Being online without being online?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to be shown online to people without being online?

Thats what must have happend yesterday night to me. Because today I found stored messages from someone who I had talked to before I went offline. I wished her a good night, closed my viewer and turned my PC offline 15-20 minutes later.

From the time the message was send it must have been shortly after I closed my viewer that I seem to have shown as online to her.

Yes I do believe the logging out process can take up to even several minutes. It can even sometimes hang & fail which leads to 'ghosted' avatars. I guess Linden thinking is since you already logged out there is no reason to allocate much resources towards the logout process and thus it is a low priority function.

Sometimes I see the "friend is offline" message pop up just as I am pressing return for the final goodnight.  If I send a message close enough in time to when they logged off, then I will see "friend is online" pop up, and they stay listed as on-line in my contact list till I restart SL.  

Yes, I've had friends say goodnight and seemingly log but if I subsequently check my friends list, still appear online. If I IM and say, oh, you're still online, the IM seems to trigger the correct offline status. For some odd reason, it happens with one friend in particular most times she logs and I don't know why.

Rhys Goode wrote:

Sometimes I see the "friend is offline" message pop up just as I am pressing return for the final goodnight.  If I send a message close enough in time to when they logged off, then I will see "friend is online" pop up, and they stay listed as on-line in my contact list till I restart SL.  

I've had this identical thing happen quite a bit.

I've also had one or more people from my friends list log off almost immediately after I log in.  After that happened several times, I wondered if they were avoiding me. (I know...paranoia much? :smileyvery-happy:)  I checked their profiles and they showed being online so I sent an IM that had the "person offline" message.  The profile showed that the person was online for another five minutes or so.

ETA: Errrr...what Nyll said. 

*Note to self: Read the entire thread before posting.* :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.