Unfixed exploits?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, this is something that's odd to me about SL.

To this day, people can still crash regions, and crash other user's GPUs. Why have these exploits never been fixed? Further, why does LL do so little to people that do these things?

An IP/MAC ban can be circumvented in about 8 seconds. 15 seconds if you don't know what you're doing.

I dunno, I keep a decently close eye on updates and fixes that LL pushes out, and rarely do I see in the list "fixed an exploit" of any kind.

Further, I think punishment is an issue. When you crash a server and get a slap on the wrist IP ban, there's nothing stopping you from coming back and doing it over and over.

Search for "crash mode" in server release notes, there were at least a dozen this year already.

Most other security fixes won't be listed at all. On the occasions when they are listed, they are described in a way that avoids calling them security fixes.

Viewer patches work about the same way. Even when you can see in the repositories what's going on, the release notes will step around that in the descriptions, or simply not mention them.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I dunno, I keep a decently close eye on updates and fixes that LL pushes out, and rarely do I see in the list "fixed an exploit" of any kind.

Further, I think punishment is an issue. When you crash a server and get a slap on the wrist IP ban, there's nothing stopping you from coming back and doing it over and over.

How would ban these people? If the ID0, MAC/IP, MD5 on UUID and Name packets, and 60 second stat packets are not enough, and especially if the object logs and IM logs LL keep for everyone (you do know LL record everything said in IM and keep who owned an object forever don't you?) are not enough to trace things to their source... how do you propose they are stopped? 

LL have had 10 years of greifer hunting experience and while they can easily cull off 90% with those and a few other really clever counter measures I won't mention, this will ALWAYS be an arms race.

As LL develop a new countermeasure the griefer will develop a new attack... because this is their game and what they do for fun.

Fix the exploits I hear you say before I even hit enter on this.... impossible in reality, even banks can be hacked.

The only solution is for you to abandon mainland and get some covenant based land away from the griefers.

Friend of mine gave me this the other day , Not sure how well it works but might help. Seems that they would have to disable features just to stop it. Some filters would be nice. . It is a never ending process chasing exlpoits in general.

Contains information on how to adjust a few debug settings that will allow your viewer to automatically derender rezzed or worn graphics crashers-

-SecondLife Viewer-

Open Debug settings and set the following values:

Me---> Preferences---> Check Show Advanced Menu--->Debug---> Debug Settings

RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit  114

RenderAutoMuteSurfaceAreaLimit   2100

RenderAttachedLights    FALSE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Firestorm Viewer-

Hold (Ctrl / Alt / Shift / S)

RenderSculptSAThreshold  114.000

RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit  114.000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Singularity Viewer-

Advanced----> Debug Settings

RenderAutoHideSurfaceAreaLimit  114

Once set your viewer will automatically defender any worn or rezzed linksets that lag & crash your graphics driver

Gadget Portal wrote:

So, this is something that's odd to me about SL.

To this day, people can still crash regions, and crash other user's GPUs. Why have these exploits never been fixed? Further, why does LL do so little to people that do these things?

An IP/MAC ban can be circumvented in about 8 seconds. 15 seconds if you don't know what you're doing.

I can do this in under 3 seconds ^^

But yeah I know what you mean them griefer scumbag goons, I have told Linden Lab for years we need more protection, we need Linden lab to keep age verification so that on adult regions we have to provide Real ID to get into the sim which any 9 year old can get into SL just say they over 18 and click I am over 18 free pass to adult club I believe there should be a requirement just like RL in SL to require a bouncer checking ID aka if it was like this there would be a lot less griefers in adult sims.

How long does it take LL to even add IP- Verification like in Guild Wars 2 about 5 years I think I was speaking to some friends about this too and about maybe returning to SL if such was fixed but SL in its current state is bad.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.