more opaque.
  • Like 3

im sorry erase that last post.. i meant set your units to 0.250  not 0.025  .. and extents meters to 12.0 and check snap to sup units. try this and it should line up with grid better. but i think you have to keep prim size in even numbers. go to odd number and it may not line up right.. so just try to keep every thing even. and use 0.250 . let us know how it works :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.