An Idea to Combat Users Who Harass

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

yes, and a lot of older residents once in a while create new accounts for one reason or another.

Maybe they want a fresh start, without taint caused by them being associated with a vampire clan that turned bad. Or they have bad inventory trouble that even support can't solve (knew one person whose inventory would get wiped clean every other login, nobody could ever figure out why, she created a new avatar and was fine, for example).

Or they need a new avatar to visit places that won't accept their original because of groups or other profile data (yes, some sims are that way, especialy G rated sims can ban you for having a group link to a nude beach for example).

Or they go into furniture or clothing design and have a need for some models to check fits and poses.

I think the one time fee would create too high a barrier for the casual person wanting to simply check out SL. I always exit a website immediately when a paywall comes up. I'm pretty sure people won't join SL thinking, "Oh a paywall! That's good! It'll keep griefers away!" I don't like griefers either but you need to think up another idea to combat users who harass.

Darla Hadisson wrote:

Hi,

I was in two clubs last night, and in one club, some user (whose name remains anonymous) was causing trouble, and in another, one user was not only causing trouble, but also using racist terms (along the lines of the N-word, the F-word (the other kind, not the one with 4 letters or its other forms), etc.)..

I have a feeling that this sounds like the behavior of teenagers who have nothing better to do with their vacation from school except spend countless hours on the computer, playing games and even on Second Life.  Summer and Christmas seem to be occasions when times are dire and DJ's and club staff have to repeatedly eject users off the sim, only to create alts afterwards and add fuel to the fire.

I personally think the idea of Linden Labs merging the teen grid with the main grid was doing nothing but causing trouble, and I think that idea was proven to be a problem in the long run.

Before I joined SL in 2010, I did read in the forum archives that LL was going to merge the teen grid with the main grid.  I bet 2008 was better times for Second Life with no problematic teens taking advantage of SL.  Then again, the drawback was that teens used a different DOB and got through.

It has come to a conclusion that teenagers tend to take advantage of free membership to SL and other virtual worlds, and I think the idea of 
one-time registration fees for future newbies

is a good but vital idea.  A one-time fee of $1.95 and requesting immediate payment by credit card or PayPal will deter these problematic teenagers-from accessing such world, if they do plan on entering such virtual world just to harass others.  New membership may go down, but anybody can pay $1.95 if they want to seriously join SL.

If that's not a good idea, going back to the glory days of 2008 by splitting the main grid and teen grids separately may be in order.

If none of these are possible, there's nothing more that I can say other than the fact that I cannot wait for September.

I agree it would be great if Linden Lab would go back to require DOB, Email Confirmation, Name, and possibly even charge $2 fee to create an account or something.

There is currently nothing you can do about Harassment, It will go on as long as Linden Lab does not take any measures, or add IP-Verification accounts will continue to get compromised/hijacked maybe worse in the future

I know about harassment from experience, I am not going to give names of the users, but there are about 4 Second Life users who have made it to the top of my harassment list, and they well deserved it mostly Role-Players who CopyBot my friends entire store So I went after them starting in late 2009, spread the word about them, Posted posts all over the internet on Second Life blogs with their names on it, and continue to spread the word with any updated information I get from my inside friends in Second Life who email me information on them, and the community doing these type of things.

Oh and as far as the legal issues, They told me they were going to get a lawyer, You see I guess Cheaters/Hackers who disrupt others in games do not like to be called out. But guess what nothing happened why? Because I had too much on them, and in the long run this is what they sent out about me those years ago, I censored the last part of the Note-Card so I could post it here. ("http://pastebin.com/Rem3A59S ( "Obviously"  some of the information in here was given wrong, but what do you expect to someone writing a sad story in fear can't get the information right")

Yep did I start crap with this group of people and all their Copy-Botting alliances absolutely right I did.  Let me give you a hint, Inspect every Member of your big Gorean Alliance, Inspect everything they wear, Inspect those whose friends are friends with others in the big Tribial Allinaces and if you do your job Correctly and you do not find a single piece of stolen cotent ripped by another member linked back to a Gorean alliance group that your friend assoiciates with I will be shocked. And for the record no I didn't play it guilt by assoiciation, I just called out every group whose owner knew about these griefers in their groups and did nothing because its as bad as pulling the trigger yourself when you stand around letting botters rip off your animations and avatars and you know about it.

So bottom Line something to keep in mind, You don't mess with me or my friends We mess with you., Even if its not in Second Life but another game like Clan, or Gaming Communities, I can deal with it all the same just done a bit differently, and most gamers I know of from my clan hold dark secrets of cheating they ever cross me perhaps I just call them out "For Example".

