My first Truth hair and I'm not sure if this is normal

xoxoJxoxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, so I purchased my very first Truth hair today, Tawny, and I LOVE it so much. I just have a question though regarding the look of it. I don't think I noticed this in the demo, it could have been the clothes I wore perhaps. I just changed outfits and I noticed a strange mirrored reflection coming from my floor. So I can see the floor in my hair. See the below photo. Is this normal?

Actually, is that because the dress I am wearing is also Mesh with an Alpha layer? I just changed clothes to a system dress and there's no strange reflection.

Thank you.

Snapshot_002.png

You're seeing a problem that happens when objects with alpha TEXTURES are in front of each other. Alpha textures are ones that are partially transparent, like the ones on the pieces of the hair that are "wispy." You aren't seeing a reflection; you're actually seeing straight through your avatar. It doesn't have to do with alpha LAYERS which are worn on your underlying avatar and don't cause the same problem.

I'm curious as to why that dress uses alpha textures at all though - does it have sheer spots? I can wear a very similar mesh hairstyle with mesh dresses without seeing that issue. See if the same thing happens with mesh clothing from a very experienced  meshmaker like ColdLogic (using a demo should be fine.) If you paid a lot for that dress I'd notify the maker of that issue - using the alpha texture may have been a mistake and it will cause the same problem with a lot of mesh hair.

I don't think it's the dress. I have a mesh dress and hair that I made for myself: the dress has no alphas, since it's perfectly adjusted to my body, but the hair has transparency, just just Truth's. I still get this error once in a while, with no real obvious reason why. When I went looking for answers in some help groups, they said it's just SL's imcompatibility to process multiple layers on top of each other. There's really nothing we can do and, as the creator of these items, they didn't give me any solution for the problem.

Spinell wrote:

I don't think it's the dress. I have a mesh dress and hair that I made for myself: the dress has no alphas, since it's perfectly adjusted to my body, but the hair has transparency, just just Truth's. I still get this error once in a while, with no real obvious reason why. When I went looking for answers in some help groups, they said it's just SL's imcompatibility to process multiple layers on top of each other. There's really nothing we can do and, as the creator of these items, they didn't give me any solution for the problem.

It's actually the combination of the dress and hair. if your dress has any invisible portion at all and your wear something with an a invisible portion on top (technically these invisible portions are called alphas which is not the same as  an alpha layer in sl) then it will become see through. It happens in all games it's just that  other games have proffessionals who work to minimize this issue. It's 'caused by an inability to properly sort the alphas.

That said what you can do is make a copy of the hair (ALWAYS SAVE A BACKUP) and replace it's texture with a texture that has no invisible areas( AKA alphas). I have a hair texture that's white with no invisible areas (alphas) in my store under my avie name for 0L you can try out. I created it for people who use prim boobs as this is a huge problem in that community.

What may be the problem with those dresses is that a texture might be an alpha texture even if it doesn't have to be. With a non-alpha texture, each pixel tells your graphics card, "Hi! I have this much red, this much green and this much blue." With an alpha texture each pixel will say, "Hi! I have this much red, this much green, this much blue and I'm this transparent." If a file was set up as an alpha texture it will cause the problem you're seeing even if none of it is actually transparent - i.e. all of the pixels say "I'm not transparent at all." It'll be caused because the video card treats it as a POTENTIALLY transparent texture because that's how the file organization works. 

I have noticed that some of the alpha layers for mesh will conflict  with my alpha hair.  Is not much you can do about it since the glitch is an issue in all types of computer graphic heavy venues.  Different viewers may see the issues differently as well.

What I do, if you are that picky, is experiment with various combinations of clothes and hair to see what NOT to pair together then create your outfits to wear later.    Truthfully, I doubt many will even notice unless you are in their face and point it out.  We generally have an unspoken social rule to ignore such things unless they are horribly blatant.

I think I have worked out what is wrong. I have just started mesh texturing myself, and today I made a texture and saved it as PNG but with transparency checked. I wore my newly textured mesh dress, and saw the see through hair bits happening again. So I went back into photoshop, saved the png as NO transparency, retextured my mesh dress and the hair was fine :)

So, that seems to be the answer.... ?

The dress texture was probably saved as png, it carries transparency info, anything wih transparency overlapping will glitch because the engine cant understand which is on the front and which is on the back =) if you save as jpg that wont happen, save it optimized so you wont lose quality on the texture, you will even end up with a smaller file

xoxoJxoxo wrote:

I think I have worked out what is wrong. I have just started mesh texturing myself, and today I made a texture and saved it as PNG but with transparency checked. I wore my newly textured mesh dress, and saw the see through hair bits happening again. So I went back into photoshop, saved the png as NO transparency, retextured my mesh dress and the hair was fine
:)

So, that seems to be the answer.... ?

Yes it's because the game code( and this happens in all games just some know how to minimize the effect) don't know how to sort the transperancies. another alternative is to change the hair texture to a jpg one thiw would alos elemant the issue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.