Oh and I  can say for certain, I was not one of the people who run the 16 SQM Parcel Gorean Meter Farms when it was cheatable back in the day to cheat RP items, I knew those who would rent sims and do this, until it was fixed, and I also knew of those who cheat the GM system. In fact to be honest Had I not have joined "GOR" in 2009, I would have never learn about what a Copy-Bot really was, or what Permissions Exploiting was, it was from my group I learn this from, and I absolutely hated hearing about it because to me its one of those things like in Video Game design once you know all about scripted events and how it works it is just boring to play a single player game with QTE/script events. But since I saw what was going on and wasn't one of the blind Ignorant RP players, That is where   I took the stand to do something about it or what I could anyways.

Currently as I don't play Second Life anymore I really don't care what peeps think about me, but what I do know is that those who actually knew me well will always remember the kitty.

In fact I remember a couple of years ago now Crashing a big party in at least two RP sims full of people because of their illegal actions a friend who was on a VPS server helped me grief these no good for nothing botting communty except we didn't just crash everyone, we put our chat spammers that spammed Text & URL sim wide, and blue box to make sure every Role-Player who was in the area saw the evidence, and crashed the people who had admin rights to ban the sims were so lagged up that bans would not trigger, and in a matter of 5 minutes Linden Lab employee logged out and perma banned the account, goes to show what Lindens will do to a griefer if someone who is paying a lot of money calls in a complaint or Linden Friend. In general I have no problem with Linden Friends banning griefers its well deserved, but I have a problem with the RP community who supports the Goons who hacked my account, and the ones who  Bot a lot of merchants I know daily just because they can. 

But it didn't matter the point and message was delivered to them all loud and clear that Botting from merchants I know is not wanted, and I am sure it lost them some players who didn't want to be in the middle of the griefing war.

So to answer something.

A. Linden Lab does need to Do Something to prevent harassment/griefing in Second Life all around, they also need to do something about sim owners who know about players on their sims breaking the TOS and take action against the owners like the WoodBury, Digital Worlds, Reddit sims, I have no idea why they got closed only rumors so why not close down these RP sims who support Griefing, and Botting beyond me.

B. You have your Griefer who just goes around and  does random things for the laughs, these are the type of griefers I absolutely hate people who crash sand-box, or just enter clubs curse people out like you talk about without a reason and make a new account each time.

C. You have the griefer who does things out of revenge, In general most grief, or Revenge Crimes in Second Life always start because of a Cause- Effect Reason, not just out of no where Player A does something Player B Strikes Back.

Just a synopsis for those who don't want to read the WOT:

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Blah blah blah I'm a griefer and I harass people in SL blah blah blah here's documentation of what other people have seen me do and the excuses that I make for myself blah blah blah word got out about me in Gor and they want nothing to do with me blah blah blah I've even been banned from SL for my actions blah blah blah. Oh, and I don't even play in SL anymore but I have a lot of opinions about it blah blah blah.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Just a synopsis for those who don't want to read the WOT:

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

Blah blah blah I'm a griefer and I harass people in SL blah blah blah here's documentation of what other people have seen me do and the excuses that I make for myself blah blah blah word got out about me in Gor and they want nothing to do with me blah blah blah I've even been banned from SL for my actions blah blah blah. Oh, and I don't even play in SL anymore but I have a lot of opinions about it blah blah blah.

Thank you Griffen.

An excellent synopsis.

She must have run out of batteries for her vibrator again.

It wouldn't work. Most people will not sign up for something that costs, with no trial. From some countries, particularly Eastern Europe and South America, payment may not be not possible at all. And if there is a free trial, people will still use that for griefing.

A better solution is for the venue to require group membership for entry and charge a one-time fee to join the group.

Lewis Luminos wrote:

A better solution is for the venue to require group membership for entry and charge a one-time fee to join the group.

What if I'm just "browsing" and I'm not sure that I want to join a group? I may not even have a group slot to spare. Some of my groups I may have already paid to get into. To have to leave one just to go check a venue out??? To have to pay for such a "privilege" when I have no idea whether I'll like the place or not??? What if I decide, after five minutes, the the lag is unbearable, the music sucks, the people there are idiotic gesturbators and particle whores, and I want nothing to do with the place? Do I get a refund?

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

What if I'm just "browsing" and I'm not sure that I want to join a group? I may not even have a group slot to spare. Some of my groups I may have already paid to get into. To have to leave one just to go check a venue out??? To have to pay for such a "privilege" when I have no idea whether I'll like the place or not??? What if I decide, after five minutes, the the lag is unbearable, the music sucks, the people there are idiotic gesturbators and particle whores, and I want nothing to do with the place? Do I get a refund?

Those questions would be up to the venue owner to decide. But if Second Life itself required a joining fee it would surely be a lot more than the few lindens it might be to join a club's VIP group.

I don't intend to charge a fee for my own club, but if I did at some point decide that it was necessary, I would manually refund the entry fee to everyone who doesn't grief. The purpose isn't to raise revenue after all, it's to stop griefers getting in. 

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Those questions would be up to the venue owner to decide. But if Second Life itself required a joining fee it would surely be a lot more than the few lindens it might be to join a club's VIP group.

I don't intend to charge a fee for my own club, but if I did at some point decide that it was necessary, I would manually refund the entry fee to everyone who doesn't grief. The purpose isn't to raise revenue after all, it's to stop griefers getting in. 

Also Second Life is an Actual Service/Grid, There should be a one time fee to access the grid, or perhaps if there was a one time fee for isntant access or a 1-4 week waiting period if joining as a free user and Linden Lab verified the account the IP address it was created from and saw it wasn't a troll account name such as (Bobtehgrifarrr111) or something then manually activated the account without a fee then it would be fine and still help restrict griefers.

I say the best way to deal with the griefers is deactivate all accounts who are not Sim Owners, Premium users, and require that the user verify their email address again this would fully get rid of anyone not using their real email and disposable email accounts.

Then put in Information Requirements like.

1. Real Life Name, Address, Phone Number ETC.

2. Require Phone Verification like Google instead of a fee to join?

Personally I dont care about what happens in another country or if Second Life gets banned from all other countries, Second Life is a service run in the United States OF America to my knowledge, if they have laws that restrict it or can't play Second Life anymore because of it then too bad. (Not to be rude about it) But something needs to be done and as this is a U.S service its bound by U.S Laws which I believe makes it legal for requesting this information am I wrong?

As for the comments about griefers and vibrators. Well there are griefers, and Linden Lab obviously needs to do something to help the matter, but they are not so its up to us to deal with them sadly as a community and deal with it how you see fit. My way to deal with a group of griefers is to get revenge and paying them back, and of course there are forum trolls who know absolutely nothing about any of the incidents or things I have seen or been part of and why.  To keep it short I will not stand around in Second Life when I am playing and watch while any group griefs others without a damn good reason, or CopyBot merchants I know there will be Revenge taken out on any and all involved individuals, and you will be exposed for those who don't like reading.

This is why I agree that Linden Lab needed to do something starting years ago to protect users accounts with IP Verification, and add measures to help prevent griefers from using disposable email accounts, and just keep making account after account to grief becuase not everyone who griefs does it for revenge.

There are.

1. A Players who grief and do harassment to get enjoyment/Fun out of it.

2. B Players who Grief out of revenge Insert X reason here a dispute between two parties or don't like something that is being done to them or their friends, which is the type of person I am and always will be.

3. There are actually Hit-Men/Griefers for hire outside Second Life easily paid off $50 a week for example or more depending on the job they will deal with all your needs, I wont discuss this in Second Life at all.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Due to the venue being constantly griefed, if I'm not mistaken Junkyard Blues now requires being in its group to go there.  I'm not sure if there is a charge for the group or not. 

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Due to the venue being constantly griefed, if I'm not mistaken Junkyard Blues now requires being in its group to go there.  I'm not sure if there is a charge for the group or not. 

There is no charge to join the JY group.  The only restriction is the account must be at least seven days old.

This action along with a few other things has reduced the griefing there to about zero.

Personally I dont care about what happens in another country or if Second Life gets banned from all other countries, Second Life is a service run in the United States OF America blah-blah-blah

You would care when half your favourite content creators disappeared because they're outside of the US and no longer have access. Then the other half close their businesses because 90% of their customers can't log in any more and they are losing money hand over fist.  Even US users wouldn't stay because the grid would be mostly empty and abandoned and theres no more shopping or entertainment.  Linden Lab would then be forced to pull the plug shortly after, because without their tier and estate payments they go quickly bankrupt.

Yeah thats a great way to get rid of griefers. Gets rid of everybody else too.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

Heart Brimmer wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Lewis Luminos wrote:

THERE IS NO CHARGE TO JOIN THE JUNKYARD GROUP.  THE ONLY RESTRICTION IS ACCOUNT MUST BE AT LEAST SEVEN DAYS OLD.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.